Post your home network setup Vol. streaming HD video, network storage, etc.

Nope, no access over USB. WDTV Live is a good choice for what you want to do. I used to do the same with the original WDTV that only played files over USB and it worked great.

The Live Hub is just a Live+ with a built-in HD and a newer, snappier interface (which is the reason I bought it, just to display my movies in "cooler" way). The Live plus has the same features as the hub (netflix, streaming over network) so I'd say go for it.

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

The POGO device seems to be cool to share photos and some small sized files, but the device is ugly and you have to connect devices directly to it? Would just add to the clutter of a home theater set up, I am good with an HDMI cable straight from my video card to my 50" TV (four 1.5 TB drives in my build).
TV has built in internet so I could always stream, but no point in streaming if my build is close byand playing MVK files could be affected by my internet connection.

This is ugly??

pogoplug_pro_news.jpg

like i said. does the job, and its $99.00.....

- has wifi
- built in remote printing (plug in a printer) print from Butt F Egypt
- setup sharing w/friends or fam with either direct link or password protected
- link straight to facebook
- quiet ..no noise
- do it all w/out booting up PC/Desktop/MAC
- reads all storage devices, linux, macdrive, fat, ntfs, ext3, etc

Its serves its purpose but having hard drives in your living room isn't the greatest unless you have the space and storage to hide everything, plus it has its own issues with playing back larger video files (but then again what media device doesn't have its issues).

I am also not big on having devices "stand up", not for everyone I guess.

I think more people are interested in sharing videos (anywhere from 700 MB to 10 GB files) over their network, which the POGO isn't the best for. For documents and pictures, it's great though. Music and video are both buggy. NAS is the better choice for those.

Hardwire at WDTV plus, and you're good for any size video files in 1080p.

Sorry, I'm a little obsessed with home networking since I had to figure out how setup wireless in our new house last year using multiple access points with one SSID
laugh.gif
I felt pretty accomplished when I could go anywhere inside or outside my house (9000 sq. ft with thick walls - no bragging, just to give an idea of what I had to deal with) and not lose wifi
pimp.gif

Alright I think I have finally made a decision.
I'm going to get the WD TV Live Plus and a 500 or 750 portable WD Elements drive.
Does anyone know if I am able to hook up desktop drives to the media player?
I've tried to hook up my WD Elements desktop drive to my 360 and it doesn't mount. Is that because it runs on ac power and not usb?
Also does anyone have any recommendations on HDMI cables?
I'm thinking about going with these since they are cheap. http://www.amazon.com/gp/...UTF8&me=&seller=
The only thing I'm looking for in a hdmi cable is quality, reliability, good/crisp video/audio connection, and at least 10 feet.
As always thanks NT.
pimp.gif

Am I the only one using a Boxee Box?

I'll update with pics but I currently have,
- 40" Old Samsung LCD
- Belkin Wireless N Router with LCD Display
- Slim PS3
- Boxee Box hardwired to Ethernet
- Comcast Box
- MacBook Pro that has all my data stored on it
- iPad to control Comcast via Xfinity app

What I'm considering...
- Netgear dual band router
- Monster power line, runs Ethernet through the wall!
- 51" pnd8000 Samsung plasma
- downloading boxee iPad app when it comes out

And to the dude with the Sonos, that is one gangster setup you got, I wonder how much you dropped on all that. I'm running a bluetooth adapter to my Bose Companion 2's until some Boxee does a firmware update to support AirPlay.

My setup isn't that impressive but I do have about 5 TB worth of HD space for everything I do with the interwebz.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HidayetTurkoglu

Am I the only one using a Boxee Box?

I'll update with pics but I currently have,

- 40" Old Samsung LCD

- Belkin Wireless N Router with LCD Display

- Slim PS3

- Boxee Box hardwired to Ethernet

- Comcast Box

- MacBook Pro that has all my data stored on it

- iPad to control Comcast via Xfinity app

What I'm considering...

- Netgear dual band router

- Monster power line, runs Ethernet through the wall!

- 51" pnd8000 Samsung plasma

- downloading boxee iPad app when it comes out

And to the dude with the Sonos, that is one gangster setup you got, I wonder how much you dropped on all that. I'm running a bluetooth adapter to my Bose Companion 2's until some Boxee does a firmware update to support AirPlay.

My Sonos setup is VERY small compared to what some people have (I'm talking like 20 different zones). I only have two S5's which are $400 each. Sound is amazing out this little box, it can fill my entire backyard. You should give it a listen at best buy. I bought it mainly to have music in the pool area, the other one is connected over ethernet in the living room. I love it, the iPad remote app is great too. I don't really like airplay bc I feel like that much streaming will kill the battery. I like all my music being on the NAS so I can access my music without my computer being on.

Also, I wouldn't do Powerline. See if you can just run ethernet threw the wall, a lot of times it's cheaper than powerline. They have their problems running through your electrical system and speeds can get slower than G speeds.

In my house we have Uverse service. Airport extreme plugged into the 2wire router. Two Airport express linked via WDS with my desktop connected to one. Then four laptops connected via wifi. I'm looking into getting some sort of NAS setup so I can share my music/videos/pictures without having it come from my computer. The sonos sounds interesting though, I've recently just been using one of my airport express and a jbl 2.1 setup in my backyard.

I live alone in a condo and have just have my desktop pc, laptop, ps3 and my external hd as back up for mostly all the music and files I have. Right now if I have a movie on my desktop pc I just move it to a jump drive and stick it in my ps3 to watch it. The only thing I do with my ps3 is watch blu rays and stream Netflix... nothing else really unless I go on the internet to show friends a vid so we don't have to gather around my laptop. My 60g itunes library with the digital copies of my blu rays is on my desktop pc and I haven't added itunes to my laptop yet since I just got it. 

Is there any reason I should setup a network? Benefits/cool stuff/easier? I feel like I should have things setup differently but I obviously I really don't know anything about home networks ha
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

got a 4 port Netgear switch and apple time capsule (500GB, use it to back up MBP daily) connected to a wireless N cable router.

500GB lacie external HD connected to time capsule to share movies to all computers (besides my pc, which i cannot connect for the life of me)

i use connect 360 to stream movies to my xbox through my MBP (which gets it from the external HD)

my ps3 sits there and collects dust.

xbox 1 (connected to tv) is connected to time capsule
xbox 2 (connected to monitor that it shares with my gaming pc) is connected to time capsule
ps3 is connected to switch
MBP is connected to time capsule
Gaming PC is connected to switch

yes, i have 2 xboxes in the same room.

white xbox is my personal xbox that only i use.
elite is for everybody else that comes over (usually smaller cousins)

bros pc is connected wireless to guest network (time capsule)
dad's pc is also connected wireless to guest network (time capsule)

what i want:
media server
HTPC

i think that's it.
eek.gif
sick.gif

Please post pics 
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by CWrite78

got a 4 port Netgear switch and apple time capsule (500GB, use it to back up MBP daily) connected to a wireless N cable router.

500GB lacie external HD connected to time capsule to share movies to all computers (besides my pc, which i cannot connect for the life of me)

i use connect 360 to stream movies to my xbox through my MBP (which gets it from the external HD)

my ps3 sits there and collects dust.

xbox 1 (connected to tv) is connected to time capsule

xbox 2 (connected to monitor that it shares with my gaming pc) is connected to time capsule

ps3 is connected to switch

MBP is connected to time capsule

Gaming PC is connected to switch

yes, i have 2 xboxes in the same room.

white xbox is my personal xbox that only i use.

elite is for everybody else that comes over (usually smaller cousins)

bros pc is connected wireless to guest network (time capsule)

dad's pc is also connected wireless to guest network (time capsule)

what i want:

media server

HTPC

i think that's it.
eek.gif
sick.gif

Please post pics 
embarassed.gif

i sold my ps3, gave away one xbox and looking to sell the other. got rid of my network drive and switch and just kept it simple.

now it's just my mac, gaming pc, and a roku connected to router wireless and wired.

anyone have any network enabled surveillance systems in their houses or rooms. I'm moving out soon and was looking at that logitech alert 750i for my room.

Originally Posted by OGMIKEY

anyone have any network enabled surveillance systems in their houses or rooms. I'm moving out soon and was looking at that logitech alert 750i for my room.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking.

My area isn't that bad, I'm just paranoid since it's not going be my family home anymore. I'm in SoCal (818) looking at places around mid wilshire or closer to culver city.

I need to get a new NAS, the WD MY book word edition is way too slow. I did end up getting the WD TV Live hub for the media room. The interface looks pretty sweet, automatically finds all the info for your video files including trailers. Also has a built in 1TB HD that can be used as a NAS, but again transfer is really slow.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

Originally Posted by lokiD40

i'm a network admin, and all you need is this:

pogoplug-web-architecture-annotated.jpg

- streams to xbox 360 (plays HD vids)
- streams to iphone/ipod touch via pogoplug app --- see ur pix, mp3s, files, movies,etc
- has auto backup of any files/directories you want via desktop client
- is ACCESSIBLE anywhere you have an internet connection
- you can add 4 external harddrives/thumbdrives..currently i have 2TB connected to this.

ALL for $99.00!!  WINNING  
pimp.gif
eek.gif
Copped!!!

[h4][/h4]
[h4]Cloud Engines recalls potentially flammable Pogoplug Video[/h4]
By Joe Pollicino posted Jun 17th 2011 9:48AM

Looks like sharing videos over the cloud may be a risky task -- if you're using the box shown here on the left, that is. The Pogoplug Video hit the retail scene about two months ago, but Cloud Engines has already issued a recall after two devices nearly went up in flames. According to The Official Pogoplug Blog, the internal chip that handles video encoding can experience "thermal runaways" after long periods of use, which could cause the device to reach unsafe temperatures; this despite having a fan to keep things cool. The affected model numbers include Pogo P-11 through 14, and the company asks that owners get in contact to setup a return and refund. In the meantime, it also suggests that the units be unplugged -- a good idea if you want to avoid possibly burning the house down.

Back
Top Bottom