Post your toys! Vol. 1?

This has become a very satisfying and addicting hobby. Very fun and I’m excited to try a higher grade at some point.
D675E7EF-3D69-4EB4-BE7F-8EEF185C3D88.jpeg
8480E64A-EDF6-4EC5-A1CA-D875EBF1A3FF.jpeg
993551FA-09C4-4EC0-966A-068B2EC6A057.jpeg
28D41276-5704-4F27-8B28-4D1CF1840D7B.jpeg
A0873E04-E6E4-4248-8820-B17C909A0D1C.jpeg
FF94D5FE-5B6B-4BD2-B52A-7CC6D2F8B911.jpeg
D677EEE8-E0E8-4F9A-B084-10A009E91DA4.jpeg

keep it up! here's a tip. Remove the nub thats on the crowns fins. They are meant to be sharp.

Also invest in a great nipper. I recommend GodHand.

Also learn to panel line. You can use a gundam panel liner marker as a beginner.

keep it up! here's a tip. Remove the nub thats on the crowns fins. They are meant to be sharp.

Also invest in a great nipper. I recommend GodHand.

Also learn to panel line. You can use a gundam panel liner marker as a beginner.
I’ll have to take a look at the fins you’re talking about. I thought I cut them at the right spot but I’ll check it out.

I have Godhand nippers but I learned that there are two kinds of nippers, one for cutting the runner and then a second that are better for cutting the nub marks.

I did do a little panel lining.

Attachments

• E88950AA-E8DB-4DC4-B9ED-880C9454046F.jpeg
    E88950AA-E8DB-4DC4-B9ED-880C9454046F.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 16
You can use the godhand for both if you want. Thats if you have the best version (around $50 per). Keep in mind that its delicate so thats why ppl advise against using it on the runners (ive broken one once because of that).

You might have cut the fins, but they are not as clean as can be. I use a exacto knife for shaving off.

You can use the godhand for both if you want. Thats if you have the best version (around $50 per). Keep in mind that its delicate so thats why ppl advise against using it on the runners (ive broken one once because of that).

You might have cut the fins, but they are not as clean as can be. I use a exacto knife for shaving off.

I swear by my godhands. I use the dspiae cutters for the initial cuts and follow up with god hands. Since I paint godhands aren’t 100% needed because I have to do surface prep anyway so the nub makers don’t have to look clean they just have to be flush.

I swear my godhands too.. buts all about techniques of cutting. But Godhands does make its MUCH easier.
I rarely have to even shave or sand because the godhands are that good.
Since I dont paint, I need to make sure theres no nub marks. I have ways to hide mistakes though when it happens by chance.

Also, learn to use waterslide decals. Never use stickers.

Not sure if Ive posted this here but this is my unleashed RX-78-2.
Keep in mind, ive done over 20HGs and 10 MGs before I even started this.
PS: I never paint / weather my builds.

IMG_5711.jpg

I’ve got this in the back log for when I have time to finish it and do it Justice. I’ve got a resin upgrade kit to turn it into the origin style rx-78. Hoping to take it on some time next year

5E89F85B-2F4D-4567-B24F-A03F3B125AD5.jpeg
C633689F-364F-4527-B7D8-EA682EFDB3C5.jpeg

I swear my godhands too.. buts all about techniques of cutting. But Godhands does make its MUCH easier.
I rarely have to even shave or sand because the godhands are that good.
Since I dont paint, I need to make sure theres no nub marks. I have ways to hide mistakes though when it happens by chance.

Also, learn to use waterslide decals. Never use stickers.
Agreed. Most of the time I won’t even take on a kit that doesn’t have atleast 3rd party water slides available.

Resin kits always look cool, but since I do not paint, I dont even bother. But there's a lot of youtubers that i follow like itsagundam, that do great work with resin kits and lighting.

The unleashed was probably the hardest but most fun built I have ever done. It kinda ruined me also since now I dont want go back to MGs.
I'm hoping they do more with the unleashed line and release more kits in that size/complexity in the future.

Resin kits always look cool, but since I do not paint, I do even bother. But there's a lot of youtubers that i follow like itsagundam, that do great work with resin kits and lighting.

The unleashed was probably the hardest but most fun built I have ever done. It kinda ruined me also since now I dont want go back to MGs.
I'm hoping they do more with the unleashed line and release more kits in that size/complexity in the future.

“3rd party” Gundam kits did this to me a few years ago. They don’t build as smoothly as bandai kits but the finished product is always worth it. They always have way more details and more gimmicks than bandai kits. Dragon Momoko, Daban, Hobbystar, and Super Nova are probably the most mainstream ones. Prices for those range from $40-$100

If you like big projects and challenging builds like the kits below, mechanicore and Rodams are the best at it. Be warned though, the parts count is usually over 1000 and the prices start around $250 and get all the way up to $600.
636E8007-5178-4509-B524-2FD36FEABC27.jpeg
563BCB40-A0D7-4AB3-8F0E-61B43A65B411.jpeg

These are the nippers I currently use. I wanted to get a few kits under my belt before Invested in the more expensive ones.
1663667141185.jpeg

These are the nippers I currently use. I wanted to get a few kits under my belt before Invested in the more expensive ones.
1663667141185.jpeg
These are awful. Its going to be night and day when you get some godhands. I started building with godhands and it helped me get my techniques down early. If you not using good tools, you're just stunting your progress to be honest.

Messed around with the orange power baser + god armor from FansHobby this weekend and this thing is so obnoxiously large and over the top 😂😂 with this I think I can tap out of transformers lol prior to the biggest figures I has are the machine wars optimus and the armada prime also froM Fanshobby. Enjoy all the pics for scale. Tough deciding which power master prime I like more between fanshobby and make toys
F64BC7B8-4FCC-4182-B224-E49E24D87731.jpeg
91538ADD-6F55-4284-BDA5-140D34E15642.jpeg
AF5EEFB4-50BD-49F3-BC40-363E7419EE1A.jpeg
033BF11A-367C-4A5A-BCC1-5CC82569B9B9.jpeg
EBBF1D8C-E737-4C8A-83E9-C4BD4B7EFEDA.jpeg
FD3266F8-58B4-44FC-848E-1B8AB13CE061.jpeg
73875CDA-C359-4706-8E76-558232135A50.jpeg

Resin kits always look cool, but since I do not paint, I dont even bother. But there's a lot of youtubers that i follow like itsagundam, that do great work with resin kits and lighting.

I'm terrible at painting which is the reason why I shy away from kits. If it's only barebones with a few cuttings, basic gluing and assembly, I'd be fine. Other than that, nevermind.

I'm terrible at painting which is the reason why I shy away from kits. If it's only barebones with a few cuttings, basic gluing and assembly, I'd be fine. Other than that, nevermind.

most people paint to give a custom flare or enhancement but its not something that has to be done, also paint is a learned skill IMHO, i started customizing figures about 3yrs ago and i've vastly improved when i stay away from my bad habits

most people paint to give a custom flare or enhancement but its not something that has to be done, also paint is a learned skill IMHO, i started customizing figures about 3yrs ago and i've vastly improved when i stay away from my bad habits

This right here is the key. When it comes to painting and customizing you can’t fake it to make or half step your way into good results. Most of the time it ends up making things more difficult in the process. I used to run in a lot of influencer circles in the gunpla space a few years back and when I talked to people who gave up on painting altogether complained about how frustrating it was but they were also using craft aisle paint, hardware store spray paint, and 20 air brushes. Of course you’re going to run into issue. Luckily for me I made it 75% of the way though my first kit taking as many shortcuts that I could to real size if I’m going to do it I gotta to doing it the ways the pros do

This the first kit I tried to paint. It was a nightmare. Cheap Amazon air brush. I used “prethinned” acrylic paints that I tried to thin even further with water because I read you could do that if you didn’t want to buy proper thinner. The paint came out super textured and peeled up so easily. It was a terrible time and I still won’t use acrylic paints to this day. Not just cause of the experience but also cause they’re pretty crappy in the grand scheme of things and slow down your work flow so much with that 24-48 hours drying time.
218F6133-97BC-4FF3-80FA-A0BB2B2EA7B1.jpeg

And these are all kits I painted once I started taking it seriously and investing in the right supplies and not cutting corners.
C719A615-EF8B-4A85-A1C5-B5F8339636BC.jpeg
1BC12CBA-48A6-42B0-AE90-E155CF5B6A19.jpeg
7A77FCE1-4E21-4630-9448-E958FDE7126D.jpeg
B5225E8F-CBB0-4952-98AD-9F95471D2ED8.jpeg

30D7C0B0-B0DE-4CE7-BA64-449FF7822CD6.jpeg

After 5 painted Kia I jumped right into resin kits and I’ve posted this one a few times
5DBC06D3-C49C-4BD3-AE80-AC249F6D75C9.jpeg

I do agree with you that it is a learned skill and also needed a considerable amount of dedication/effort and time to achieve a good success. unfortunately, I don't possess such dedication and meticulousness to progress in such field. I did try painting once in our humanities class involving fine arts (painting in particular) and I must say I really sucked. I can't even draw. I do easily get frustrated. that's why I stick mostly with assembled models already which are really costly.

I do agree with you that it is a learned skill and also needed a considerable amount of dedication/effort and time to achieve a good success. unfortunately, I don't possess such dedication and meticulousness to progress in such field. I did try painting once in our humanities class involving fine arts (painting in particular) and I must say I really sucked. I can't even draw. I do easily get frustrated. that's why I stick mostly with assembled models already which are really costly.

It’s definitely time consuming, but most people that paint model kits do it by airbrush which honestly makes it so much easier if youre using a good air brush and good paint. A lot different than painting a portrait. That said There’s a decent cost barrier upfront if you really want to be equipped to do decent work. The only really artistry behind it is
Figuring out a color scheme that looks good. Other than that it’s 90% covering a piece of plastic with paint and 10% learning how to thin your paint properly and clean the air brush.

But that’s the fun thing about gunpla, you don’t need to do any of that to fan fun building them. I might build 15-20 kits a year and only have 2-3 painted projects in that time.

Back
Top Bottom