Preaching: Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayless Talk About Racial And Ethnic Sensitivity

I agree with alot of what SAS said but I really dislike when him and other blacks cosign with this black people are more sensitive to race issues than other groups.  When I see somebody publicly say something about a group and nobody wants them fired/punished I'll believe it.  I don't care what group of people it is when they feel something was racist, insensitive etc said group always complain.  

Someone is trying to defend that headline? Wow.
Originally Posted by red mpls

Another quality post. Thanks. Despite the fallacies, you do have to admit that at least this conversation facilitated some dialogue. That's a positive. 

Can't watch from my phone, But Skip is that dude.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Stephen's hairline is something serious.
sick.gif
laugh.gif

Disagree.

First, his big point is that due to the Black community, all ethnic groups are hypersensitive, and this is a dangerous slippery slope that can be very harmful in the future to harmless individuals. While I do agree that real lack of knowledge can and should be forgiven, continued or blatant use of slurs cannot be tolerated. It will be nice if there's ever a time in which racial slurs and offensive terms are not in people's vocabularies, but we're not quite there yet. Why shouldn't Asians be upset about "c----", or Hispanics over "s---", or Jews over "k---"? Just because you don't see or hear it everyday, it's still out there. And they don't have the same notoriety or deep history as "n-----", they have been used in the past the exact same way. Who's to say who can or can't be sensitive or outraged? The Black community has had and still has their struggle against racism, why shouldn't other ethnic groups? While I do agree that it can get out of control with the extent of what is offensive or not, that's not on the outsider to judge, in my opinion. An Asian man has no right to call out a Black man for being "too sensitive".

Trust, if there was a headline about say, what if D. Wade made a crazy dunk and the next trip down Lebron did the exact same dunk, and the headline the next day said "Monkey see, monkey do". Tell me that wouldn't be terribly offensive and the guy who wrote that and left it there shouldn't be fired. A person does not make a "mistake" like that, I'm sorry.

That said, I'm not trying to be "that guy" either. Honestly, I can't cosign this. And I'm open to a respectful debate...show me where I'm missing the point please.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by Antidope

Stephen A Smith hit the world with that real talk, I agree with all of it.
When he was on his rant on live tv I was going through his mentions to see how many people were killing him and I saw Monstar1s twitter in there. He does not agree with Stephen A. Thats my cool story of the day

Ok I agree with Stephen A. BUT he was way off topic.  Nothing he said had to do with Jeremy Lin.  He started talking about black leaders going too hard on people.  Thats different.

But you have to realize Stephen A. is a writer.  He was sticking up for a person in his fraternity.  Thats why he spoke on people losing jobs and not feeding their families. And thats also why he's talking about "forgive and show compassion".  He catches alot of heat for things he says so he's putting out that message to be "compassionate" to people in his shoes. He said alot of good things but still dodged the actual "___ in the armor" comment.

He sounded dumb as hell saying "i don't know whats racist"  or "sometimes we don't know what's offensive"...are you serious?  Grown men with degrees in journalism or mass communications don't know whats offensive?  Naw not buying that. 

I don't care what anybody says that headline was done on purpose.  Headline writers uses puns. 

After Melo came back the NY times read "Marsh-Melo..melo comes up soft vs nets".  Thats what they do on every website, newspaper, magazine.

So we really think that its acceptable to say "____ in the armor...Lins turnovers cost game"  First off why is the phrase "____ in the armor" being used?  What does that have to do with Lin, Knicks, basketball, or anything?  The only word in that phrase that connected to the story was the slur.   Maybe if they were the NY Knights then it could kinda make sense.  It's like the dude was waiting to use that phrase.  I'm sorry man I don't buy a guy that writes puns for a living choose that phrase and wasn't aware of what he was doing.  Its unacceptable. 

So Stephen A. said some great things but he completely dodged the topic and he actually stuck up for the writer on the low.  Thats why I didn't like this segment.
Exactly how I see it. It may have been done on accident, which I doubt, but for somebody that has a degree in journalism, mass communication, etc. and being in that profession, you have to know this and they should be held accountable.

Originally Posted by frink85

Disagree.

First, his big point is that due to the Black community, all ethnic groups are hypersensitive, and this is a dangerous slippery slope that can be very harmful in the future to harmless individuals. While I do agree that real lack of knowledge can and should be forgiven, continued or blatant use of slurs cannot be tolerated. It will be nice if there's ever a time in which racial slurs and offensive terms are not in people's vocabularies, but we're not quite there yet. Why shouldn't Asians be upset about "c----", or Hispanics over "s---", or Jews over "k---"? Just because you don't see or hear it everyday, it's still out there. And they don't have the same notoriety or deep history as "n-----", they have been used in the past the exact same way. Who's to say who can or can't be sensitive or outraged? The Black community has had and still has their struggle against racism, why shouldn't other ethnic groups? While I do agree that it can get out of control with the extent of what is offensive or not, that's not on the outsider to judge, in my opinion. An Asian man has no right to call out a Black man for being "too sensitive".

Trust, if there was a headline about say, what if D. Wade made a crazy dunk and the next trip down Lebron did the exact same dunk, and the headline the next day said "Monkey see, monkey do". Tell me that wouldn't be terribly offensive and the guy who wrote that and left it there shouldn't be fired. A person does not make a "mistake" like that, I'm sorry.

That said, I'm not trying to be "that guy" either. Honestly, I can't cosign this. And I'm open to a respectful debate...show me where I'm missing the point please.
Regarding monkey see monkey do when do people even use that in sports discussion(player wise)?  I've honestly never heard that before used in sports context (except maybe teams copying each other) but c%&$* in the armor I've heard that said many of times.  I can admit when being schooled more by asking people that write and seeing it being discussed on here and pti I can now see why the print guy might have got the boot.  On air guy I still say it probably was an honest mistake esp if you say that saying regarding other people.  

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Originally Posted by frink85

Regarding monkey see monkey do when do people even use that in sports discussion(player wise)?  I've honestly never heard that before used in sports context (except maybe teams copying each other) but c%&$* in the armor I've heard that said many of times.  I can admit when being schooled more by asking people that write and seeing it being discussed on here and pti I can now see why the print guy might have got the boot.  On air guy I still say it probably was an honest mistake esp if you say that saying regarding other people.  
I was just trying to come up with a similar hypothetical situation. Both are common phrases and correct in context but considering whose picture was plastered right above "C---- in the Armor" it's either blatant or a terribly convenient coincidence that should've been caught long before it went to print. And I agree with the point about the on-air anchor.

I agree about the hypersensitivity point SAS made. To me there is a line between being sensitive, and being over sensitive

I love Stephen A because he spit the truth about Tebow sucking as a QB
pimp.gif

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that so many of the NT'ers agreeing with him are the same ones that pull the race card on every little thing? 
nerd.gif

What about the anchor that got the 30 days off?..When this story first dropped, the anchor said it was an honest mistake and that he'd never say something intentionally hurtful to the Asian community cause his wife is Asian..So was it really fair for him to get suspended or was that just a case of ESPN trying to cover its behind and do damage control?

Originally Posted by casekicks

What about the anchor that got the 30 days off?..When this story first dropped, the anchor said it was an honest mistake and that he'd never say something intentionally hurtful to the Asian community cause his wife is Asian..So was it really fair for him to get suspended or was that just a case of ESPN trying to cover its behind and do damage control?

You know what the answer is to that 
laugh.gif
 Nobody really even brings up the fact dudes wife is Asian.

laugh.gif

I think he got caught up in the shuffle and ethered by default just to cover all bases..

But you never know why he said it because that was spur of the moment on air....what if him and his wife actually think thats funny? Very possible.

You don't get a pass because your wife is asian

laugh.gif

I think he got caught up in the shuffle and ethered by default just to cover all bases..

But you never know why he said it because that was spur of the moment on air....what if him and his wife actually think thats funny? Very possible.

Don't get a pass from you you mean.  I would think somebody that is married to somebody _______ wouldn't be racist about said group.  What do I know though I'm pretty sure it's a few Klan memebers with black wives though 
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Don't get a pass from you you mean.  I would think somebody that is married to somebody _______ wouldn't be racist about said group.  What do I know though I'm pretty sure it's a few Klan memebers with black wives though 
laugh.gif

well then by that logic, slave owner thomas jefferson wasn't racist at all, word to sally hemings. i could agree however that there can be misconceptions about race in this country due to lack of exposure/media/etc.

example: a black male and white woman are in a relationship but come from slightly different environments, thus she sees things differently compared the man. or rather, her eyes are shut to things in society she would otherwise see if she were black. so her misconceptions than can come off as offensive, are really due to her possibly coming from a not-so-diverse environment.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

laugh.gif

well then by that logic, slave owner thomas jefferson wasn't racist at all, word to sally hemings. i could agree however that there can be misconceptions about race in this country due to lack of exposure/media/etc.

example: a black male and white woman are in a relationship but come from slightly different environments, thus she sees things differently compared the man. or rather, her eyes are shut to things in society she would otherwise see if she were black. so her misconceptions than can come off as offensive, are really due to her possibly coming from a not-so-diverse environment.
My sister said the same thing yesterday and like I asked her  are you going to compare somebody being married to someone of a different ethnicity to cats sneaking around sexing people?  I don't think they are the same but hey maybe you do.   I just think in that situation it would be less likely for somebody to be a racist towards that group.

Been slacking on First Take as of late, and just caught this. Wanted to hear what he had to say about Lin but went another route. I appreciate his statement though and got me thinking about re-evaluating some of my thoughts/actions as a minority.

Back
Top Bottom