Protecting yourself and other party when using Paypal

Mods, please move if this belongs in another section.I'm about to purchase some J's from a seller up North, and I have to use Paypal to pay him. I've never just sent money through Paypal without winning an ebay auction, so I'm a bit afraid of getting ripped off.Can anyone share the best way to go about this and ensuring that both the buyer and seller are protected?

I once heard that once the buyer removes the funds from his paypal account then Paypal cannot retrieve the funds.

Originally Posted by firmePORvida

I once heard that once the buyer removes the funds from his paypal account then Paypal cannot retrieve the funds.

Not true, They will make your account negative and if u don't pay it they send it into collection.Best thing to do is pay with a credit card thru paypal, not your bank account.With your credit card you can call them if there's a problem and they will get your money back.Paypal wont do @*#% for you.

here's some other tips as well:
1. ask the seller to send you a good amount of detailed pics
2.be sure to save all of your emails and/or pm's
3.if you do need to open and resolve a claim, try to do it all over the phone. from experience, online customer service thru paypal takes a while.

good luck.

pimp.gif

where was this thread years ago?
laugh.gif

If you have an American Express card, use that. They are the best with protecting their customers with charges and such. Also, DO NOT send payment as a gift.

I'm definitely not sending payment as gift. I'm sure my CC will cover me, but does anyone have experience where their bank handled the matter when their deal went sour?

Send it as a gift, you save money, which adds up if you plan on going on a shoe binge.

Just make sure that you are using a CREDIT card and not a debit card so that if he just takes your money and doesn't ship then you can call the Credit card company and file a chargeback.

Now what if you are the seller?? Should I feel safe accepting paypal for the shoes im selling now which includes DMP Lanyes Grapes and more??
Is it possible for the buyer to get the shoes and claim that he didnt?? I've been out of the game for a while and cleaning house on whats left in my collection which is like 25 shoes, and I dont know how paypal been these pass 3-4 years since I last used it..

Originally Posted by feb171963

Now what if you are the seller?? Should I feel safe accepting paypal for the shoes im selling now which includes DMP Lanyes Grapes and more??
Is it possible for the buyer to get the shoes and claim that he didnt?? I've been out of the game for a while and cleaning house on whats left in my collection which is like 25 shoes, and I dont know how paypal been these pass 3-4 years since I last used it..

make sure when you ship them to get a tracking number and possibly opt for signature confirmation. both of those really come in handy to protect you as a seller.

I'm the buyer, not seller, and I feel there's more protection for seller rather than buyer.

As a seller, I can accept/withdraw funds for payment and then ship out the shoes, but what's to stop the seller from sending fakes or beaters or nothing at all.

Then again, as the buyer, he can accept the shoes and then do the switch-a-roo and claim the received beaters.

I'm sure there's a bunch of examples out there. I just don't want to be one of those examples.

Originally Posted by feb171963

Ship with tracking AND signature confirmation to the CONFIRMED address on the buyer's paypal. Don't accept multiple payments for the same shoes either. Do all of the above and you're fine

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

Originally Posted by firmePORvida

Not true, They will make your account negative and if u don't pay it they send it into collection.Best thing to do is pay with a credit card thru paypal, not your bank account.With your credit card you can call them if there's a problem and they will get your money back.Paypal wont do @*#% for you.

but it is TRUE. if someone scams you and they have no money in the account then you dont get a dime back. and if they are scamming you for the sake of scamming you then they wont use the account ever again.

collections means nothing because unless paypal has your SSN they cannot do anything and it will not affect your credit score.

Yall gotta understand Paypal doesnt trust you either.

If you verify your account you get better benefits.

I just got upgraded to some club because I spent like 5K this year using paypal they gave me a personal customer support number to call if I had any problems

Get your paypal account verified and you should be good

Originally Posted by cartune

Yall gotta understand Paypal doesnt trust you either.

If you verify your account you get better benefits.

I just got upgraded to some club because I spent like 5K this year using paypal they gave me a personal customer support number to call if I had any problems

Get your paypal account verified and you should be good

sorry to tell you but that's false. From what I've seen, being verified on paypal doesn't mean a damn thing if somebody's gonna scam you.  I buy a lot of high end collectibles and know plenty of "great sellers" who've disappeared with people's money at the end

Yo PayPal started charging me on refunds sent back to buyers smh and they also took away my privlage of receiving gift payments.

This thread now has me nervous to use paypal for transactions. As a buyer, I always thought they had the power to go into a sellers bank account and refund your money if he/she screws you over and you file a dispute. I thought that was the point of confirming your address/acct # with the address/acct # on file w/ the bank. Idk, maybe I'm confused. I just thought paypal collected enough information to be able to help you even if the person deletes their account or never uses it again.

Also, a lot of people have been talking about how to protect yourself as a seller. I agree when everyone else says 'get sig confirmation', because with "SC", they are signing off that they received everything as it should be. To my knowledge, their signature is proof that the delivery was made and everything (outside the box, and inside the box) was satisfactory. It would be hard to swap the good shoes for old beaters and say the seller screwed you after you signed off on the delivery. Know what i mean? If I'm way off someone let me know, but this is always how I've seen it as a seller.

honestly paypal can be good and bad

anybody can make an account and scam the system (cant give details on this method
nerd.gif
)

all throughout using it paypal has been kind to me and not so kind

if i ever get scammed i got my money back i usually never send as a gift if i do i make sure the funds come from my card so i can always file a chargeback if needed

but thats where the bad part comes in i sold something a while ago and the buyer filed a chargeback on me after i shipped
indifferent.gif

paypal wont do %+% about it either because they aint tryna step up to the big boys straight up *****made
sick.gif

they also changed the policy so gift payments are no longer covered so make sure you use a credit card or something when paying as a gift incase anything does go wrong

but if you pay the normal way make sure to add 4% or accept payment to ask for 4% more to cover the paypal fees

and with that you can open  a dispute and work out an agreement but can probably be used against you

be careful with this service you just gotta pray you dealing with honest people not some scums

i recommend making an alternate paypal to accept payments when dealing with online purchases because if your main gets hit R.I.P

(MAKE SURE to use proxys on proxys if they link both accounts you get hit with  a freeze)

i would make a guide on this but theres too many scums on here that will abuse this method

and if you selling get a Tracking #

NT, what is your advice on shipping internationally? If I print a shipping label through paypal and select small flat priority box international, would paypal provide delivery confirmation? If not then what is the cheapest method to ship the item w/ delivery confirmation?

Back
Top Bottom