Question about making a return to a Sport.

I'm going to get right to the point. Basically I played baseball for 17 years of my life. I'm 21. I played for two years at my college of choice out of high school. I was planning on using it as a Juco and transferring out after my sophomore season. Well things didn't go as expected. I pitched over 110 innings in my first two years there. But during my sophomore year we got a new coach. Him and I never saw eye to eye no matter how well I did or how hard I worked. He kind of took the love away from me so to speak. So I transferred out after the season and completely gave up baseball. I just wanted to focus on life after ball. 
Now that I am doing that I feel neutral about my decision. Sometimes I feel I'm doing the right thing and a lot of the time I feel I should've stayed at the school and continued. I really miss baseball EVERY single day of my life. I constantly check my old teammates stats to see how they're doing, etc. 

I guess I miss it so much because I stepped away on my own and not due to injury or age. That's what bothers me most. The fact that I can still play and feel like I have re-found that love for the game that I once enjoyed.

I am really contemplating on returning to my former school or one close by to continue playing. What would you all do given the same situation?

If I leave where I am at now it will effect alot of people. Like my really good friend whom I just leased an apartment with next year. As well as my girlfriend of two years who attends the same school as me.

Thoughts?

Thank you for any thoughtful input.

Corey.

I'm going to get right to the point. Basically I played baseball for 17 years of my life. I'm 21. I played for two years at my college of choice out of high school. I was planning on using it as a Juco and transferring out after my sophomore season. Well things didn't go as expected. I pitched over 110 innings in my first two years there. But during my sophomore year we got a new coach. Him and I never saw eye to eye no matter how well I did or how hard I worked. He kind of took the love away from me so to speak. So I transferred out after the season and completely gave up baseball. I just wanted to focus on life after ball. 
Now that I am doing that I feel neutral about my decision. Sometimes I feel I'm doing the right thing and a lot of the time I feel I should've stayed at the school and continued. I really miss baseball EVERY single day of my life. I constantly check my old teammates stats to see how they're doing, etc. 

I guess I miss it so much because I stepped away on my own and not due to injury or age. That's what bothers me most. The fact that I can still play and feel like I have re-found that love for the game that I once enjoyed.

I am really contemplating on returning to my former school or one close by to continue playing. What would you all do given the same situation?

If I leave where I am at now it will effect alot of people. Like my really good friend whom I just leased an apartment with next year. As well as my girlfriend of two years who attends the same school as me.

Thoughts?

Thank you for any thoughtful input.

Corey.

It's tough man. I know. But can you live with the thoughts of what could have been?

Somewhat similar situation for me. I didn't play football till the 10th grade. My pops and family kept bugging me so I said %++$ it  and went out. One of the best decisions I ever made. Loved it. Started to get looks junior year and actually had a few schollies but I ended up going DII to a CIAA school. I !%#!$@* hated it. Met a lotta cool Ns, but I !%#!$@* hated the place. Middle of nowhere, country *@* people, and mostly an @sshole head coach. Plus I honestly didn't get adjusted to being away from home till the semester was almost done. So I said %++$ it and bounced.
laugh.gif
Went back home and took some classes at the local college. Now years later after ##%*$%*%##+@ and missing so much school I'm finally bout to graduate.

All these years I've struggled internally with whether I should go at it again. My dream was to play big time D1 ball. I could've tried transferring to App State. I actually bounced at a club with a kid who played up there. Said it was great especially since they started winning. One dude I played with in high school ended up at Chapel Hill. That would've been awesome. But my laziness and unwillingness to move again kept me here. My D1 eligibility ran out last year so my time was up on that.

Trust me bruh, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS. Life's biggest choices are seldom easy. On one hand you got friends, family, work, relationships/*+$! etc. where you are and on the other hand your passion in sports. It's difficult but like my man said [Jay-Z] Gotta learn to live with regrets.......[Jay-Z]. I ended up choosing family and friends with a little help from my own laziness. Make your decision and make it quick tho. How far away is your old school from where you are now? To me if the distance isn't to bad you can still maintain your friendships and relationships while getting back into baseball.

Don't be procrastinator like me and let time make your decision for you.

On the bright side if you don't transfer back but stick with school and keep your grades straight there's always ways to re-enter your sporting field on the other side of the ball so to speak. I'm looking into grad school for sports administration. I really wanna get back in as possibly an asst. coaching, compliance, or possibly even assistant AD. Hell I got homies who went back to their high school after they graduated and started to help out and actually got put on as coaches.There's always gonna be something out there for you if you stick with it, even if you stop playing.

It's tough man. I know. But can you live with the thoughts of what could have been?

Somewhat similar situation for me. I didn't play football till the 10th grade. My pops and family kept bugging me so I said %++$ it  and went out. One of the best decisions I ever made. Loved it. Started to get looks junior year and actually had a few schollies but I ended up going DII to a CIAA school. I !%#!$@* hated it. Met a lotta cool Ns, but I !%#!$@* hated the place. Middle of nowhere, country *@* people, and mostly an @sshole head coach. Plus I honestly didn't get adjusted to being away from home till the semester was almost done. So I said %++$ it and bounced.
laugh.gif
Went back home and took some classes at the local college. Now years later after ##%*$%*%##+@ and missing so much school I'm finally bout to graduate.

All these years I've struggled internally with whether I should go at it again. My dream was to play big time D1 ball. I could've tried transferring to App State. I actually bounced at a club with a kid who played up there. Said it was great especially since they started winning. One dude I played with in high school ended up at Chapel Hill. That would've been awesome. But my laziness and unwillingness to move again kept me here. My D1 eligibility ran out last year so my time was up on that.

Trust me bruh, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS. Life's biggest choices are seldom easy. On one hand you got friends, family, work, relationships/*+$! etc. where you are and on the other hand your passion in sports. It's difficult but like my man said [Jay-Z] Gotta learn to live with regrets.......[Jay-Z]. I ended up choosing family and friends with a little help from my own laziness. Make your decision and make it quick tho. How far away is your old school from where you are now? To me if the distance isn't to bad you can still maintain your friendships and relationships while getting back into baseball.

Don't be procrastinator like me and let time make your decision for you.

On the bright side if you don't transfer back but stick with school and keep your grades straight there's always ways to re-enter your sporting field on the other side of the ball so to speak. I'm looking into grad school for sports administration. I really wanna get back in as possibly an asst. coaching, compliance, or possibly even assistant AD. Hell I got homies who went back to their high school after they graduated and started to help out and actually got put on as coaches.There's always gonna be something out there for you if you stick with it, even if you stop playing.

I'm in a similar situation as you and all I can really say is go get that *@*@ bruh.

I played football and soccer my entire life. I always thought I was gonna play D1 football even though soccer was my first love (no ochocino), until I obliterated my knee junior year of high school. Ended up rehabing and coming back my senior year but by the end of the season I was still only at about 65%.

I contemplated trying to walk on at a mid major some where and my football coaches tried to push me to do it but I was like @%!* that, I'm not working out everyday after school tryin to get back to 100, I'm gonna get high with my boys and get at females.

Anyways I gave up both football and soccer permanently, or so it seemed. Fast forward two years, I start playing soccer again and realize that *@*@ is my heart and I've been missing out on what I love for the past few years. Biggest regret of my life. I look around today and see dudes I played with growing up, balling out in college and going pro and even though I'm more than happy for all them, that *@*@ is like getting stuck with a knife every time I think about it because I know that's where I could be right now.

A little more than a year ago I said @%!* it, I'm playing competitive soccer again. I started going to the park where the local pick up games are played and during the summers I would literally spend the entire day there. If no games were being played I'd just work on things by myself. I joined a semi-pro/amateur team and started having a lot of fun with that circuit.

How far I go with this isn't really important to me. I'm out there everyday for the love of the game and because I see my game improving day by day.

I'd love to play pro ball one day but at the same time, I realize that's a long shot. I have so much ground to make up plus I'm grown and have real life responsibilities now. I'm just riding that wave and seeing where it takes me. I'm thinking about grad school and if I do that I'll definitely try and walk on.

Not really a point to this quasi life story, I just thought I'd share because we're the exact same age and we're going through similar circumstances. Fallow your heart man. We're young and will never have another chance at this again.

I'm in a similar situation as you and all I can really say is go get that *@*@ bruh.

I played football and soccer my entire life. I always thought I was gonna play D1 football even though soccer was my first love (no ochocino), until I obliterated my knee junior year of high school. Ended up rehabing and coming back my senior year but by the end of the season I was still only at about 65%.

I contemplated trying to walk on at a mid major some where and my football coaches tried to push me to do it but I was like @%!* that, I'm not working out everyday after school tryin to get back to 100, I'm gonna get high with my boys and get at females.

Anyways I gave up both football and soccer permanently, or so it seemed. Fast forward two years, I start playing soccer again and realize that *@*@ is my heart and I've been missing out on what I love for the past few years. Biggest regret of my life. I look around today and see dudes I played with growing up, balling out in college and going pro and even though I'm more than happy for all them, that *@*@ is like getting stuck with a knife every time I think about it because I know that's where I could be right now.

A little more than a year ago I said @%!* it, I'm playing competitive soccer again. I started going to the park where the local pick up games are played and during the summers I would literally spend the entire day there. If no games were being played I'd just work on things by myself. I joined a semi-pro/amateur team and started having a lot of fun with that circuit.

How far I go with this isn't really important to me. I'm out there everyday for the love of the game and because I see my game improving day by day.

I'd love to play pro ball one day but at the same time, I realize that's a long shot. I have so much ground to make up plus I'm grown and have real life responsibilities now. I'm just riding that wave and seeing where it takes me. I'm thinking about grad school and if I do that I'll definitely try and walk on.

Not really a point to this quasi life story, I just thought I'd share because we're the exact same age and we're going through similar circumstances. Fallow your heart man. We're young and will never have another chance at this again.

don't put it off. make the comeback as soon as you can. once you settle into your life. i.e. a job, marriage, family. you realize that you don't have the time you once did. mind you i was never close to any of your type of athletic careers but i stopped playing baseball after my sophomore year of high school. i just lost the desire to play. now my brother and friends started up a team a few years ago and i've been playing with them since and rediscovered my love of the game. unfortunately i don't have the time to dedicate to practice or working out due to family and work commitments, but i do what i can. my season is right around the corner and i couldn't be more excited.

don't put it off. make the comeback as soon as you can. once you settle into your life. i.e. a job, marriage, family. you realize that you don't have the time you once did. mind you i was never close to any of your type of athletic careers but i stopped playing baseball after my sophomore year of high school. i just lost the desire to play. now my brother and friends started up a team a few years ago and i've been playing with them since and rediscovered my love of the game. unfortunately i don't have the time to dedicate to practice or working out due to family and work commitments, but i do what i can. my season is right around the corner and i couldn't be more excited.

Appreciate the input fella's. The school I would transfer to is actually back at my hometown in Louisville. I'm currently in Lexington.

Thanks for your stories so I could see your alls points of view.

The school is D3 but I'm ok with that that. I could've took the NAIA or D2 route but I didn't want to be on a team with 40+ players on it and 20 of them being pitchers.

I wanted to get to work right away.

One day I'm like man why am I wasting my time at this new school and sleeping my free time away when I could be balling out on that baseball field.

Then the next day I'm like man I don't know if I need baseball. Do I really wanna put up with the bs 6 am work outs and petty stuff that comes along with playing.

*kanye shrug*

Thanks again everyone.

Appreciate the input fella's. The school I would transfer to is actually back at my hometown in Louisville. I'm currently in Lexington.

Thanks for your stories so I could see your alls points of view.

The school is D3 but I'm ok with that that. I could've took the NAIA or D2 route but I didn't want to be on a team with 40+ players on it and 20 of them being pitchers.

I wanted to get to work right away.

One day I'm like man why am I wasting my time at this new school and sleeping my free time away when I could be balling out on that baseball field.

Then the next day I'm like man I don't know if I need baseball. Do I really wanna put up with the bs 6 am work outs and petty stuff that comes along with playing.

*kanye shrug*

Thanks again everyone.

Don't feel too bad..... I am playing softball for the first time in my life tonight, never played baseball. Wish me luck.

Plus I think I threw out my shoulder taking 200 hacks at a batting cage last night
frown.gif

I'm scared man, I'm really scared
frown.gif

Any tips??
laugh.gif

Don't feel too bad..... I am playing softball for the first time in my life tonight, never played baseball. Wish me luck.

Plus I think I threw out my shoulder taking 200 hacks at a batting cage last night
frown.gif

frown.gif

Any tips??
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

frown.gif

frown.gif

Any tips??
laugh.gif

My buddy started playing baseball this year in a jc (never played before) I think you are okay
laugh.gif

And Ham ( from the Bay), where do you play? Havent  played since AYSO
tired.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

frown.gif

frown.gif

Any tips??
laugh.gif

My buddy started playing baseball this year in a jc (never played before) I think you are okay
laugh.gif

tired.gif

laugh.gif
aight I will update yall after the game tonight... if I survive
Also, I am playing catcher...... and I don't know how to catch....... 

My shoulder is in so much pain right now too
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
aight I will update yall after the game tonight... if I survive
Also, I am playing catcher...... and I don't know how to catch....... 

My shoulder is in so much pain right now too
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

tired.gif
I play pick up @ Underhill Field (It's on top of a parking garage) on College and Durant, right next to the UC Berkeley Dorms.

Played in the Coast Soccer League when I was living in Socal, now I play in the San Francisco Soccer-Football League.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

tired.gif
I play pick up @ Underhill Field (It's on top of a parking garage) on College and Durant, right next to the UC Berkeley Dorms.

Played in the Coast Soccer League when I was living in Socal, now I play in the San Francisco Soccer-Football League.

Update: Got back from my softball game............... One of our best players couldn't make it so we had someone's Dad fill in, he is old. So he played catcher, moving me to RF.

It was awkward. The one ball that came my way I didn't even react to the ball
laugh.gif
just let it fly over my head, hit the fence, and the midfielder got it. Other than that I had no action on my side
laugh.gif

My at-bats were awkward as well. I watched the first pitch, fouled, stuck out watching the ball like a dumb %@!. Only one K of the game
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

my second AB was cool I hit a line drive to 3rd and the guy couldn't handle it, made it on base and eventually scored a run
smile.gif
smile.gif

3rd and last AB I grounded out....................................................................

Fortunately most of the guys on my team were forgiving/supportive. The instructions and tips they were shouting out to my while I was up was kinda lame.... Ain't no way they are gonna fix my swing with words while I am about to take a hack at the ball
laugh.gif
Only thing I was disappointed about was that I never had a good hit. While we were at the batting cages probably every third ball I would hit would be a nice deep bomb, the rest were weak dinky grounders or tipped balls.

Overall it was a neat experience. Wish I dipped, or rather I wish you could smoke on the field
laugh.gif
Can't wait for the next week. I still don't understand why my shoulder is sore as hell; I literally took maybe 6-7 hacks total.

Update: Got back from my softball game............... One of our best players couldn't make it so we had someone's Dad fill in, he is old. So he played catcher, moving me to RF.

It was awkward. The one ball that came my way I didn't even react to the ball
laugh.gif
just let it fly over my head, hit the fence, and the midfielder got it. Other than that I had no action on my side
laugh.gif

My at-bats were awkward as well. I watched the first pitch, fouled, stuck out watching the ball like a dumb %@!. Only one K of the game
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
frown.gif

my second AB was cool I hit a line drive to 3rd and the guy couldn't handle it, made it on base and eventually scored a run
smile.gif
smile.gif

3rd and last AB I grounded out....................................................................

Fortunately most of the guys on my team were forgiving/supportive. The instructions and tips they were shouting out to my while I was up was kinda lame.... Ain't no way they are gonna fix my swing with words while I am about to take a hack at the ball
laugh.gif
Only thing I was disappointed about was that I never had a good hit. While we were at the batting cages probably every third ball I would hit would be a nice deep bomb, the rest were weak dinky grounders or tipped balls.

Overall it was a neat experience. Wish I dipped, or rather I wish you could smoke on the field
laugh.gif
Can't wait for the next week. I still don't understand why my shoulder is sore as hell; I literally took maybe 6-7 hacks total.

I never understood how some people can compete with a dip in their mouth. Maybe it's because I do it like once every two years but that *%#% always has me feeling half ******ed.

I never understood how some people can compete with a dip in their mouth. Maybe it's because I do it like once every two years but that *%#% always has me feeling half ******ed.

I think you already know the answer, boss. Do what's in your heart and you'll never regret it, trust me.

I was in a similar situation (soccer) and when I graduated from Duke I still had a year of eligibility remaining (5 years to play out your 4 years) and played my last year at UConn while getting my MBA. Felt so damn good to get back on the field and I had a new found respect for the game and alot of that came with being older, more mature, and developing a better work ethic.

Back
Top Bottom