Question for older NTers 30 and up vol. Cell Phones

Answering a phone with no caller ID and hoping it isn't someone you don't want of talk to.

The first caller ID blew my mind. It was a box that sat next to the phone.

Going all the way across the neighborhood to check in or ask your moms for permission to do something.

A piece of paper next to the phone with everybody's number written on it.

Tuning to a guide channel and waiting for it to scroll to a certain time lol. Before that a TV guide..

Riding bikes, neighborhood football and basketball games, water gun fights > sitting at home all day playing with technology..

In the last 10 years I have seen 1, yes 1, neighborhood football game. Kids these days sit around, lazy, fat with no social skills playing games and browsing the web...

I had to put my foot down with my 2 kids. They already have MP3 players and video games, but now they want laptops and iPads. -_- They are 8 & 9...told them to take their !+$$% outside. Trying to watch TV all day."but my friends are 9 and thy have cell phones!" pfffffftttt

We losin recipes b
30t6p3b.gif

i kinda grew up in this era i guess u can say. only had to deal with it for a couple yrs tho. im 24. from like age 12-16 i had to go thru this lol. i didnt have a beeper tho but i had my own line in my room and had phone numbers in my shcool planner lol. didnt get a cell phone til 16. texting for us in HS was girls writing long *** notes n folding em every whichaway lol

Back in the day a good Christmas was a NERF turbo football, a new Super Soaker, a NERF boomerang and an NES/SNES game...

Now it's, "I want a computer, iPod, cell phone and a 360"

On a side note, do they still make NERF boomerangs? Haven't seen one in years. Used to bend the ends a little and whip that bastard 60 feet into the air lol.

Also, you guys know that you can get like $100 for an old super soaker 100? Have the old lady keeping her eyes open while at a garage sale lol

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

roll.gif
I remember waiting for that phone call on the house phone or plotting to make it myself

pick up in one room, "Mom I got it! ..... HANG UP!"

or when you had to call a girl back at 2am but didn't wanna wake her parents so she had to pick up in nano seconds

THIS!

ya'll trippin. I would just listen to moviefone's 800 number on repeat until I heard the beep from a girl. I swear living back then was the best. never got n00dz, but my imagination by the way they would explain it >>>>>

Originally Posted by cRazy dav0

everything has been said ... u had to have game to get the numbers ...

smartbeep was all the rage back then ...

moms didn't let me have the beeper ... she said u ain't no drug dealer
frown.gif

but i did have my own phone line ... tons of numbers memorized ... set up meets and go from there ... good times
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Same here.  I'm kinda glad i didn't...no leash
nerd.gif

I used to text girls 1 177155 11 6877 1773 0000001000000  
pimp.gif

i think being born in the 80's really helped me out a lot growing up and shaping me as a man.  You had to be bold and need to have your conversation game up to talk to females and get numbers. 

Originally Posted by illphillip

I know you can do it on a cell phone......but the 3 way call on the home line was epic.

You and 2 shorties. Or you, a shorty and a lurker.

.....like the corners of my mind.......
Man...so many times I'd be talking on a phone with a chick with one of my best friends on 3 way listening
laugh.gif
 Then the convos
at school the next day would be hilarious.

But running thread all this nostalgia in here makes me glad I still attempt to the old school ways, actually meeting ppl and holding

real convos to really connect. Every once and awhile though you run into a chick (usually younger) who gives you a
Spoiler [+]
men_confused.jpg

look when you mention talking on the phone
30t6p3b.gif
Losing da recipes indeed.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Taking a pen/paper to the mall FTW
laugh.gif
Especially if it's a bad shorty, sometimes it's a race to get to talk to her
roll.gif
.  This thread brings me back though. One time I was at my dad's house during the summer and me and a friend of mine had a bet. He bet me I would be too scared to talk to the next girl that walks down the block. As soon as I finished telling him I wasn't scared, two chicks turn the corner and start walking towards us. I was shook (I was also 13
laugh.gif
). So they got closer to the driveway and I let them pass us a little. I said something to them as they passed, but nothing major. He basically calls me a punk, at that point I got pissed. They got about 3 houses past us and I said F it. Sprinted down and started kicking it to them. I can't remember it all in detail but I made some small joke and said I was watching them from when they walked past us the first time. Spit all that game until I walked them to their door in the next block, only to notice they had accents
devil.gif
. Come to find out, they were visiting family from London for a couple of weeks. Didn't get the number because it was pointless, but it was a good exercise in spittin' game nonetheless. That was a very good summer
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tree4twenty

Back in the day a good Christmas was a NERF turbo football, a new Super Soaker, a NERF boomerang and an NES/SNES game...

Now it's, "I want a computer, iPod, cell phone and a 360"

On a side note, do they still make NERF boomerangs? Haven't seen one in years. Used to bend the ends a little and whip that bastard 60 feet into the air lol.

Also, you guys know that you can get like $100 for an old super soaker 100? Have the old lady keeping her eyes open while at a garage sale lol
Maaaan, Mike Tyson's Punch Out and Super Mario Bros. 3 for Christmas????
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 Nerfs was the !%#, Super Soakers 50 & 100 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 then. The price for them now???
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

yeah I def remember those days. Passing notes in HS was the thing. Met this bad broad when I was 15 and we used to rap all day on the phone during the summer when her parents were at work. Smashed and took the V card. man that was the best summer of my life. I remember I tried to talkto some shorty and she told me that she could only gimme her email. I straight looked at her like "why do I even bother"

Originally Posted by beh235

laugh.gif
Especially if it's a bad shorty, sometimes it's a race to get to talk to her
roll.gif
.  This thread brings me back though. One time I was at my dad's house during the summer and me and a friend of mine had a bet. He bet me I would be too scared to talk to the next girl that walks down the block. As soon as I finished telling him I wasn't scared, two chicks turn the corner and start walking towards us. I was shook (I was also 13
laugh.gif
). So they got closer to the driveway and I let them pass us a little. I said something to them as they passed, but nothing major. He basically calls me a punk, at that point I got pissed. They got about 3 houses past us and I said F it. Sprinted down and started kicking it to them. I can't remember it all in detail but I made some small joke and said I was watching them from when they walked past us the first time. Spit all that game until I walked them to their door in the next block, only to notice they had accents
devil.gif
. Come to find out, they were visiting family from London for a couple of weeks. Didn't get the number because it was pointless, but it was a good exercise in spittin' game nonetheless. That was a very good summer
pimp.gif

famb ... I say this in all honesty... that was a legitimately cool story bro.
pimp.gif

I remember when you had a chick that knew you were talking to someone else, you would always get a random... 304304304304304304

Ahhh those were the days...

Originally Posted by illphillip

I know you can do it on a cell phone......but the 3 way call on the home line was epic.

You and 2 shorties. Or you, a shorty and a lurker.

.....like the corners of my mind.......
roll.gif
 lurkers.  im not ashamed to admit it.  me and my friends sometimes acted like lil girls with the 3 way lurker trick.  me and my buddy on the line, 3 way in the chick without tellin her buddy is on the line,  start shootin the s and then casually ask what she thinks about my friend.  it was like Billy Madison, but doin it from our respective homes.
somewhat related was doin the whole party line thing.  you 3 way in someone, and then that person 3 ways in someone else, and so on and so on.  get like 6-7 people on the line at one time.  half the time you couldnt even understand wtheck was goin on since everyone tryin to talk at the same time.

Originally Posted by sekim2detcidda

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Originally Posted by Brandon3000

roll.gif
I remember waiting for that phone call on the house phone or plotting to make it myself

pick up in one room, "Mom I got it! ..... HANG UP!"

or when you had to call a girl back at 2am but didn't wanna wake her parents so she had to pick up in nano seconds

THIS!

ya'll trippin. I would just listen to moviefone's 800 number on repeat until I heard the beep from a girl. I swear living back then was the best. never got n00dz, but my imagination by the way they would explain it >>>>>
eek.gif
eek.gif
 Wizardry
Never even thought of that! It's genius

I feel bad for this generation; I work in a school and see all you kids trying to mack through Facebook and it's kinda sad...back in the day you had to grow a pair and roll up on the girl and talk to her

laugh.gif
If you didn't have paper, would just write on hand and make sure you don't sweat or wash hand til you got home.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Papi

Off topic, but I remember when I was a kid and wanted my moms to pick me up I would make a collect call on the payphone and when it asked for then name I would just tell give her the message there so she would pick up, hear it, and decline the call.
laugh.gif
#poor
i did that all the time, brings back memories for sure !

Originally Posted by 216301baller

This thread makes me mad..I wish I could live those early 90's days as a teen instead of an infant..

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think about it all the time (born in 91). Everything was so much better... movies, sports.. yambs... everthing.. Like I wanna know what it was like to watch Jordan or Deion Sanders or the Dream Team... Everything was so simple back then....
frown.gif
frown.gif
Y'all olders cats had it made... gotta do wat i gotta do tho, I aint trippin
ohwell.gif

Dathbgboy wrote:
We losin recipes b
30t6p3b.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Haven't thought about this in a long time-- definitely brought back some memories.

Payphones, 1-800-collect, beepers, notes, black books, etc.

But no one brought up AOL/AIM. Remember when AOL/AIM was pretty much our FB/texting? Away messages, info screens, setting up phone dates, etc.

laugh.gif

I"m 25 going on 26 I was able to experience both sides
pimp.gif

Passing/writing notes

I borrowed a few beepers in my day they were disconnected but no one knew
laugh.gif

Trying to cake on a phone with a long #*% cord,
30t6p3b.gif
cordless finally popped off,
smokin.gif

Got my own phone in my room and a TV

Then Internet  AOL free trials FTW!!!