Question to Minorities in Corporate America

Just wondering if any of you guys have dealt with the same issue. I'm 25, African-American, and work in a major bank. My issue is I can't relate at all to my co-workers. Most are white men 20-30 years my senior and aside from sports, we have nothing in common. The work environment has that whole boy's club/frat boy feel to it and I can't get down with it for the life of me. I like the work, but I feel somewhat alienated (nothing intentional) and don't want it to affect my future career opportunities. Any advice or has anyone had similar experience?

Just wondering if any of you guys have dealt with the same issue. I'm 25, African-American, and work in a major bank. My issue is I can't relate at all to my co-workers. Most are white men 20-30 years my senior and aside from sports, we have nothing in common. The work environment has that whole boy's club/frat boy feel to it and I can't get down with it for the life of me. I like the work, but I feel somewhat alienated (nothing intentional) and don't want it to affect my future career opportunities. Any advice or has anyone had similar experience?

I deal with the same thing. Honestly all we talk about is sports and really I just keep those conversations going as long as possible. Sports and Alcohol, other than that we dont talk about much.

I deal with the same thing. Honestly all we talk about is sports and really I just keep those conversations going as long as possible. Sports and Alcohol, other than that we dont talk about much.

I couldn't relate to any of my coworkers either.

Most were nerds that play WOW and wear dragon ball z button down shirts
laugh.gif

I couldn't relate to any of my coworkers either.

Most were nerds that play WOW and wear dragon ball z button down shirts
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

I don't think I could relate to someone 20-30 years older than me even if they were my race.
This. Though being a similar race to your superiors *may* help in *some* situations, I know of white peers who are going through the same thing. IMHO you should make an effort to fraternize, but only in a way that feels comfortable to you. If you try too hard, or make too aggressive of a move in search of acceptance it reeks of brown-nosing. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're looking for upward advancement, but not when done blatantly.)

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

I don't think I could relate to someone 20-30 years older than me even if they were my race.
This. Though being a similar race to your superiors *may* help in *some* situations, I know of white peers who are going through the same thing. IMHO you should make an effort to fraternize, but only in a way that feels comfortable to you. If you try too hard, or make too aggressive of a move in search of acceptance it reeks of brown-nosing. (Which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you're looking for upward advancement, but not when done blatantly.)

I use to have that problem but you have to dig and find something you and the older people have in common other than sports and drinks.

I use to have that problem but you have to dig and find something you and the older people have in common other than sports and drinks.

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

Get your bread and keep it moving.
I keep my head down, barely socialize other than the hi/bye & movie/sports chit chat and I'm one of the top reps in the office.
It's better like that, avoid the rumors and the limelight. 

Originally Posted by TheAfricanDream

Get your bread and keep it moving.
I keep my head down, barely socialize other than the hi/bye & movie/sports chit chat and I'm one of the top reps in the office.

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

=Get your bread and keep it moving.
Do your best to assimilate but you can always just do you and keep stacking. Have a good relationship with the higher ups even if it just telling them what they wanna hear.

I have some coworkers who are close to my age, 22, but others I consider old, like 35-40 years my senior and we just keep it cordial, good morning, talk about work and occasionally some soccer and thats about it.

Originally Posted by NachoBroadway

=Get your bread and keep it moving.
Do your best to assimilate but you can always just do you and keep stacking. Have a good relationship with the higher ups even if it just telling them what they wanna hear.

I have some coworkers who are close to my age, 22, but others I consider old, like 35-40 years my senior and we just keep it cordial, good morning, talk about work and occasionally some soccer and thats about it.

yeah NachoBroadway has a point.. socializing should be the last thing on your mind with these guys.. just working hard should be your main priority..

on the other hand.. one thing i've realized is that most of us folks are very similar, regardless of age or race, it's just who we choose to open up to.. maybe you should try to see if one of them will open up to you, or you could open up to one of them.. not about anything serious, just something out of the ordinary sports talk..

if all else fails.. bring up the one subject every man can relate to.. women.

yeah NachoBroadway has a point.. socializing should be the last thing on your mind with these guys.. just working hard should be your main priority..

on the other hand.. one thing i've realized is that most of us folks are very similar, regardless of age or race, it's just who we choose to open up to.. maybe you should try to see if one of them will open up to you, or you could open up to one of them.. not about anything serious, just something out of the ordinary sports talk..

if all else fails.. bring up the one subject every man can relate to.. women.

Back
Top Bottom