R. Kelly Admits He Asked For His Mother's Hand In Marriage

One of my favorite live renditions of this record. Strong vocal performance.

Last edited:
I still say he took Aaron Hall style from him :lol:

Jacked that man whole swag

He never denied that. On that same token, Aaron took from Charlie Wilson, who took from Stevie Wonder, and so on and so forth. Kells' humility and work ethic, however, is what set him apart from Aaron Hall a long, long time ago. Kelly's struggles made him dig even deeper into his music, while Hall kinda fell off after a while.

Uhm

Stevie, Whitney, Mariah, Ray, Aretha, Janet, Luther, Prince, Gaye, James Brown, Mike Jackson? 

Do you mean of the last 25 years or something he is Top 3?
I'm putting R. over Janet with not much difficulty.

Unless we're talking about different Janets.

When we really look at his contribution to the genre and music overall he's done a lot more than others on that list. Anybody who wasn't writing and producing their own work should sit it out.

Last edited:
He never denied that. On that same token, Aaron took from Charlie Wilson, who took from Stevie Wonder, and so on and so forth. Kells' humility and work ethic, however, is what set him apart from Aaron Hall a long, long time ago. Kelly's struggles made him dig even deeper into his music, while Hall kinda fell off after a while.

If you talking about stealing musical style, that's different.

I'm talking about persona. And please don't say the sunglasses :lol: R Kelly was a mirror image of Aaron.

Took from Charlie Wilson? Musically maybe but presence no. Bald Head, Glasses

Hall was hung up on assault charges, jail time, and rumor of being a woman beater. He had drop a 2nd album. I think after that he ghost.

Coming back trying to unite with Guy back in 2000, they broke up right after :lol:

Years ago he dropped an album- Adults Only.

For me Kellz, is the greatest musician of all time. He's that good. He made I believe I can fly. He made I wish. The stuff of legend.

I also have no problem separating Robert Kelly from R. Kelly. They are not the same, and if you listen to Bump and Grind, or Honey Love, and assume Kellz is singing about an underaged female then I mean...I guess? But when I listen to those records I'm not thinking about no underaged chick so I don't care who he's subliminally singing about 
laugh.gif

i  feel you on this. same way with mj . everyone said he was a molester and then when he died he was loved again. naw. i never stopped liking his music even if i didnt care for the man . that ish is irrelevant to what he did as an artist. 

really someone putting janet as one of the greatest artist ever. 
eyes.gif

Last edited:
Yep.

Wen i listen to the musics its only the musics on my mind.

Mite reminisce or daydream but i never think about the extra stuff.

If michael jackson were alive and he asked to babysit my kids tho.

Hell no.
Better stay yo *** in neverland

Last edited:
MJ
Stevie
Ray Charles
Marvin
Prince
Sly Stone
The Isleys
Al Green
Isaac Hayes
Curtis Mayfield
Earth, Wind Fire
Aretha

And that's just soul/r&b. George Clinton, Hendrix, Little Richard, etc. are all above him too. These are people that transcended their genre and hit people outside the genre's fanbase. For every great song he has like I Believe I Can Fly/I WIsh he has 5 absolutely ridiculous songs, I honestly don't know anyone that doesn't listen to only rap/R&B that even listens to him.

If you talking about stealing musical style, that's different.

I'm talking about persona. And please don't say the sunglasses :lol: R Kelly was a mirror image of Aaron.

Took from Charlie Wilson? Musically maybe but presence no. Bald Head, Glasses

Hall was hung up on assault charges, jail time, and rumor of being a woman beater. He had drop a 2nd album. I think after that he ghost.

Coming back trying to unite with Guy back in 2000, they broke up right after :lol:

Years ago he dropped an album- Adults Only.

Like I said, he never denied Hall influencing his style. His look and sound from the first album was what was popping around that time, the New Jack Swing. He was a harder and edgier version of Aaron Hall by the time "12 Play" came out. After that, he was in his own lane. He surpassed Aaron Hall completely in the mid-90's. Image is one thing. The music is what outlives us all. Go back and listen to those Gap Band and Guy albums back to back. It's not a "maybe". It's facts lol. Why do you think Quincy Jones had Aaron Hall, Ron Isley, and Charlie Wilson on an R. Kelly produced-track in '94? It's called "Heaven's Girl". Kelly can produce albums that reach every single demographic in the black community, let alone most music markets. He can drop a bunch of Stevie Wonder "reject" tracks as an album tomorrow, and it'll still be top-notch material. He admittedly goes the "new" r&b and hip hop route just to stay relevant.

Last edited:
He tried country music and it was good. He also did those throwback albums with the 60s-70s sound and it sounded great. Love Letter and Write Me Back. I don't know many artists that can make music that sounds straight out of that era. Maybe we don't know many artists that have done it or are willing to do it?

As for the lists, they're all opinion. Not facts. I stated my opinion, I think when we state lists, we're stating our strong opinions.

Its all crazy he was able to revive the legends, Charlie Wilson and The Isley Brothers. They were all legends, got real cold. R. Kelly wrote and produced music for them and they're platinum again. **** like that is what makes him such a big deal in ALL genres.

I enjoyed Love Letter and Write Me Back.

I remember Raphael Saadiq did a couple of years before him...great album

R. Kelly has to get credit for creating the "Avant" character.

Avant was essentially the Lex Luger to R Kelly's hulk hogan.

http://www.bet.com/music/2016/12/19...ompletely-ban-r--kelly-from-performing-a.html

This Petition Wants to Completely Ban R. Kelly From Performing at Soulquarius

Being a fan of R. Kelly's doesn't always come without a subtle but looming feeling of utter conflict.

While some are die-hard, loyal supporters of the R&B icon through thick and thin, even egging on his inappropriate antics while on stage, others simply are disgusted by his past allegations of sexual assault and refuse to support his music.

In fact, some fans are bringing to light R. Kelly's less-than-shining reputation by asking event organizers to have him completely removed from an upcoming festival line-up.

On Sunday (Dec. 18), a Change.org petition was created by R&B fan Jamie Thompson, who is making a strong case that the forthcoming Soulquarius one-day festival will go off just fine without the singer.

"It's this sort of nonchalance and casual embrace of abusers that rests at the fulcrum of rape culture, violence against women, and in this case, misogynoir," the petition states. "2017 is around the corner and many of us still have to look on in disgust as a proven predator, rapist and serial abuser of young Black girls and women remains embraced in the world of music. Stop booking this man. Stop supporting this man."

In addition to presenting a call-to-action against R. Kelly, the petition also includes a link to an article posted on Huffington Post, detailing examples of R. Kelly's "forgotten" sexual assault cases.

The petition is currently getting closer to the 500 it needs to garner the attention of festival organizers. The singer has yet to offer a comment on the matter.

Take a look at the petition calling for R. Kelly's removal from what is shaping up to be the hottest R&B event of 2017 here.

Back
Top Bottom