Race Relations in the United States - Let's Dialogue and Educate

Originally Posted by beh235

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Honestly when you're winning you don't care about the losing team. Rookies on the Lakers think they are better than they are because they are Lakers. But they don't realize if the Wizards drafted them they would be in a whole different world. Its all how the ping pong balls bounce man.
Get that JaVale McGee logic outta here lol

Funny how McGee is playing better with the Nuggets huh...hes in a better environment.  Think about it

Originally Posted by slickp42189

DC, you have fair points. That's the problem though, there is no reasonable tangible way to deal with it now. It's so far gone, you can't begin to specify in what way the wrong can be righted. Hell, a good start would to acknowledge that it was an injustice done to black people. We are the only group brought to America against our will. Everyone else chose to come here. To slicks point, how would interracial dating get rid of racism? That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think people really understand the magnitude of slavery from a mental, financial, and social aspect. It's really profound.
not just dating, procreating and marriage, from my experiences and observations of social interactions, anything that can separate a brown skinned person from the avg black american works and it dissociates them from the stigma that comes along with their race, zoe saldana is clearly black, but you would be hard pressed to get many whites, and even blacks, to agree with you on that one, a bunch of mixed kids would definitely blur racism

Sorry Slick, but I think that viewpoint is short sighted and blanketed. It would still cause problems with the mixed children with the whole "tragic mulatto" complex. To add to that, say it did "solve" the racism problem, you forget that we are still all human beings. In society, American society in particular, we feel the need to feel separate from others in some shape or form. So while you would think you would solve one problem, there would be another form of exclusion, elitism etc created among your beige legion
laugh.gif
its blanketed, not short sighted, that tragic mulatto stuff is bs, im not saying i know enough biracials to consider it a valid case study but out of all the mixed kids i know/met theyve never had that roadblock, and i dont see it effecting anyone in the media, and i think youre thinking everyone would look the same, theres enough genetic variation to separate individuals even if you have a million biracial kids, some will look like halle berry, some will look like alicia keys, the racism wouldnt be as drastic but you would still have your exclusivity and elitism man dont worry, there will be rich mixeds and poor mixeds as well as ugly mixeds and pretty mixeds

DC, you have fair points. That's the problem though, there is no reasonable tangible way to deal with it now. It's so far gone, you can't begin to specify in what way the wrong can be righted. Hell, a good start would to acknowledge that it was an injustice done to black people. We are the only group brought to America against our will. Everyone else chose to come here. To slicks point, how would interracial dating get rid of racism? That just doesn't make sense to me. I don't think people really understand the magnitude of slavery from a mental, financial, and social aspect. It's really profound.
not just dating, procreating and marriage, from my experiences and observations of social interactions, anything that can separate a brown skinned person from the avg black american works and it dissociates them from the stigma that comes along with their race, zoe saldana is clearly black, but you would be hard pressed to get many whites, and even blacks, to agree with you on that one, a bunch of mixed kids would definitely blur racism

Sorry Slick, but I think that viewpoint is short sighted and blanketed. It would still cause problems with the mixed children with the whole "tragic mulatto" complex. To add to that, say it did "solve" the racism problem, you forget that we are still all human beings. In society, American society in particular, we feel the need to feel separate from others in some shape or form. So while you would think you would solve one problem, there would be another form of exclusion, elitism etc created among your beige legion
laugh.gif
Not only that it would be some new type of ism to come out. There will always be something people will use to be "better/different" than the other groups.

Honestly when you're winning you don't care about the losing team. Rookies on the Lakers think they are better than they are because they are Lakers. But they don't realize if the Wizards drafted them they would be in a whole different world. Its all how the ping pong balls bounce man.

Funny how McGee is playing better with the Nuggets huh...hes in a better environment.  Think about it

Yeah yeah, let's not derail this man.

Derail?  My first post was a analogy for this topic. 

laugh.gif
its blanketed, not short sighted, that tragic mulatto stuff is bs, im not saying i know enough biracials to consider it a valid case study but out of all the mixed kids i know/met theyve never had that roadblock, and i dont see it effecting anyone in the media, and i think youre thinking everyone would look the same, theres enough genetic variation to separate individuals even if you have a million biracial kids, some will look like halle berry, some will look like alicia keys, the racism wouldnt be as drastic but you would still have your exclusivity and elitism man dont worry, there will be rich mixeds and poor mixeds as well as ugly mixeds and pretty mixeds
1. It's BS huh? I beg to differ on that one
2. Media? Come on man, you mean to tell me you take cues from the media. G T F O H
3. I'm not a moron, I don't think there are going to be beige clones walking around
laugh.gif

4. Looking like Halle Berry and Alicia huh?
indifferent.gif
. Turn off your TV and see reason #2.
5. Rich/Poor is a cross population issue. Pretty/Ugly? What is this high school? Come on man.

I encourage you to read more through books and stop relying on google and shortcuts man. Of course not every bi-racial person is severely affected by  the "tragic mulatto" complex, but it certainly exists on some level. When bi racial kids hang out with majority black/white groups on occasion, on some level they may feel "am I black/white enough",  be it big or small. If they're in a well adjusted group it won't be an issue, but it's an issue. It's just a fact of being aware of who they are as a person. To me, you sound like you look at tv for examples, that's the wrong place to look for examples, when I made my points, I had every day people in mind,

Derail?  My first post was a analogy for this topic. 
I got that. I just don't want those who don't get that to act stupid. So, I should be happier if I had white ping pong balls? No?

Racism is built on fear, misunderstanding, and ignorance.

If you don't know about something, it can intimidate you because you don't know what to expect. You can only go off of what you've seen through society (Hearsay/TV/Movies/Music/Etc).

An innocent example of this is when I go to shake a white person's hand, and they try to give me a pound. A dangerous example of this is what led to the death of Trayvon Martin. We all need to do a better job of judging people on who they individually are rather than what race they belong too. And personally, I feel like recent generations have made steps in the right direction.

-G

calmandfrantic.wordpress.com

Race Relations in the United States - Let's Dialogue and Educate

Im all for dialogue and educating but I beleive before that could happen where it would beneficial to everyone we must start being honest with ourselves and race relations within America.Not politically correct, opinionated but honest across the board, with the past & the present.
The Treyvon Martin case is hopefully an eye-opener for those who think we exaggerate,we are focus to much on race,and it's not a problem because this is America.40+ years ago it was the civil right's movement this just confirms  we have aways to go.

What people intiated the construction of a race based caste system?
What race of people benefit the most from this racial categorization?
Through-out recorded history what race of people have committed the most atrocities based upon the subjection of another outside of their race?
What race of people have the most to lose at the removal of a racial supremacist infrastructure that entraps humanity?

Do people understand that racism cannot just be forgotten?
Do people understand that racism has played a valuable role in the political-economical-social reality of the world as we know?
Do people understand that in order for racism to be trully revoked from society its gonna take more than a smiling gesture at a stranger of another ethnicity?
Do people understand that the practices that implemented racism must be undone? As in meaning the laws, policies, and economical practices that uphold one people over another must be
throughly abolished?
Do people understand that if racism is revoked then we must also revoke the apprasial of anybody whom ever supported racial superiortiy?

Can it be agreed that racism is a xenophobic attribute that must be diagnosed as a pyschological condition? In tracing this pathological mindset, would it not lead
us back to a mentally disturbed people and culture? Will we be willing to diagnose and treat this problem? Would those infected be willing to admit the problem and accpet the help?

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Every person of color, particularly Black, should read The Isis Papers.

This is a must. We as a people can not address a problem that we can't even agree to define.

THE FAME wrote:

What people intiated the construction of a race based caste system?

the wealthy

What race of people benefit the most from this racial categorization?

see above

Through-out recorded history what race of people have committed the most atrocities based upon the subjection of another outside of their race?

this is impossible to calculate but i presume that an ideology of superiority to other races has always existed at some point in time for the majority of races on this planet as an instrument of control. 
What race of people have the most to lose at the removal of a racial supremacist infrastructure that entraps humanity?

Every elite class, which exploits racism to perpetuate the status-quo and maintain the current socio-economic structure

Do people understand that racism cannot just be forgotten? 

Ironically, isn't that what keeps it alive as well? 

Do people understand that racism has played a valuable role in the political-economical-social reality of the world as we know?

Absolutely. Imo people know that either consciously or subconsciously.

Do people understand that in order for racism to be trully revoked from society its gonna take more than a smiling gesture at a stranger of another ethnicity?

I think it should start with economic equality. 

Do people understand that the practices that implemented racism must be undone? As in meaning the laws, policies, and economical practices that uphold one people over another must be throughly abolished?

The people who have the power to do so, are the ones who will lose the most from it. This change will not come from inside the system by their doing imo.

Do people understand that if racism is revoked then we must also revoke the apprasial of anybody whom ever supported racial superiortiy?

Yes, but passing laws will not change the group consciousness of society. At most, it will make it less conspicuous.

...and what are these Isis papers? *Googles*

Originally Posted by Fantastic4our

People are ignorant, whether they want to or they really are clueless.

Instead of ridiculing these individuals, let's all have a dialogue about this country's history and why things are they way they are in the United States.

Of course some fools will be foolish but hopefully some will learn something new.

Yes, slavery was abolished some time ago thanks to the 13th Amendment in 1865 (not the Emancipation Proclamation, which made slavery illegal in the rebel states, which were, ya know, in a state of rebellion...) But what about the 3/5ths Compromise, which stated that slaves counted for approximately 60% of person, strictly for the purpose of determining number of representatives in the House. Or Jim Crow Laws (which ended in 1965, while many of our parents were still alive!), which pretty much justified separate but (in)equal public facilities.

Not to keep things strictly about Black Americans, let's discuss Japanese Internment Camps, a time in which Japanese Americans were LEGALLY detained due to Japan's actions during the Civil War. This was 1944. The US Government formally apologized in 1988
laugh.gif

Let's talk about McCarthyism. COINTELPRO. American Imperialism. The Patriot Act.

Let's talk about it guys.

Let's build

Really?

Racism is still alive and I can feel everyday as a Latino on the streets of NY. That's why I keep them shook by appearance, but appalled when confronted. You can get much farther in American society just by being white. Sad the only way I've achieved some upward social mobility is through minority geared programs/scholarships and diversity recruiters. Still living in a white man's world, don't be fooled.

go to 34:29 and until about 34:34 or so

was it a slip of the tongue or is there more to it?

Damn, I always want to participate in discussions like this here, but I never seem to make the time. I'll seriously try to for a couple threads that are around right now.

Racism is never going to go away because ignorance is never going to go away no matter the ethnicity.

Originally Posted by natisfynest

Racism is never going to go away because ignorance is never going to go away no matter the ethnicity.

Oh, is that the reason?

A lot of miseducation in this thread, not surprised, though.

Originally Posted by THE FAME

Originally Posted by blackmagnus514

Every person of color, particularly Black, should read The Isis Papers.
This is a must. We as a people can not address a problem that we can't even agree to define.
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Agreed, just let my friend hold down my copy, can't wait to get it back and read it again [/color]

IMHO, yes. I cant count how many times I have heard people say they dont like black people "because they are loud" or white people "because they are nosey"and so on. Which the only thing I can come up with is pure ignorance. How can you hate someone because of something so simple? There are a lot of things I dont agree with or like but I dont hate a whole entire ethnicity because of it.

Back
Top Bottom