Racism or no Racism: Delonas' Cartoon - Your Thoughts?

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

[Chris Rock]

"...And that's how good it is to be White...
NONE of y'all would trade places with me... AND I'M RICH!"

[/Bigger and Blacker]

laugh.gif

"there's a one-legged bus boy in here right now, who wouldn't trade places with my black a**"

varisoxfan and the badgeman: I can't tell if yall are playing dumb or really don't get it. Either way, its 09 and neither is an excuse.

Originally Posted by The Badgeman

Originally Posted by RockDeep

^^ lololol

Yeah.. it does almost seem like the Badgeman is just tryin to turn the Jagged edge in the gut.. I mean.. Im not the go hard all the time type.. But Badge.. come on man.

I dont remember.. are you white or black.. I don't recall and whats your age range. It could clarify if you are just giving the fellas a hard time or something else...
You goofed on an old picture of me in your thread just the other week, losing your memory already pops?
laugh.gif

Seriously, I didn't know I was "going hard", I just think that the logic being present tying the chimpanzee to Obama just because it references the stimulus is hardly bulletproof so I was hoping I could get a perspective that actually ties them together. I understand racist analogies but I think people are stretching to apply it in this case. Apparently people would rather hear echoes of agreement than questions of why something is perceived a certain way in an effort to understand the situation better so by all means continue.

Nah.. I wasn't sayin you were goin hard.. I was sayin Im not the go hard type.. BUT I agree with the below statement

varisoxfan and the badgeman: I can't tell if yall are playing dumb or really don't get it. Either way, its 09 and neither is an excuse.

To say its a stretch....trying to place the racist under and overtone of the Monkey is crazy...

My Daddy is WHITE and He could see it and my sons are mixed and THEY can see it...

Why two or more or anyone else who is above the age of 16 can't see it is crazy to me. Im not an apologist for all things racist. When its easy tosee..its just that.. Easy to see. When there is a stretch and something people are over reacting on.. I'll be the first to say it.

This is NOT one of those moments.

To go step further on what Kev quoted Chris Rock saying:

I do aiight in life.. I get BAD %!% White women.... who don't look like they date brothas..... that All American lookin White Boys can't get...andWhite Boys STILL wouldn't trade places with me for a day....

Unlike my older brother who wishes he were white... I like my looks and appearance...and wouldn't trade with a White Dude either... I like the heat Impackin...
wink.gif

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

I still dont get where people are saying that Obama is the monkey...

I think some of y'all like to just make things seem harder then they actually are. Its a cartoon in a crappy paper that has zero cred. Deal.

People werent "up in arms" when Ludacris, a stupid ignorant rapper made a horrible comment about John McCain...

Ignorance is what it is, why some of you have this "bleeding heart" to make ignorant people see things the way you do is beyond me.

Me either man.

I don't know where they would get this from either:

obama_monkey.jpg

Or This:

obama-monkey-shirt.jpg

I just don't see it.

Its just Curious George and a generic monkey.

eyes.gif

My-T.

Come on Tommie your stretching... I mean there are only 100 more items you can find with OBAMA's name and a Monkey attached... its still a stretch though.

*sarcasm*

Dude.. I just sent this to erry person I could think of.

Truthfully insightful I think.

Varisox......Well atleast the Ignorant %++ rapper Ludacris gave a better apology then Rupert Murdoch did. And Murdoch didn't even write the damn thing.

Sean Delonas commented on it and said it wasn't reacist. he didn't apologize at all though, he just said the cartoon was about the stimulus and if itdepicted anybody getting shot, then it would have been Nancy Pelosi. Still bad..

Tell me what the difference is between Ludacris and Sean Delonas??? Please tell me.

Bmore is right, it's 09 and racism hasn't died at all.

I'm guessing you are a white guy, and if you are from Boston, no offense to anybody from there, but your opinions on this topic make sense

My sister went to Boston College as well as 2 of my Aunts... Until the time i visited my sister up there, i never understood why she called Boston the"Northern Miss/Alabama"

^^
Yeah... White dudes in Boston def hate brotha's bang GING their white women more than the white dudes down here....

Thats fact.. lol

Its Blaspheme!! lol Not Blasphamy

Hold up, hold up hold up.. i just re-read something

VARISOX.............................................................

Who is ignorant in here? Please tell me that....You don't understand why anybody is trying to make IGNORANT people understand our viewpoint?

Woooooooow

Ignorant people posting in here...

NEG-A-TEEEEEEEEEEEVE.... get that bullshh out of here. Somebody has a view and they post it.. you don't agree so they are ignorant......

I'm ji blown right now

Pot calling the Kettle Black at it's BEST

Originally Posted by MyTsharp

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

I still dont get where people are saying that Obama is the monkey...

I think some of y'all like to just make things seem harder then they actually are. Its a cartoon in a crappy paper that has zero cred. Deal.

People werent "up in arms" when Ludacris, a stupid ignorant rapper made a horrible comment about John McCain...

Ignorance is what it is, why some of you have this "bleeding heart" to make ignorant people see things the way you do is beyond me.

Me either man.

I don't know where they would get this from either:

obama_monkey.jpg

Or This:

obama-monkey-shirt.jpg

I just don't see it.

Its just Curious George and a generic monkey.

eyes.gif

My-T.
The pictures you posted leave no doubt as to who it's attributed to so...not really the same thing but again don't want to disturb theechoes from the gallery by asking any questions (especially when nobody appears to read the questions being asked).

^^Ahhhh come on Badge...

Keep the lines of Communication open....

I think everyone is trying to get a goo d understanding of your background to know if you honestly CAN"T see WHY Blacks would be up in arms OR don'tthink its a stretch. I believe RICO was miffed because Varisox or someone used the term ignorant.

Thats what many people think of those who say its no big deal or think its a stretch to call it racist. Thats all. Its dialogue like this for me at least, thathelps me understand WHY people think the way they do OR how they came to that thought or end point.

To ME? For someone to say they don't see the racist over and under tone in that depiction is as odd as someone saying they don't think racism exists.I'd believe there are white and black people who haven't seen people of the opposite color before in person before I really believed the aforementioned

Why? Because THAT actually happens still in America today.

Wow! I'm surprised by the level of ignorance displayed by some of you ...

Tommie you killed it!

I'm half Liberian and man I have had to deal with the ignorant APE comparisons from my own people (black Americans) and from the media in general since Iwas a child!

You have to be playing ignorant for the sake of playing ignorant to say that you can't see the ignorance ... its too easy to play dumb man ... do theknowledge and you too will be enlightened!

Yeah... White dudes in Boston def hate brotha's bang GING their white women more than the white dudes down here....
And Rock if you only knew how bad it IS up there ... Racism at its best ... properly covert but all in your face ... just like walking into a bigspider web in the dark!!

If ya'll want a taste try to move to the Italian section near Government Center in downtown Bean town ... all of your good paper can't get you in theirif you are black ... even with a white girl with you ... trust me I know from 1st hand experience (back in 03)... I was damn near at 6 figs at the time and Istill got fronted on ... suckas had the nerve to say "Well you know I have to run your credit?" ... WELL OF COURSE YOU DO ... I'M RENTING A HIGHRENT APARTMENT FROM YOU IN THIS MAJOR CITY!?!?!?!?!... to this day I don't know if it was me or the fact I had good paper & a white girl with me
tired.gif

Sorry for the digression folks but racism is for suckas!

^^Ahhhh come on Badge...

I think everyone is trying to get a goo d understanding of your background to know if you honestly CAN"T see WHY Blacks would be up in arms OR don't think its a stretch. I believe RICO was miffed because Varisox or someone used the term ignorant.

Thats what many people think of those who say its no big deal or think its a stretch to call it racist. Thats all. Its dialogue like this for me at least, that helps me understand WHY people think the way they do OR how they came to that thought or end point.

To ME? For someone to say they don't see the racist over and under tone in that depiction is as odd as someone saying they don't think racism exists. I'd believe there are white and black people who haven't seen people of the opposite color before in person before I really believed the aforementioned

What's the point? Personally I'm not making the connection of the monkey in the cartoon to Obama (which if that was the obviousconnection then YES it would be racist which I've explained multiple times already) and you apparently are making the connection even though to me it'svague at best, it's as simple as that. Telling me that "it just IS" doesn't cut it for me thus my questions. So if asking questions ofsomething that's to just be assumed and can't be properly explained in this particular situation is expressing ignorance than so be it. Everyone onhere I'm sure can pull up personal examples of experiencing racism in their life but venting about it doesn't necessarily make the monkey representObama in the cartoon. So it looks like I'll still be awaiting a response that actually ties it to Obama instead of the do-nothing Congress but I'msure it will be insults and anger instead so have at it.

^
"And that's how good it is too be white." You can just be right or left, and you're never "forced" to consider the complex factsin between both sides of the fence.

Is that statement a fact?

Is that statement racist?

You tell me, depending on your level of experience, background, education, etc.

Done..............................................................

I havent lived or been around Boston since I was 12....I grew up in DC.

Call the cartoon what you want...at the end of the day, your upset over nothing.

^^Ahhhh come on Badge...

I think everyone is trying to get a goo d understanding of your background to know if you honestly CAN"T see WHY Blacks would be up in arms OR don't think its a stretch. I believe RICO was miffed because Varisox or someone used the term ignorant.

Thats what many people think of those who say its no big deal or think its a stretch to call it racist. Thats all. Its dialogue like this for me at least, that helps me understand WHY people think the way they do OR how they came to that thought or end point.

To ME? For someone to say they don't see the racist over and under tone in that depiction is as odd as someone saying they don't think racism exists. I'd believe there are white and black people who haven't seen people of the opposite color before in person before I really believed the aforementioned

What's the point? Personally I'm not making the connection of the monkey in the cartoon to Obama (which if that was the obvious connection then YES it would be racist which I've explained multiple times already) and you apparently are making the connection even though to me it's vague at best, it's as simple as that. Telling me that "it just IS" doesn't cut it for me thus my questions. So if asking questions of something that's to just be assumed and can't be properly explained in this particular situation is expressing ignorance than so be it. Everyone on here I'm sure can pull up personal examples of experiencing racism in their life but venting about it doesn't necessarily make the monkey represent Obama in the cartoon. So it looks like I'll still be awaiting a response that actually ties it to Obama instead of the do-nothing Congress but I'm sure it will be insults and anger instead so have at it.

Ok.. You don't see the connection: But its moments like these that ignorant is not bliss.

See Howard Cossell
6a00d83451f25369e2010535b3b091970c-800wi

The "little monkey" incident
Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for stating "look at that little monkey go", when he referred to a play by black wide receiver Alvin Garrett of the Washington ********. While some saw "little monkey" as a racial slur, televised footage shows that Cosell routinely used this phrase in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities.

He was ignorant of WHY it correlates to Black people (not just Obama) and he took alot of grief.

See Jimmy the Greek bro for other examples... but hey.. Like the Washington Post...

If you don't get it you just dont get it.

As for Varisox.. upset at nothing...? Nahh.. Im not upset.. nor shocked.. but the fact that you can say Black people are upset over nothing IS ignorant atWorse...

Being Racist or Ignorant to Racism.. I don't know at this point which is worse. At least Racist just come out with it and admit they are eh?

Originally Posted by eyes of hazel

^
"And that's how good it is too be white." You can just be right or left, and you're never "forced" to consider the complex facts in between both sides of the fence.

Is that statement a fact?

Is that statement racist?

You tell me, depending on your level of experience, background, education, etc.

Done..............................................................
Like I skip everywhere I go with my head in the clouds blissfully ignorant every day whistling "Don't Worry Be Happy" and collectthe money that falls down to me every day from the sky, c'mon Kevin
laugh.gif

Obviously if I didn't give a damn I wouldn't have asked in the thread.

^^Ahhhh come on Badge...

What's the point? Personally I'm not making the connection of the monkey in the cartoon to Obama (which if that was the obvious connection then YES it would be racist which I've explained multiple times already) and you apparently are making the connection even though to me it's vague at best, it's as simple as that. Telling me that "it just IS" doesn't cut it for me thus my questions. So if asking questions of something that's to just be assumed and can't be properly explained in this particular situation is expressing ignorance than so be it. Everyone on here I'm sure can pull up personal examples of experiencing racism in their life but venting about it doesn't necessarily make the monkey represent Obama in the cartoon. So it looks like I'll still be awaiting a response that actually ties it to Obama instead of the do-nothing Congress but I'm sure it will be insults and anger instead so have at it.

Ok.. You don't see the connection: But its moments like these that ignorant is not bliss.

See Howard Cossell
6a00d83451f25369e2010535b3b091970c-800wi

The "little monkey" incident
Cosell drew criticism during one Monday Night Football telecast in September 1983, for stating "look at that little monkey go", when he referred to a play by black wide receiver Alvin Garrett of the Washington ********. While some saw "little monkey" as a racial slur, televised footage shows that Cosell routinely used this phrase in an approving way to describe quicker, smaller players of all ethnicities.

He was ignorant of WHY it correlates to Black people (not just Obama) and he took alot of grief.

See Jimmy the Greek bro for other examples... but hey.. Like the Washington Post...

If you don't get it you just dont get it.

As for Varisox.. upset at nothing...? Nahh.. Im not upset.. nor shocked.. but the fact that you can say Black people are upset over nothing IS ignorant at Worse...

Being Racist or Ignorant to Racism.. I don't know at this point which is worse. At least Racist just come out with it and admit they are eh?
Jimmy the Greek drunkenly espoused a kooky racial theory and Cosell used a VERY poor choice of words to describe an athlete's performance. Both are far easier to tie meaning to so you're not going to get an argument out of me on those but I fail to see where the cartoon falls under the sameroof. You can say I don't get it and I can say the same in return, in the end it's still pretty poor logic to tie into how I'm supposed tounderstand something.

12 years.. enough to soak up the IGNORANT way of thinking up there.

Rock, you expressed my point.

To call people Ignorant (which would basically be the African Americans on this board) because they believe the imagery displayed in the cartoon was racist....It is actually a step below being ignorant

Toweh, if you wanted to live in Mass, you were better off moving to Rockport if that was an option.

So if asking questions of something that's to just be assumed and can't be properly explained in this particular situation is expressing ignorance than so be it.

Exactly. Like I told Tommie, as long as I am honest and say that I don't believe that the point of this cartoon was to compare it to Obama, I'm goingto be viewed as naive, ignorant, and racist...

Why aren't we discussing Tyler Perry's use of only a handful of white characters in his new film with all of them being antagonists? I was disgusted byit, and by disgusted I mean I went home and went on with my day.

Badgeman... You can cool off

I don't think anybody (Rock or whoever else) are trying to pick on you..

In your first respone to the topic, you agreed along with many of us that you do not see the connection between the two stories..As well
as stating that you couldn't really see the blatant racism

So when we addressed your opinion, we were trying to get you to realize that there is a racial undertone to the comic.

You responded back with your opinion, and accepted ours, and you still stand by your original thoughts, so all is cool because you at least respected theopinions of others, while still providing good insight from your standpoint

Thank you everyone for responding, all feed back is good feedback. If no one else has anything else to really say.

/thread

Badge.. I def wasn't try to pick on you bbut get an honest assessment on what WASN"T said to let you understand the tie in.

If EVERYONE on 4 pages of dialogue couldn't make you understand and you still don't see it as racist nothing will.

To DK... We didn't discuss Tyler Perry cause you didn't bring up a thread for it. But like you said you went about your day.. I have seen many movies Ihave liked and disliked that didn't really give a true dipiction of Blacks OR Whites... but I also split real life from Entertainment.

The Cartoon was not for entertainment Value. It was political satire. It happens all the time. Again. I am not shocked at all. Im shocked more at the responsesof folks not seein the connection to racism. Also.. Calling a person ignorant isn't always a bad thing. Its only a word defined by someone ignoring orunknowing.

I am ignorant of MANY MANY things. Had someone called anyone in here IGNANT.. I then would take offense!! lol

I always respect peoples honesty.. I don't have to agree or understand to respect it.

Again.. its what makes our Forum MUCH different from others...

We have S&T, Gen Pop, Jordan, and Nike/Retro ALL wrapped into one.

We are the only forum who has reverse engineered the Buy/Sell Forum (I'll take that credit! lol)

Back
Top Bottom