Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

New Question, how long before this new version of rap gets a complete name change and white artist submerge it?

I ask this because this is the first iteration of rap where you don't need black culture in order for it to still be popular. When I say rap i'm specifically talking this Thug, Uzi, Yachty, XXX, lil whoeva & the dozens upon dozens of artist they have spawned.

Because when you look at what this genre is comprised of,

1) There is 0 authenticity required, you can literally come from anywhere and do & say whatever you please & the fans eat it up
2) There's no real need for good songwriting or lyrics, this music is fairly easy to reproduce because it doesn't call for authentic experiences and detailed descriptions.
3) The subject matter doesn't really indulge in black culture as previous versions of hip-hop have. It's basically all drug use, sex, and money. Again those have always been prevalent in hiphop, however there was way more context & and description to the songs which called for diversity.
4) Diversity is gone, the fans don't care about copying, they don't don't really want to hear an artist story. It doesn't matter if the flow has been used or the beat is eeirily similar, as i've been told it's "All about the vibe & the fun"
5) There was a cool factor at one point, being looked at as a lame would get you laughed out of your career. Nowadays it seems as if doing corny **** just amplifies your star.
6) The websites & blogs, the kids on youtube who discuss & consume this music etc etc..... seem to be overwhelmingly white. Complex, Vice,
Noisey & individual tastemakers who cover this version of the genre don't seem submerged in black culture.
7) As always the label heads, the radio station owners, TV network owners, Streaming sites are primarily white.

In summation of all those factors, let's get real here, old millionaire white men weren't exactly enthused to be pouring millions of dollars into an art form comprised of poor black people & giving them a platform to become rich themselves & create opportunity for their families. but it was a handsome investment and made them billions. It was a culture they couldn't sell w/o black people because the music, the critics, the style,the talent & the story all pertained to black culture.

However what rap has morphed into as illustrated in those 7 points up there, this version of rap doesn't call for experience in black culture at all. it has become an easy process to create & distribute this kind of artist & music. So with those two things in mind what stops Record execs from taking this sound, disassociating from the rap name, finding some white rappers who will appeal to a larger scale and multiplying their profits?

I mean it's JT & Miguel, Adelle & Chrissette Michelle, Bieber & Chris Brown, G Easy & any rapper making mainstream muisc..... America likes similar artist more when they are white, and at a time there was no way you could have authentic rap w/o black people because the two cultures were tied at the soul. This new version tho, it has no ties to black culture & doesn't call for authenticity. So to all those who claim that the reduction in value should be ignored because a "young ***** just gettin his check", at this rate no young ***** gonna be making checks off rap in 20 years.

Again i'm gonna continue to reference this..

In the past two weeks Post Malone has stated reverse racism in rap & Now he's relegating rap as a Genre that has no "Real ****" basically "No Soul"..... and ya'll continue to question why people get mad when this new inverted version of rap is being pushed to the forefront.

http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2017-11-20-post-malone-hip-hop

"If you're looking for lyrics, if you're looking to cry, if you're looking to think about life, don't listen to hip-hop," Malone told Warsaw, Poland media outlet NewOnce. "There's great hip-hop songs where they talk about life and they spit that real ****, but right now, there's not a lot of people talking about real ****. Whenever I want to cry, whenever I want to sit down and have a nice cry, I'll listen to some Bob Dylan. Or whenever I'm trying to have a good time and stay in a positive mood, I listen to hip-hop. Because it's fun. I think hip-hop is important because it brings people together in a beautiful, happy way."

Giving a bunch of clown ****** a passage to come in and write rules on a culture they adopted.

In the past two weeks Post Malone has stated reverse racism in rap & Now he's relegating rap as a Genre that has no "Real ****" basically "No Soul"..... and ya'll continue to question why people get mad when this new inverted version of rap is being pushed to the forefront.

"If you're looking for lyrics, if you're looking to cry, if you're looking to think about life, don't listen to hip-hop," Malone told Warsaw, Poland media outlet NewOnce. "There's great hip-hop songs where they talk about life and they spit that real ****, but right now, there's not a lot of people talking about real ****. Whenever I want to cry, whenever I want to sit down and have a nice cry, I'll listen to some Bob Dylan. Or whenever I'm trying to have a good time and stay in a positive mood, I listen to hip-hop. Because it's fun. I think hip-hop is important because it brings people together in a beautiful, happy way."

Giving a bunch of clown *****s a passage to come in and write rules on a culture they adopted.

Are we mad because what he's saying isn't true or are we mad because we don't want to hear this from a white dude who wouldn't be where he is without hip hop culture embracing him?

You yourself were just in here talking about how most new urban rap only talks about prescription drugs and foolishness. Of course there will always be those few conscious acts like Cole/Dreamville, Kendrick, etc. ("right now, there's not a lot of people...") but for the most part the truth is that as long as you can ride a beat and can somehow get in front of enough people to where they are introduced to your song, you can talk about anything, and on top of that there's no longer a requirement that you have to be about or even affiliated with what you're talking about (Snoop was cool with the Crips so they let him create a character using their story, Plies and his brother, etc.). Magnolia, although fire, was a hit record about selling crack from a suburban fashion Tumblr *****.

If he's talking about rap in 2017, he's right for the most part. If I want some real **** from rap I gotta bump old ****. Unless someone wanna put me on to some new cats who aren't just on the same drugs, cooch-e and violence wave. Or at least talk about it in a real way.

As far as the reverse racism, I remember talking about how dope Stoney was and people didn't wanna like it simple because he was white. If Leon Bridges made Stoney people on here would love it.

I understand where that energy comes from but Post ain't really the one that deserves that. Yet. What you're saying about mumble rap and **** making the way for labels to pump out hella Matt Ox's and Post knockoffs is real **** tho.

Last edited:
patrice.png

Ain't watch yet but on IG caption he made the very good point that if they didn't have his back end, they made it at the door and coulda paid Moneybagg with that. Moneybagg looking scary as hell he gotta drop this to distract us.

Can't believe I'm asking this but info on Ak's shirt?

I like that logo I'm assuming it's a Puma collab with someone.

Ain't watch yet but on IG caption he made the very good point that if they didn't have his back end, they made it at the door and coulda paid Moneybagg with that. Moneybagg looking scary as hell he gotta drop this to distract us.

Feels like Moneybagg bout to really blow up. His tape sold more than Wale's album just off of street buzz. As far as the beef stuff they need to chop it up about this lil BS. I remember watching one of Moneybaggs interviews and he said his hood turned on him cuz he signed to Gotti. Moneybagg and Dolph from the same area, they was cool but he signed with Gotti. It's obvious Bagg and Youngsta don't rock with each other. Don't know what all the details were but he probably shoulda signed to Dolph

Giving a bunch of clown *****s a passage to come in and write rules on a culture they adopted.

And there it is. Hip Hop don't mean **** to him. It's fun, it's like a trend. Like his gold teeth and cornrows. Dude is basically saying Rap now is lazy and I'm going along with what's hot to build myself (his song Rockstar). Don't be surprised if he turns into another Kid Rock. Leaves hip hop and starts talking like one of these confederate flag waving fools.

Then all these people that gave him a pass will be saying "Damn I thought he was one of us".

Back
Top Bottom