Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Cold game.

artist got 20% (so $300,001) label got $1,590,000... all in about $1,900,000 between the artist and label.

artists better know what to do with that $300,000.
The tweet is misleading because it’s making it seem as if the label received $1.5 million, while the artist got $1...

which is false. The artists received $300,000. Would I do 80/20 split? No. I’d prefer 50/50 or 60/40 (my way).

I've seen "he picks today of all days" "my ***** read the room" so many times on my TL since bruh dropped that tweet :rofl:

They ain’t say s*** when Megan interjected herself during certain proceedings. A lot of these fake pro black people sicken me.

when Chadwick died or Jacob Blake incident happened, she was dropping freestyles. F****outtahere

Last edited:
They probably still messing with each other. He probably knew about the cover and decided to hold off until after

To me, it’s all a publicity stunt. Simply because her album flopped. Her formula will
be over soon. It’s rinse and repeat nowadays. Especially with these stripper rappers.
Has she even done a tour? Before the pandemic. I guess it’s a way for her to be relevant

Cold game.

I mean you're getting a 530K advance loan with no collateral. If the terms say you need to pay it back before you start earning, how is that unfair? This is life, if you want to use other people's money to launch your business it comes with a price. 80/20 is harsh, but there are people with splits in their favor as well. Hottest artists get to negotiate better terms, like any business.

I mean you're getting a 530K advance loan with no collateral. If the terms say you need to pay it back before you start earning, how is that unfair? This is life, if you want to use other people's money to launch your business it comes with a price. 80/20 is harsh, but there are people with splits in their favor as well. Hottest artists get to negotiate better terms, like any business.

Man MICHAEL JACKSON & PRINCE were complaining about their contracts, yes i guess you do negotiate "better" terms but what is that really when the initial deal was atrocious.

Also these "terms" are definitely not that cut & dry/ simple.

Last edited:
Man MICHAEL JACKSON & PRINCE were complaining about their contracts, yes i guess you do negotiate "better" terms but what is that really when the initial deal was atrocious.

Also these "terms" are not definitely not that cut & dry/ simple.
I don't know what their contracts were. They are likely entirely different, and those are artists who recorded 45 years ago. I can tell you for fact there are current popular artists with better splits than 80/20 today.

I only spoke regarding the contract in the tweet, and the contract pictured shows the artist getting 530k with zero risk. If the artist flops for whatever reason and doesn't get streams, the label is out 530K. Due to the splits, the label recoups more moving forward but no one ever talks about the risk being put into an artist.

Say an artist'a buzz was super hot like Lil Pump and gets a 10 mil advance, and fell off to the point he can't stream enough to get it back if he dropped an album right now. The label loses millions while this guy got to blow the advance on mansions and cars that they can't recoup. There's a reason labels take such huge splits because artists are a huge liability vs traditional businesses that don't rely on one person or act.

I don't know what their contracts were. They are likely entirely different, and those are artists who recorded 45 years ago. I can tell you for fact there are current popular artists with better splits than 80/20 today.

I only spoke regarding the contract in the tweet, and the contract pictured shows the artist getting 530k with zero risk. If the artist flops for whatever reason and doesn't get streams, the label is out 530K. Due to the splits, the label recoups more moving forward but no one ever talks about the risk being put into an artist.

Say an artist'a buzz was super hot like Lil Pump and gets a 10 mil advance, and fell off to the point he can't stream enough to get it back if he dropped an album right now. The label loses millions while this guy got to blow the advance on mansions and cars that they can't recoup. There's a reason labels take such huge splits because artists are a huge liability vs traditional businesses that don't rely on one person or act.

Ennnhhh.... but the recording industry f**** over a lot of people in the past so I have NO sympathy for them taking losses on risky artists. You still got artist from older eras that can’t get royalties and have to sue. Record labels have always been shady. I will never sympathize with million dollar corporations who do predatory deals.

Artists should be smarter and lastly, these labels are well aware that most these people only want a few chains, cars and clothes so, they sell that dream. It is what it is.

Use them how they use you.

To me, it’s all a publicity stunt. Simply because her album flopped. Her formula will
be over soon. It’s rinse and repeat nowadays. Especially with these stripper rappers.
Has she even done a tour? Before the pandemic. I guess it’s a way for her to be relevant

Nah, because Tory gained nothing.

He went from one of the hottest five people from quarantine, to not being heard from for two months.

Ennnhhh.... but the recording industry f**** over a lot of people in the past so I have NO sympathy for them taking losses on risky artists. You still got artist from older eras that can’t get royalties and have to sue. Record labels have always been shady. I will never sympathize with million dollar corporations who do predatory deals.

Artists should be smarter and lastly, these labels are well aware that most these people only want a few chains, cars and clothes so, they sell that dream. It is what it is.

I never said anyone should have sympathy for labels. No one should feel bad, I was just explaining the logic behind why they are able to get such large splits over artists. More risk more reward, if labels lose that's on them.

Lately so many 9-5 working people who've never run a business or dealt with venture funding have been running around speaking like they are Mark Cuban about deals. Building leverage in any business without taking money is extremely hard, and without leverage or track record only the poorest deals will be available to you. If launching anything independently was so easy, everyone in here would be working for themselves.

what is a label spending 530k in marketing on in 2020. Or even 100k bc I don’t have it in front of me but I remember it was like 100 marketing something for recoding and some was an advance

lol it’s a lot of Hollywood accounting going on in the music industry

Also all that money shouldn’t be coming from their royalties to recoup if the label is eating off of everything 360 lol why doesn’t that other money count towards recouping

labels don’t take losses flop artists are tax write offs and Drake Rihanna Kanye level success funds whole labels :lol:

they bank on having maybe 10 super huge acts and then 100 acts that flop :lol: like that’s their model

Screenshot-20200925-021208-Chrome.jpg

:rofl:

Predatory Lender Records

I think some artist lie about their deal and don't really know it. They want to give off the impression of having money and not broke.

Hell part of Russ' promotion and what he is always going viral for is for being "indie". When ever I hear about him, it's never got something he spit or a song, it's some **** he typed.

Think about this, Drake didn't sign a good deal after a bidding war after So Far Gone.

Contracts can always be done, but if they're advantageous to the label, they have no reason to.

Back
Top Bottom