Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Damn she got a point. My sis out Rockville will claim yb before she'd do wale.
Question is, does he ever push for the DMV?

DC and the DMV is more territorial than New York.

Plus I think Wale's antics and aesthetic turned people off early on. He's done a lot better with that, but people already have their minds made up.

Honestly with the way social media is now and these young dudes act, his antics would probably work now. But ten, thirteen years ago, nah.

There definitely was a point where it was cool to hate on Wale. “He not from DC…” blah blah. And he got tired of not getting the love back. Despite all that I feel like he still shouted out the area on every project, featured gogo bands, created ties with the local sports teams, etc.

I sit here and think about the hiphop talent the DMV [extended] has produced and are killing it to this day… Wale, Pharrell/The Neptunes, Timbaland, Clipse, Missy, Logic, Cordae, JPEGMAFIA… We have a presence in so many lanes and the fact we let a metro map create so much divisiveness is a shame.

Aint no reason Dave Chapelle should be associated more with Mos Def and Talib when his hometown has produced some of the biggest stars in the genre.

Wale is the epitome of DMV put on. Prior to him it was pretty much underground rappers. Substantial is successful (featured on a lot of Nujabes stuff), but he was living in Japan. Diamond District/Oddissee didn't make it past the blogs. Wale is the clear marker of when DMV rappers started getting mainstream recognition (honorable mention to Tabi Bonney)

That 'local/neighborhood' hater mentality is just a byproduct of being hood famous in the gogos. Most 'local/neighborhood' rappers are garbage and wont make it mainstream. Wale's wasn't from the hood (even though he grew up in DC as a kid), so he wasn't considered "real DC" by them. Thats why most successful DMV rappers post-Wale weren't trap rappers or the new DMV flow rappers.

Fat Trel, Shy Glizzy and even Young Gleesh are probably the only exceptions, but they branched off the Wale tree. Cordae, GoldLink, Logic, Rico Nasty, IDK, etc. are more successful and don't have to put on for the area (even though Logic forces it).

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I don’t think there’s a DMV artist you could pick right now say oh he got next on a semi mainstream level.

I’ve said it before but the the real and simple reason Wale doesn’t get as much luv is yo doesn’t fit the “type” of artist the city wants to get behind and rep em

Same thing where I’m from, it’s only a certain of artist folks gon be behind, if you a lil different from that then you working in the background with less buzz but Probly more money/connections like a King Los

Also the whole “DMV” **** has always been dumb and confusing, wicked how the local folks in music n hip hop culture jumped on that bs n ran with it :smh:

I’ve said it before but the the real and simple reason Wale doesn’t get as much luv is yo doesn’t fit the “type” of artist the city wants to get behind and rep em

Same thing where I’m from, it’s only a certain of artist folks gon be behind, if you a lil different from that then you working in the background with less buzz but Probly more money/connections like a King Los
Tldr "trenches my ***, that ***** Nigerian!"

Also the whole “DMV” **** has always been dumb and confusing, wicked how the local folks in music n hip hop culture jumped on that bs n ran with it :smh:
I can see the “type” argument just based on the antics but how unified was DC during his come up? Say Wale was born and bred in Anacostia would Kenilworth Ave support him? Would DJs from different hoods play his music just because he was from the city?

I think repping the DMV as a whole was the best move for him to stay above the street politics. He really is a product of DC/PG/MoCo so pushing the “DMV” made sense instead of fighting for DC to embrace him. If you didn’t spend 99% of your childhood/teenage years in DC then you got called out if you tried to claim it.

Its been said before but the DMV is so damn territorial for locals. We should’ve had an ATL type run/impact based on the stars the region produced. If only we embraced each other and extended hands to B-more and VA beach…

I can see the “type” argument just based on the antics but how unified was DC during his come up? Say Wale was born and bred in Anacostia would Kenilworth Ave support him? Would DJs from different hoods play his music just because he was from the city?

I think repping the DMV as a whole was the best move for him to stay above the street politics. He really is a product of DC/PG/MoCo so pushing the “DMV” made sense instead of fighting for DC to embrace him. If you didn’t spend 99% of your childhood/teenage years in DC then you got called out if you tried to claim it.

Its been said before but the DMV is so damn territorial for locals. We should’ve had an ATL type run/impact based on the stars the region produced. If only we embraced each other and extended hands to B-more and VA beach…
None of those issues would exist because DC didn't have a big enough rap scene to establish those relationships and most of on-air DJs weren't from the city to even care. Wale's success is from his good rapping, streetwear/sneaker cred, and the ladies liked him. He didn't need co-signs from hood ******.

FB_IMG_1683661110008.jpg

None of those issues would exist because DC didn't have a big enough rap scene to establish those relationships and most of on-air DJs weren't from the city to even care. Wale's success is from his good rapping, streetwear/sneaker cred, and the ladies liked him. He didn't need co-signs from hood ******.
I also forget that he’s from the Blog Era. He didn’t need the whole city behind him to blow but he did enough on the gogo circuit to get the local stamp.

But I’m not questioning Wale’s success. I’m questioning why the DMV hasn’t produced more hip-hop stars when we had the recipe. We had a distinct genre in Gogo, our own slang, and a rich history of producing musical legends across multiple genres, movie stars, and athletes.

There should be more Wales before and after him that you associate with the DMV. We’d have more to show had we embraced the regional construct instead of placing so much emphasis on which letter you actually came from or if you were from the “metro area”.

Wale the last dude on No Hands and the dude who rely on R&B ppl for the feature

A good rapper but never done anything 2 get over that stigma. I think youngins don't seem as being big enough to run out and claim buddy

Back
Top Bottom