Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

One of the worse things about the interview was Wale breaking down CC White like it was this mad intricate song that people couldn't decipher off one listen lol.

it was a cool record that has been done countless times before... him acting like it was groundbreaking shows you how he thinks he is better than he actually he is.

and the way he went at ole boy was pitiful... im pretty sure dud knows he is a square. Wale attempting to tear dude down based on what he values shows how much the stuff Ackademics says about him hurts him IMO
When he acted like he was the first person ever to liken cocaine to a woman I was like

So appalled
wale is another artist who would benefit from a youtube channel

he could use that to bring the audience closer to him, show other forms of his art or explain things better without the interviews

he could turn the perception around but he doesn't feel he has to

or his hate towards the fact that he's not perceived to be on a certain level has somewhat paralyzed his attempts
True true true, but I'm sure he thinks it's beneath him.

The other thing that bothered me about Wale this interview was that he took the most minimal amount of ownership in why he's not selling. He blamed folks not giving him enough of a listen, or understanding what he's writing, took a lil blame on the album drop issues but mostly tossed that on having a baby. I wanted somebody to ask him what he was gonna do to make people want to listen to him.
I literally laughed out loud when he was going on his tangent about how deep that song was.
He though he was a visionary with them bars. Word play was nice but he tryna drown us in a bird bath
dog wale said ak had his own special corny algorithm

he just renewed the word for atleast 10 more years

he was going hard at ak for atleast 15 minutes lol
I think you mean, "the whole interview". When Wale said his old self woulda had to see Ak with the cameras off, I woulda lost it. Wale woulda had to throw hands at that point. He was testin' Ak the whole interview tryin' him actin tough. He'd have to back it up at that point
I thought Ak handled it well. I would have called him out right there. Like you talking about your high school days is corny. You getting defensive and acting like a broad is corny. You telling me you don't care when you clearly do is corny. I would have had him running off the set in ten minutes. Breaking down a concept that gets done a few times a year. Spitting bars. It was 100x worse than I expected. I think Wale is in a better space mentally because of life and his kid but don't tell me you don't care. Nah
Wale that one ex that text you every month tellin' you how good they life is without you and ending each 2k letter text stream with "Be blessed"
get Cam'ron on the show
Yesss

They've said before there won't be a lot of guests on this show unless something big is going down. Cam is one of my favorites but I don't see him ever going on this show unless there's some controversy around him. Wale was there because he flopped and Ak said on a few eps that people find him corny and don't like him. Red dread guy was there to represent the younger crowd, talk about his weird album cover and music.

Last edited:
Cam should have been on Drink Champs a long time ago

along with Red, Busta, Rocky and Meth solo

I cant do Nore interrupting. He's not as bad as Flex but damn that **** is annoying

While I listened to his new album I kept asking myself what is his role.

Most rappers have a persona and you know what to expect regarding their sound, subject matter, personality etc.
(J. Cole plays the average joe college guy role & you know he isn't gonna come out with an album full of Zaytoven beats)

I don't listen to him enough anymore to know the answer. What's his role / persona?

Yeah I think he kinda fell out his lane doing so much different stuff, his brand is kinda ambiguous now. I don't think he even knows his role anymore. Crazy thing to me is how much his audience and brand has flipped over these 10 years.

When he first popped on the scene the hipsters, blog writers etc LOVED the **** out of this _. Hell a bunch of dudes on here loved this _. They thought they discovered this humble "quirky" sneakerhead gogo dude from D.C. He dropped tapes rapping on **** like Justice, Gorillaz and Lily Allen instrumentals, used to have all these obscure sports references (think Action Bronson), etc. Then he signed to Mark Ronson and came with an album featuring Gucci, Gaga and Cole, as well as few of the poppin female soul singers and production from Ronson, David Sitek, 9th, Neptunes, etc.

I think his actual first major publication write up was in Fader of all places by Nick Catchdubs before he left to start Fools Gold Records :lol:

Swear, soon as the ink dried on that MMG deal tho they wanted nothing to do with bruh and he was this corny R&B type sellout _ all of a sudden :lol: :smh:

The MMG **** was cool, they were hot, it introduced him to a way bigger audience and he had a nice role as the "deep, introspective" dude who had **** for females amongst all these hard street rappers. He also had some big singles catch.

Now MMG has cooled down tremendously, he not a fresh "new" face, haven't had the big singles etc Add in the fact that he been ******** on "Williamsburg hipster writers" (his words) these past few years AND social media think he a corny emotional lame :x

Last edited:
It seemed like Wale was just trying to talk down on Ak and not acknowledge that his music isn't as hot anymore. Weird episode in all.

One of the funny things I found was Akademiks acting like he was "humbling" Wale. Because someone needs to tell him the truth.

But he recognizes he's corny, but why did he stay hidden for so long?

He was doing passive aggressive disses. Nobody wants to be you. :lol: Man I hate that the internet has made these dudes popular to the point they actually feel they're celebrities. It's the same way with sneaker youtubers, people line up to meet them and to get their autographs. When did it become cool for a man to discuss gossip?

Akademiks has a mind of a teenager, I have a hard time believing he's in his late 20's. Some of the stuff he says is corny. Meek's people are getting shot and killed. What adult, like real mature adult would want to be Meek? Because he smashed Nicki? You want to be someone because they're famous and have money? I think that's why Wale went out of his way to prove himself to him.

Ak isn't lying about people wanting to be Meek, everything you just listed are things that have been cool to young ****** from the hood for a long time. For those who are in the street out of the new rappers Meek has solidfied himself as that guy. Jeezy , 50 Cent, Jay- Z etc etc. the rich hiphop street ***** has always been one that a lot of younger hiphop fans have looked forward too.

That interview was trash.

Wale just rambling about nothing, Ak rambling about nothing, Joe screaming about nothing.

We done started calling pockets again. Who cares how much money Akademiks is making? He still wack dawg. N_ gotta stop that pocket watching stuff. For his generation, Wale spits. Period. If you can't understand that, then you're not a real rap fan. Just go ahead a say so.

that's the most misused term in hip hop

knowing where money is coming allows you to know much needed info

did you not know how much money you'd make at your job before you worked there? Are you pocket watching your job? Do you have to follow a doctor home to know doctors make good money?

it's known youtubers with lots of subscribers make money as well as twitch streamers and what do you know? He does both as well as receive donations

when you know where the money is coming from you know why certain moves are made

if you know doctors benefit from pushing scripts on patients then you know you need a 15th opinion, if you don't know that then you will proceed to be poisoned for the rest of your life

you can continue to not know where money comes from and I'll continue to study the game and try to implement it into what I do

Star was doing it for a check.

that's the thing, live twitch streams make lots of money with the right amount of subs

these youtube and twitch cats are mostly actors playing up certain perceptions and I know this cause they all use the same thumbnails, titles, voice tonality and content

It seemed like Wale was just trying to talk down on Ak and not acknowledge that his music isn't as hot anymore. Weird episode in all.
Pretty much. Came in there to punk him and couldn't get off his soap box and accept his presence is fading and instead of taking the blame he deflected it and basically said we don't get how great he is

Wale just rambling about nothing, Ak rambling about nothing, Joe screaming about nothing.
I really wish Joe would have had more control of the interview and got more questions in. Really spent the majority of it debating if Wale will admit people don't like him

Episode was cool. I don't like Logic so I'm a fan of them speaking about him. I liked them talking about Miley Cyrus but I wasn't rocking with Joe saying Bieber is black. Bieber is the same person as Miley, he ran away from blacks and now white people aren't mad at him so he's back to blacks. **** Bieber.

Pretty much. Came in there to punk him and couldn't get off his soap box and accept his presence is fading and instead of taking the blame he deflected it and basically said we don't get how great he is

I really wish Joe would have had more control of the interview and got more questions in. Really spent the majority of it debating if Wale will admit people don't like him
Agreed. When Joe jumped in and said 'don't nobody give a **** about what y'all talking about' I gave a standing ovation. Akademics and Wale spent like 40 mins talking about whether or not he's corny, and the credentials needed to call someone corny.

I think Joe would have made the interview decent, but it seemed like Wale was filibustering.
laugh.gif

Late but I think Wale should just stick to that "Rapper for R&B" image. He has smooth delivery and his lyrics are serviceable enough for coherent content.

Basically. 

Wale is the perfect example who someone who chooses to view the glass as half empty instead of half full. He can live off of being a musician for the rest of his life. He has a core fanbase that will support him. The problem is he...and many artists believe that they have to be a star the way Drake is a star in order to be considered successful. They're still chasing something they can't get to because there are a TON of variables that go into being "that guy" and it's not all music. 

"Sorry I'm not with the fkcn gimmicks
How you playing with a hitta for a fkcn image
I know every DJ, but this puzzzy Akademiks,
Chain hit the floor, and broke boys had a fkcn scrimmage"

Line was too cold :lol: :pimp:.

why did I press play on that :x what's wrong with that man voice. Son sound like a mentally challenged person

I agree, I think people will actually be burned out by Drake sooner or later. Wale has the perfect opportunity to fill in the R&B rapper void which Drake ditched and Fabolous retired from. Just appear on popular R&B artist songs(Bryson Tiller, The Weeknd, Miguel, etc.), have the occasion verse on a heavily featured song provided by his connections and give them with a smooth flow verse, and possibly do some dancehall hits with Major Lazer or some other producers/artists in that genre and with this formula he can stay relevant.

Last edited:
he think he's too good for that. He too deep
He doesn't have the charisma for people to even follow stand out verses from him.

And I'd like to add I actually prefer him over Big Sean overall.

Last edited:
I disagree. The MUSIC is there for him to be more than a rnb guy(even tho he really good at it). It's the extra **** that's hurts him

He doesn't have the charisma for people to even follow stand out verses from him.

And I'd like to add I actually prefer him over Big Sean overall.
He has it, before this nonchalant act I thought he was a cool dude and seemed to always carried himself with a smooth vibe but it looks like because he thinks he's being underlooked because he's not flexin' and flauntin' he'll never step out of his own shadow

Big Sean is becoming more and more annoying to me. Verses becoming less impressive

"Sorry I'm not with the fkcn gimmicks
How you playing with a hitta for a fkcn image
I know every DJ, but this puzzzy Akademiks,
Chain hit the floor, and broke boys had a fkcn scrimmage"

Line was too cold :lol: :pimp:.

I want to like son but every time I listen to him I think of that Fatz Hollywood **** Shy Glizzy joint :lol:

Shorty got some tracks though. "gotdamn gotdamn" :smokin

He has it, before this nonchalant act I thought he was a cool dude and seemed to always carried himself with a smooth vibe but it looks like because he thinks he's being underlooked because he's not flexin' and flauntin' he'll never step out of his own shadow

Big Sean is becoming more and more annoying to me. Verses becoming less impressive
I see, well I guess he doesn't exude charisma like he once did, I'll make it a point to listen to his mixtapes again.

Big Sean has regressed a bit but, it finally seems like he's trying again, it's just doesn't come off like it's naturally and I feel like his flow used to be better. He's not worst than Wiz though, that dude went from hungry/thorough to lazy/gimmicky. I thought Drake was bad until I compared the old wiz to the new wiz a few nights ago. That **** shocked me.

Back
Top Bottom