Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

It's funny because all my life I've heard Africans do this to black Americans.

My mom calls anyone not from Africa white. :lol:

"They're not really black"
"They're white people"
"They don't have a culture"

I heard Burns Boy say something similar recently.

If I think it's dumb when Nigerians do it, trust me I think it's dumb when Americans do it.

The lengths people go to defend that man.

This ain’t about Aubrey being biracial it’s about him having no identity and leeching on to Black American culture for fame.

Also gonna take a wild guess and say given where she’s from Kendrick’s wife probably ain’t half white :lol:
Thank you like got damn
Folks acting like dude doesn’t leach on to other artists
They should have caught on to that when he first came out dudes thought he was from Houston :lol: :lol: :lol:

The way he always moved seemed like social climbing
In Texas we call that busy body

I swear if you could market Phonte like Drake it would be him instead and I’ll gladly die in that hill
Becasue when it come to rapper who can also sing he is top tier and at least we would have to accept ****** having ghostwriters because of popularity

No you got it, that’s exactly what it is. Also, there’s the blackface picture. Which is just absolutely insane :lol:

It's a lot of evidence that shows he struggles with his identity. He was not around black people like that until Jas Prince flew him to Houston. Going to Memphis for a month over the summer don't mean you grew up around _'s.

This ain't just exclusive to Drake. Doja Cat is another one. She just started being around black folks when she started rapping. It's always been a thing where mixed black kids grew up confused, especially if they're around the white side more.

How can you cosplay black people when your black? How can you appropriate a culture your apart of? As far as him switching cadences and acting different depending on whose hes around...black people do that as well! Maybe cuz I work in corporate but I see it all the time.. I just think some of yall are being dense. But I guess im a Drake ********r so im done with the topic. Im back on the disses.
Code switching and what your (white) boy is doing are two different things, we went over that multiple times already.

If we're keeping it about the disses, what do you think about drake ones and his use of a.i (Sorry if you posted about it already)? Do you bump push up and giggle at the mention of Kendrick's feet?

As a European white person I'm probably missing something but I don't see Kendrick's criticism as him denying Drake's blackness.
Drake is the one who seems insecure about how 'black' he is. In one clip he's calling local black dialects ignorant etc, in the next clip he's cosplaying as those same people with an accent that he never naturally used anywhere.
You somehow get this :lol:

Finna get spooky

1714574752613.jpeg

Kendrick got folks tweeting easter eggs in a song like its a Marvel movie.

Thank you like got damn
Folks acting like dude doesn’t leach on to other artists
They should have caught on to that when he first came out dudes thought he was from Houston :lol: :lol: :lol:

The way he always moved seemed like social climbing
In Texas we call that busy body

I swear if you could market Phonte like Drake it would be him instead and I’ll gladly die in that hill
Becasue when it come to rapper who can also sing he is top tier and at least we would have to accept ****** having ghostwriters because of popularity

Lets make a list.

Quentin Miller, iLoveMackonnen,Blockboy JB, Smiley, PND, The Weeknd, Sexxy Red, Lil baby...... I'm probably missing some but Drake is the biggest wave hopper in the industry.

If a rapper gets a buzz the Canadian vulture is swooping in.

How can you cosplay black people when your black? How can you appropriate a culture your apart of? As far as him switching cadences and acting different depending on whose hes around...black people do that as well! Maybe cuz I work in corporate but I see it all the time.. I just think some of yall are being dense. But I guess im a Drake ********r so im done with the topic. Im back on the disses.
I assume we all change our cadences and words to some extent depending on the environment, especially if you work in a corporate job, but that's different from just putting on an entirely new accent.
Imagine something like a white UK person with a native London accent occasionally swapping to a Scottish accent. Is that not ridiculous? That Toronto patois accent is native to Drake's area, sure, but it's not native to him.

Burna Boy act like he from America too. Bro be talking about the diaspora while wearing Timbs.

where does Bruna Boy rank on your totem pole of blackness? Id love to know. :lol:

we know black Canadians don't count, so i really want to know if black Nigerians still count. :frown:

Doja Cat is another one. She just started being around black folks when she started rapping. It's always been a thing where mixed black kids grew up confused, especially if they're around the white side more.
I don't even view this as the same subject. Doja doesn't have the same stances and claims as drake/his fans. She just wanna be weird and successful and not comply to what she perceives as one monolithic definition of Black people as a whole (a watered down, gentrified version of a Rico Nasty type, if u will), he claims he the biggest ***** ever when not that long ago he had trouble even understanding the word and its meaning.

That's why Kendrick telling him he's not even qualified to use it is great, to me, and probably hurt him the most.

He had to come here and get haircuts and switch that corny accent. :lol:

Who goes to canada to be like you?
He even said it yesterday himself that Drake had to come here to steal the sauce to get put on :lol: …Won’t be no “#1 rapper” without him doing his American rapper Karaoke and cosplay…Wanna see how yo tries to spin his own words now

This criticism is funny to me. He obviously did this to appeal to americans.
and now he's criticized for shedding when he made it acceptable to americans.

anyone with brain understood that in 2009 americans were not accepting of rap music from other countries.
if you want to make it in american you better sound like and american.

More Life comes around he sheds it and goes with the more Toronto accent brings in the british rap artists.
saw tons of criticism at the time about how "i hate listening to british people rap"

now it's much more acceptable to be from UK or have different accents in rap music,
and the same american fans are criticizing him for dropping it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom