Rashard Lewis is the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

pau> yao

FALSE. Pau's very good, but he's not better than a HEALTHY Yao. 
Yao's as good a shooter and tougher around the basket on both ends of the floor.  Plus he's bigger, so even if all else is equal Yao wins.  Pau is better in transition, I'll give him that, but I wouldn't say by much. I think it's a case of out of sight out of mind, Yao can be downright dominate when he's healthy, the numbers don't lie, he's had some amazing stretches. It's just dudes haven't seen him play in almost 2 years so the memories start to fade...

Yao is incredible especially considering what he could've potentially been (Shawn Bradley/Manute Bol R.I.P)
His frame wasn't meant to plod down the court but he made it work well for at least 4 seasons before it started taking its toll on his legs.

Yao is incredible especially considering what he could've potentially been (Shawn Bradley/Manute Bol R.I.P)
His frame wasn't meant to plod down the court but he made it work well for at least 4 seasons before it started taking its toll on his legs.

I have no sympathy for these owners/GMs/teams whatsoever who hand out stupid contracts. A guy like Rashard Lewis was never close to being the best player in the league and yet you make him the 2nd highest player in the NBA?

I know that right now AK47's contract looks terrible but he has declined in recent years due to injury. When the Jazz gave him that contract he was putting up insane numbers and was one of the best defenders in the league. He was putting up close to 16 ppg 8 rpg 3 bpg 2 spg and his shooting percentages were good. He earned the contract they gave him. Criticizing his contract would be like criticizing KG's contract. Paying $19 mill/season for an aging player who doesnt put up great numbers anymore? Well at the time KG was one of the best players in the league and everyone thought he was well worth that kind of money.

Compare that to the contract the Magic gave Rashard Lewis. He was an all star, a great shooter and put up impressive numbers but he was never close to being the best in the league or a max-contract player. However they ended up giving him a contract that only maybe a dozen players in the league deserve.

I have no sympathy for these owners/GMs/teams whatsoever who hand out stupid contracts. A guy like Rashard Lewis was never close to being the best player in the league and yet you make him the 2nd highest player in the NBA?

I know that right now AK47's contract looks terrible but he has declined in recent years due to injury. When the Jazz gave him that contract he was putting up insane numbers and was one of the best defenders in the league. He was putting up close to 16 ppg 8 rpg 3 bpg 2 spg and his shooting percentages were good. He earned the contract they gave him. Criticizing his contract would be like criticizing KG's contract. Paying $19 mill/season for an aging player who doesnt put up great numbers anymore? Well at the time KG was one of the best players in the league and everyone thought he was well worth that kind of money.

Compare that to the contract the Magic gave Rashard Lewis. He was an all star, a great shooter and put up impressive numbers but he was never close to being the best in the league or a max-contract player. However they ended up giving him a contract that only maybe a dozen players in the league deserve.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

I dont consider Dwight a center but thats another story
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

One of the more idiotic things I've read on NT.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

I dont consider Dwight a center but thats another story
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

One of the more idiotic things I've read on NT.

i can't wait till Yao comes back this season to shut the doubters up. i'm prayin he stays healthy the entire season. when healthy, yao is hands down the best center in the league.

yao isn't a liability during crunch time like d12 is. would u really put dwight in the game with a minute left in the 4th? given he shoots less than 55% at the line, teams are just gonna foul him. only thing dwight has over yao is god given athleticism and hops, anything else yao > dwight.

i can't wait till Yao comes back this season to shut the doubters up. i'm prayin he stays healthy the entire season. when healthy, yao is hands down the best center in the league.

yao isn't a liability during crunch time like d12 is. would u really put dwight in the game with a minute left in the 4th? given he shoots less than 55% at the line, teams are just gonna foul him. only thing dwight has over yao is god given athleticism and hops, anything else yao > dwight.

Originally Posted by nitzski

pau> yao

Yao's as good a shooter and tougher around the basket on both ends of the floor.  Plus he's bigger, so even if all else is equal Yao wins.  Pau is better in transition, I'll give him that, but I wouldn't say by much. I think it's a case of out of sight out of mind, Yao can be downright dominate when he's healthy, the numbers don't lie, he's had some amazing stretches. It's just dudes haven't seen him play in almost 2 years so the memories start to fade...
Yao dominates because of his size over most centers its not because of his skillset, although he does have a decent inside game considering you average 8 or 9 inches and 90+ lbs over your competition skillset really isnt much of a factor. Same way shaq dominated inside in his beginning yrs over like ewing,robinson, etc. Was his skillset better heck no. Yao isnt a better passer. Man lol pau is far better then yao in transition because yao is maybe one of the slowest players in the league. Please dont say yao footwork is better... thats lol at best. As far as bball iq they both excell in that field.

To be honest yao reminds me alot of arvydas sabonis, thats the best comparison. When healthy its obvious he is the best center, but i mean thats by default seeing the pickings are slim. But as far as the best big man if you consider pf/c nah i dont think so. At the end of the day ill take d12 when you consider all factors.

pau> yao

Yao dominates because of his size over most centers its not because of his skillset, although he does have a decent inside game considering you average 8 or 9 inches and 90+ lbs over your competition skillset really isnt much of a factor. Same way shaq dominated inside in his beginning yrs over like ewing,robinson, etc. Was his skillset better heck no. Yao isnt a better passer. Man lol pau is far better then yao in transition because yao is maybe one of the slowest players in the league. Please dont say yao footwork is better... thats lol at best. As far as bball iq they both excell in that field.

To be honest yao reminds me alot of arvydas sabonis, thats the best comparison. When healthy its obvious he is the best center, but i mean thats by default seeing the pickings are slim. But as far as the best big man if you consider pf/c nah i dont think so. At the end of the day ill take d12 when you consider all factors.

only thing dwight has over yao is god given athleticism and hops, anything else yao > dwight.
How about the two most important aspects of the game? Dwight does those two things significantly better than Yao.

Perhaps that is why Dwight has dominated Yao in total win shares recently, even though he isn't the offensive "whatever" that Yao is - because his overall impact on a basketball court is noticeably higher, through and through.

only thing dwight has over yao is god given athleticism and hops, anything else yao > dwight.
How about the two most important aspects of the game? Dwight does those two things significantly better than Yao.

Perhaps that is why Dwight has dominated Yao in total win shares recently, even though he isn't the offensive "whatever" that Yao is - because his overall impact on a basketball court is noticeably higher, through and through.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

you must have not read the stats dude posted a few pages back.  yao owns dwight every single time they play.  i guarantee if you run the offense through howard and isolate him in the post every single possession the magic are guaranteed to lose.  the same can't be said with yao.

you must have not read the stats dude posted a few pages back.  yao owns dwight every single time they play.  i guarantee if you run the offense through howard and isolate him in the post every single possession the magic are guaranteed to lose.  the same can't be said with yao.

Originally Posted by NYH425

And YOU must have read the stats that I posted.  How can you guarantee that "fact"?  Not once this past regular season, has Dwight taken more than 20 FG attempts in a game, in fact, he's only taken 15 or more FG attempts 9 times the whole season, and they won the game 7 out of 9 times.  If I want to go at a lower number, when he's taken 14 or more shots a game, they've won 12 out of 18 times.  If you want to debate the quality and consistency of his offensive game... then that's one thing, but don't make up facts and guarantees without ANY facts behind it.

The fact is, when Dwight gets a lot of shots, the Magic win more games than they lose.  So the assumption that more shots from Dwight = an automatic loss is unfounded.

And YOU must have read the stats that I posted.  How can you guarantee that "fact"?  Not once this past regular season, has Dwight taken more than 20 FG attempts in a game, in fact, he's only taken 15 or more FG attempts 9 times the whole season, and they won the game 7 out of 9 times.  If I want to go at a lower number, when he's taken 14 or more shots a game, they've won 12 out of 18 times.  If you want to debate the quality and consistency of his offensive game... then that's one thing, but don't make up facts and guarantees without ANY facts behind it.

The fact is, when Dwight gets a lot of shots, the Magic win more games than they lose.  So the assumption that more shots from Dwight = an automatic loss is unfounded.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at using a 9-game sample size from January 2005 to April 2009 as a way to determine who's better right now.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
at using a 9-game sample size from January 2005 to April 2009 as a way to determine who's better right now.

Originally Posted by LDJ

I give props to Pau for doing a good enough job on Yao in the 2009 playoffs. Yao always has trouble against quicker players with length. But I see no point in comparing the two since Pau is the starting PF for the Lakers. Andrew Bynum maybe.

Yao's skillset is pretty good for a center. In regards to shooting of course. Not a terrific passer, but not horrible. Still a finesse player at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Kiddin Like Jason wrote:

Props to Dwight for getting 20 a game with limited shot attempts. Yao only has taken 3 more shot attempts per game in his career in comparison to Dwight. If Yao took 20 a game, he would likely get 30+ a game at least too.   

Originally Posted by JD617

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Might as well just bump the Yao vs Dwight thread from last year.

Originally Posted by LDJ

I give props to Pau for doing a good enough job on Yao in the 2009 playoffs. Yao always has trouble against quicker players with length. But I see no point in comparing the two since Pau is the starting PF for the Lakers. Andrew Bynum maybe.

Yao's skillset is pretty good for a center. In regards to shooting of course. Not a terrific passer, but not horrible. Still a finesse player at the end of the day.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Kiddin Like Jason wrote:

Props to Dwight for getting 20 a game with limited shot attempts. Yao only has taken 3 more shot attempts per game in his career in comparison to Dwight. If Yao took 20 a game, he would likely get 30+ a game at least too.   

Originally Posted by JD617

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Might as well just bump the Yao vs Dwight thread from last year.

Back
Top Bottom