Ray Donovan; new series on showtime

It's very rare that nt will like a tv wife. One of the exceptions is Claire from house of cards because she's down and loyal. She's also evil though.

Good point executive I forgot that she said that.

And for me, this has nothing to do with being a tv wife. That's bogus in real life

The rest of the season is going to be crazy, cant wait. As for abby the reason I dont like her is because shes started neglecting her kids to go mess around with the cop....now thats messed up

Abby just annoys the **** out of me. I really don't like these clueless *** wives that want to act brand new like they had no clue about their husbands job. Like everything is a retread of the Sopranos and not as good.

Like the show didn't start with them just moving to L.A. This has been Ray's job for a while now, most likely since the kids were toddlers.

Not to mention after experiencing my future wife Claire Underwood all of these other tv wives pale in comparison.

gotta give the actress her props although her character is basically exactly the same person as she was in brotherhood 
laugh.gif

if your character is a wife from boston, shes it

Last edited:
It's very rare that nt will like a tv wife. One of the exceptions is Claire from house of cards because she's down and loyal. She's also evil though.
Usually depends on the format of the show. When the husband is written as the main character, the writers usually write the wife to be a horrible person (Betty Draper, Skylar White, Abby Donovan, etc.)

Other shows where that's different the wife is great. Word to Kerri Russell's Elizabeth on The Americans is #2 for me and I was in complete agreement when she continued to cheat on her husband Phil. Plus there's Julianna Margulies as Alicia on The Good Wife who is also great and she was in the complete right for cheating, separating and w/e else she does to her husband :lol:

It all depends on the writing. Most of these writers are following this trend to make the wife this annoying shrew. I just won't like a female like that.

How is wanting your husband to be emotionally supportive and faithful being an annoying shrew? Yea, I understand Ray is the main character and we're supposed to like him because he's written to be an anti hero, but that doesn't mean we ignore his obvious shortcomings and how they effect those around him, in this case his wife.

An Abby doesn't have an issue with his work, she doesn't like that he puts it above his family and sometimes he brings it home, figuratively speaking. . That's a perfectly sensible complaint.

Last edited:
Great points, but at the end of the day, not taking any sides Ray couldn't even look at his wife. If you listen closely she tells the cop dude, " You do different stuff in bed" not just use her like *** dumpster and get one off and roll over back to sleep. Ray tries to fix things by buying things ( new home) and it is not working.

As for shawty. I couldn't stand him either but he did save the daughters life from either being killed or kidnapped. by drawing attention to him.

Good show so far, now looks like Ray gonna have to get them hands dirty….

Last edited:
The story is only getting more interesting. It will be odd to see him operate as a single man.

I saw that too Hand2Hand. I thought that would be what tanked his movie deal. No clue that him putting his hands on Allen like he did would kill his dreams.

Usually depends on the format of the show. When the husband is written as the main character, the writers usually write the wife to be a horrible person (Betty Draper, Skylar White, Abby Donovan, etc.)

Other shows where that's different the wife is great. Word to Kerri Russell's Elizabeth on The Americans is #2 for me and I was in complete agreement when she continued to cheat on her husband Phil. Plus there's Julianna Margulies as Alicia on The Good Wife who is also great and she was in the complete right for cheating, separating and w/e else she does to her husband
laugh.gif

It all depends on the writing. Most of these writers are following this trend to make the wife this annoying shrew. I just won't like a female like that.
The wives on those shows are the leads though so they're of course going to be written differently

unless they'd given Abby a completely different backstory it would be hard to portray a fish out of water housewife any different than they do Abby and have it be somewhat believable, same with the kids

Yeah, Keri is the co-lead actor of the show. I forgot that Robin Wright is the co-lead on her show too. I like shows better where the main character isn't married or has kids. Tired of the stupid marriage drama and the children causing problems.

How is wanting your husband to be emotionally supportive and faithful being an annoying shrew? Yea, I understand Ray is the main character and we're supposed to like him because he's written to be an anti hero, but that doesn't mean we ignore his obvious shortcomings and how they effect those around him, in this case his wife.

An Abby doesn't have an issue with his work, she doesn't like that he puts it above his family and sometimes he brings it home, figuratively speaking. . That's a perfectly sensible complaint.
It's the way she goes about it. That's annoying. It's like she can't understand Ray has issues. Real life issues, she keeps thinking this'll be fixed with a few therapist sessions and by playing dumb.

She definitely has an issue with his work. She complains about what he actually does all the time with her snide comments.

Ray obvious has faults but given with what he has to deal with on a daily basis, especially since Mickey came back I do not slight him more than certain others.

Other shows where that's different the wife is great. Word to Kerri Russell's Elizabeth on The Americans is #2 for me and I was in complete agreement when she continued to cheat on her husband Phil. Plus there's Julianna Margulies as Alicia on The Good Wife who is also great and she was in the complete right for cheating, separating and w/e else she does to her husband :lol:

The wives on those shows are the leads though so they're of course going to be written differently
unless they'd given Abby a completely different backstory it would be hard to portray a fish out of water housewife any different than they do Abby and have it be somewhat believable, same with the kids
Well then I go back to my love Claire Underwood.

She's not the lead, she's a supporting character in the main cast and she's outstanding. These other tv wives need to take notes.

I know what they're going for and if it wasn't for Ray's brothers, father and back story I wouldn't watch this show at all, it'd be half hr showtime comedy status. i wouldn't watch it.

The wive could've been done better or hell they could've went for a different type of wife.

I don't like her character and probably never will. It's way different than the way I grew to dislike Sky.

wow... didn't expect that at the end... i mean, i knew something was coming and i thought Cookie would kill Recon and leave Marvin alive
that's cool what he did at the end tho... with him distracting cookie like that.
can't believe she didn't want that house :rolleyes what a *****... :smh: she talmbout can't share his pain with her... WT F! he told her that he got molested and she goes right back around and tell him that when they have sex she feels like she's being raped... you ******* serious with that?!
i've got to say... she might be my most hated tv wife, she just NOW surpassed Lori from TWD(didn't think that was possible)

My man's Ray about to pop the trunk on Cookie and his crew. Btw does anyone know what the beef between Allen and Mickey comes from? Obviously they 're not cool with each other cause of Claudette but was it that bad?

This season Ray has met his match twice, once with Ed Cochran & now with Cookie. It's ironic that Ray is a fixer but can't fix ish with his family. The women in his life keep screwing things up monumentally. He told his wife from jump not to mess with his father & what happens?!?! She's the reason for Mickey coming out west bringing all that ish... & now he told his daughter not to mess with Marvin because of the dangerous company he keeps & guess what happens... The women in these types of shows always play negative stereo types.

Back
Top Bottom