Re-Retros Galore

newer retro's are made for the younger generations imo...for people who cant remember or dont know what a real OG or retro feels like..nike wants the "new" money from the new generations ...cause they know they will keep buying their fraudulent kix...it burns my sole when i go to youtube and see someone who claims to have a nice sneaker col. and all i see are new jordan boxes and beige nike boxes..no collection jus a bunch of new spit.

actually when the AJ 1, 2 and 3 got retroed in 1994, most people were not ready to like em.
I remember that the AJ 1 white/red-blacks sit so badly at our local Footlocker, that it went on
sale for 20 bucks! i was also not ready back then because i hated old-fashioned shoes back then.
It started to become interesting since 1999 when the AJ 4 got retroed in many original and retro+ styles
at a still good quality. First time the quality was significantly worse were the paintjobs on the AJ 6 in 2000.
After 2002, retros had not only inconsistent leather quality but also often alterations in material
and designs.
Now the leather is getting better since 2007 but for instance the oily look of the 2011 white/cement 3s
are just dumb. I also wonder why the heel paintjob of the upcoming blacjk/cement 3s are so glossy.

Jumpman cbt... I was the opposite when I saw the first Air Jordan series (not none of this team Jordan mess) hit the shelves the 1's, 2's and 3's I would lose my mind and snatch up the shoes.
I always Jordan Brand should go back to releasing one retro a year... This would allow for better quality and time to make the shoes like yester year!!! 

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by dtb00201

Can you blame them though? Mike hasn't played in almost a decade. These aren't the days when you watch mike play and go into your backyard and copy his moves. Plus, why play basketball in an outdated shoe? I'm not arguing with you about quality, because I agree, but I don't care if they bring out the finest leather ever made, these shoes just don't compare to what players wear today technology wise. There's no valid reason for wearing a retro Jordan for actual basketball, other than to stunt for people.

why doesn't da younger generation "stunt" this era's nikes though....because ya still jockin what us older heads established as dope.

without us olderheads basically TELLIN ya whats hot and whats not, ya wouldn't even know.
I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU MUCH BUT....

THIS.

BASICALLY ONLY REASON WHY YOUNGER GENERATION EVEN WEARS RETROS.

Can you blame them though? Mike hasn't played in almost a decade. These aren't the days when you watch mike play and go into your backyard and copy his moves. Plus, why play basketball in an outdated shoe? I'm not arguing with you about quality, because I agree, but I don't care if they bring out the finest leather ever made, these shoes just don't compare to what players wear today technology wise. There's no valid reason for wearing a retro Jordan for actual basketball, other than to stunt for people.

why doesn't da younger generation "stunt" this era's nikes though....because ya still jockin what us older heads established as dope.

without us olderheads basically TELLIN ya whats hot and whats not, ya wouldn't even know.
Word.....
"........Couldn't talk about it if you ain't lived it........" - Hov

Originally Posted by memphissfinest

I DON'T AGREE WITH YOU MUCH BUT....

THIS.

BASICALLY ONLY REASON WHY YOUNGER GENERATION EVEN WEARS RETROS.
Nothing to do with Mike 
grin.gif
 Or that the shoes are just fly? Older kicks were fresher. Just my opinion though. And as far as hooping in jays, I prefer hooping in some of the retros -12's , 9's, and 14's for example. Which all imo are better than my hyperdunks for hooping. 

Exactly. Stop a kid next time you're at the mall or shopping down town and ask him why he's wearing Jordans and he'll give you an answer like: "Cause they're dope." It's not about any of the original reasons we all wore the kicks. It's not about quality, iconic design, performance, or even comfort for that matter. It's about what's "hot" right now and other people's perceptions. That's what hurts me these days...

Elcerrito is right that a lot of people found out about Js through their brothers/music artists/seeing normal people wearing them. That's totally cool. But can you imagine what it would be like to find out from a "collector"? Who the heck wants to find out about Js through a "sneaker-head?" I can't possibly think of a worse way to come upon the magic of the brand. 

Here's how it would go down, and does go down at a mall near you"Oh yeah, so you like my kicks, huh? They're VVNDS...note the two Vs and not one...that means I wore them less than 5 five times so I can still get approximately 125% of retail for them on ebay. These won't retro for at least another 5 years, 2 months so I've got to keep them zip locked and freeze dried. Why don't I ever wear them? Why don't I ever WEAR THEM? Are you INSANE, kid?! These are Cool Grey IV's!!!"

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

23 stone-faces for "the game" and "sneaker-heads" spreading the hype virus to younger generations. THAT'S what bothers me about re-retros. 

Originally Posted by kingk777

Exactly. Stop a kid next time you're at the mall or shopping down town and ask him why he's wearing Jordans and he'll give you an answer like: "Cause they're dope." It's not about any of the original reasons we all wore the kicks. It's not about quality, iconic design, performance, or even comfort for that matter. It's about what's "hot" right now and other people's perceptions. That's what hurts me these days...

Elcerrito is right that a lot of people found out about Js through their brothers/music artists/seeing normal people wearing them. That's totally cool. But can you imagine what it would be like to find out from a "collector"? Who the heck wants to find out about Js through a "sneaker-head?" I can't possibly think of a worse way to come upon the magic of the brand. 

Here's how it would go down, and does go down at a mall near you"Oh yeah, so you like my kicks, huh? They're VVNDS...note the two Vs and not one...that means I wore them less than 5 five times so I can still get approximately 125% of retail for them on ebay. These won't retro for at least another 5 years, 2 months so I've got to keep them zip locked and freeze dried. Why don't I ever wear them? Why don't I ever WEAR THEM? Are you INSANE, kid?! These are Cool Grey IV's!!!"

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

23 stone-faces for "the game" and "sneaker-heads" spreading the hype virus to younger generations. THAT'S what bothers me about re-retros. 
Honestly, I think the average JB consumer still learns about the line from popular culture and not directly from collectors. That's how it was at my high school, they didn't care about the shoes' value or even if they kept the pair for longer than a year (they wore them quite often is what I'm saying).

laugh.gif
 that's funny because I liked the pairs of J's that I saw at footlocker and that my fellow grade school classmates wore back in the late 90's-early 00's.
I really respect the "olderheads," but yall didn't tell me jack about J's and I sure found out how nice most Air Jordans are without your help.

Very good post OP. This has been an interesting discussion.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Most first genr's like myself don't have time to stop random kids at malls, and give teach a crash course about the shoes that are on their feet.
Your right, it's not about not about quality, performance, or comfort these days.  You can blame JB itself for that, not the youngs. 
But it is about iconic design.  You have several Jordan models that after 20 years, still look better than half of the new tech that's on shelves today.  These kids don't have to have a masters degree in sneaker culture to know a great looking shoe when they see one.
Each time that I see kids in Jordans brings back all of the great memories of my childhood.  And the fact that I can put my daughters in a
pair...even better.

To the new gen,
Buy everything on shelves and keep JB going.  It's the only way that we OG's are going to have a chance to buy our grails a second, third, and fourth
time around.

Originally Posted by KMante

ninjahood wrote: 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
 that's funny because I liked the pairs of J's that I saw at footlocker and that my fellow grade school classmates wore back in the late 90's-early 00's.
I really respect the "olderheads," but yall didn't tell me jack about J's and I sure found out how nice most Air Jordans are without your help.

Very good post OP. This has been an interesting discussion.

Ima Jus Quote This An Call It A Day... Pretty Much Summed Up What I Had To Say In A Polite Manner...

I Dont Even Feel Like Goin Through This Today...
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

...que? You're delusional if you think you could have asked somebody in the mid 90s why they wear Jordans and got a difference answer than you would get today. They'd say the same thing back then they would say now: "Because they're hot", "Because they're Js", etc. You don't really expect me to believe that dudes rocking Js in the 90s were spouting stuff about "quality" and "iconic design" do you? Even performance? Cats were not shootin off at the mouth about how the patent leather on the XIs helped keep your foot in place. Come on.

Originally Posted by illadelALLDAY

...que? You're delusional if you think you could have asked somebody in the mid 90s why they wear Jordans and got a difference answer than you would get today. They'd say the same thing back then they would say now: "Because they're hot", "Because they're Js", etc. You don't really expect me to believe that dudes rocking Js in the 90s were spouting stuff about "quality" and "iconic design" do you? Even performance? Cats were not shootin off at the mouth about how the patent leather on the XIs helped keep your foot in place. Come on.
You're right we werent sayin that back then.  We wore them because of Mike........The reason we didn't talk about quality, because we didn't have to question it.  It was Jordan.  Pinnacle. Period. Now how many kids today would play in their CDP's and not have some kind of issue after a game?  Now ask the older cats if they wore theirs on the courts back then? Then do the math, cuz I wore the hell out of mine. Most of us want that basketball vibe back. Not this new movement geared towards going with skinny jeans. We want to know, we can throw these joints on and go play down at the courts. I want that Jesus Shuttlesworth/ Denzel Washington/ He Got Game vibe back...I don't mind the younger generation wearing a retro of the originals I had. Its the manner in which they do it. Terms, like VVVVVNDS or my personal favorite, OG Retro, get me every time.  What the hell is an OG retro? Either its an original or its a retro. You're #%$ is either new or worn......So you're right an older cat shouldn't get mad when the new jacks do what we did, because they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Originally Posted by devildoc76

You're right we werent sayin that back then.  We wore them because of Mike........The reason we didn't talk about quality, because we didn't have to question it.  It was Jordan.  Pinnacle. Period. Now how many kids today would play in their CDP's and not have some kind of issue after a game?  Now ask the older cats if they wore theirs on the courts back then? Then do the math, cuz I wore the hell out of mine. Most of us want that basketball vibe back. Not this new movement geared towards going with skinny jeans. We want to know, we can throw these joints on and go play down at the courts. I want that Jesus Shuttlesworth/ Denzel Washington/ He Got Game vibe back...I don't mind the younger generation wearing a retro of the originals I had. Its the manner in which they do it. Terms, like VVVVVNDS or my personal favorite, OG Retro, get me every time.  What the hell is an OG retro? Either its an original or its a retro. You're #%$ is either new or worn......So you're right an older cat shouldn't get mad when the new jacks do what we did, because they do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Devildoc summed it up PERFECTLY, guys. Props, man.
Illadel, you're right that dudes wouldn't have been spouting off about iconic design and using grand terms to describe their sneakers, but they WOULD have at the very least mentioned basketball...I'd say a good 8 or 9 out of 10 times. Perhaps that's because Jordan was still in the game, but there are still a whole fleet of NBA players rocking Jordans and PEs. I know that it's not quite the same, but you'd think people would think about the game when looking at a sneaker with a jumpman on it that's clearly holding a BASKETBALL of all things. That jumpman isn't holding a Blackberry, a Black Card, a Matching Fitted, or any other "baller" accessory with which "sneaker heads" create their "fit." It's holding a basketball. 

Devildoc's exactly right. It's about the basketball vibe. OG Retros and '09 Retros and the soon to be 3rd-gen retros and all of this garbage are slowly becoming what sneakers like Troops used to be about: strictly style. 

Again, like Devildoc said, we want to be able to play some ball in our Jordans...something that SHOULD be as obvious as the fact that peanut butter and jelly sandwich is created for the purpose of eating. However, the kicks aren't what they used to be in terms of performance. 

Is it a problem that I'll be worried about rocking Chicago X's, one of the most iconic shoes of all times, for ball because of the quality of the last "retro issue" of X's? 

It's a big problem...but if you're going to throw them on with some skinny jeans and a slim tee, then I guess it's fine. 

Is it so much to ask to be able to play ball in some basketball shoes?

You're right we werent sayin that back then.  We wore them because of Mike........The reason we didn't talk about quality, because we didn't have to question it.  It was Jordan.  Pinnacle. Period. .

/thread

thats like walking into a bentley not saying a word but $$ because you already know what kinda craftsmanship and quality that goes without saying...you use to be able to do da same with jordans...not anymore.

You're right we werent sayin that back then.  We wore them because of Mike........The reason we didn't talk about quality, because we didn't have to question it.  It was Jordan.  Pinnacle. Period. .

/thread

thats like walking into a bentley not saying a word but $$ because you already know what kinda craftsmanship and quality that goes without saying...you use to be able to do da same with jordans...not anymore.
That's what's up. 
Right there, guys. Right there.

Nailed it. 

Illadel, you're right that dudes wouldn't have been spouting off about iconic design and using grand terms to describe their sneakers, but they WOULD have at the very least mentioned basketball...I'd say a good 8 or 9 out of 10 times. Perhaps that's because Jordan was still in the game, but there are still a whole fleet of NBA players rocking Jordans and PEs. I know that it's not quite the same, but you'd think people would think about the game when looking at a sneaker with a jumpman on it that's clearly holding a BASKETBALL of all things. That jumpman isn't holding a Blackberry, a Black Card, a Matching Fitted, or any other "baller" accessory with which "sneaker heads" create their "fit." It's holding a basketball. 

Devildoc's exactly right. It's about the basketball vibe. OG Retros and '09 Retros and the soon to be 3rd-gen retros and all of this garbage are slowly becoming what sneakers like Troops used to be about: strictly style. 

Again, like Devildoc said, we want to be able to play some ball in our Jordans...something that SHOULD be as obvious as the fact that peanut butter and jelly sandwich is created for the purpose of eating. However, the kicks aren't what they used to be in terms of performance. 

Is it a problem that I'll be worried about rocking Chicago X's, one of the most iconic shoes of all times, for ball because of the quality of the last "retro issue" of X's? 

It's a big problem...but if you're going to throw them on with some skinny jeans and a slim tee, then I guess it's fine. 

So somehow the decline of JB quality is the new generation's fault? I'm sorry but this whole "hate the new generation" vibe is absurdly vindictive. Now while I do agree this generation is probably the biggest bunch of tools ever, to say those of you who were of age in the 90s were any different is laughable. Are skinny jeans and fitteds ******ed looking? Of course. Were baggy jeans and jerseys just as obnoxious? You bet.

I get it, those were your golden years, it makes sense. But to turn a blind eye to the ridiculousness of your generation isn't fair. Of course the quality of the product was better then! They were trying to make a name for themselves, they needed to put out a quality product in order to sell it. Common sense. Now that they have a market, you really think they're going to put the same amount of effort and money into the retroes? You gotta be kidding me! They're a BUSINESS. JB wants to make money, bottom line. Now, surely, since the old gen was so much better, you should've been able to figure that out. You can blame the hideous colorways on the new generation, but you can't blame the quality issues on them.

So somehow the decline of JB quality is the new generation's fault? I'm sorry but this whole "hate the new generation" vibe is absurdly vindictive. Now while I do agree this generation is probably the biggest bunch of tools ever, to say those of you who were of age in the 90s were any different is laughable. Are skinny jeans and fitteds ******ed looking? Of course. Were baggy jeans and jerseys just as obnoxious? You bet.

I get it, those were your golden years, it makes sense. But to turn a blind eye to the ridiculousness of your generation isn't fair. Of course the quality of the product was better then! They were trying to make a name for themselves, they needed to put out a quality product in order to sell it. Common sense. Now that they have a market, you really think they're going to put the same amount of effort and money into the retroes? You gotta be kidding me! They're a BUSINESS. JB wants to make money, bottom line. Now, surely, since the old gen was so much better, you should've been able to figure that out. You can blame the hideous colorways on the new generation, but you can't blame the quality issues on them.
sure you can, this generation buys whatever JB puts out thats why JB can get away with garbage CWs (as long as people buy from stores, stores will order from JB, and JB will continue to give us crap), and if this generation knew that quality was better they wouldn't buy....it's all about how informed the consumer is, which most of the current generation isn't, while we are. Another thing with the current generation is there are a lot of sheep who only buy what is cool, the majority are not thinking for themselves when they go out and buy a pair of Jordans. The popularity of the shoes back then is what led to the situation we are in now, so because collectors/ ball players though not intentionally, made the shoes "hot" and thus a status symbol,  the trend followers of this generation caught on and that is the reason why JB has a market that will take anything it gives them and treat it like it's the best shoe ever, they just don't know how good it used to be.

You can say the younger isn't responsible for the decline in quality. I agree, but it doesn't help when you're the ones flocking to scoop em up. Even if it isn't you per say, but what about you're peers? You're missing the whole point, these new Jordans are geared towards the youth, not the older heads who used them for ball. Back then you didn't find Jordans labeled as casual in the eastbay catalog, they were in the basketball section along with every other Nike. You guys grew up in the retro era, so of course you assume you got a handle on it. I was 10 when the 1's came out. I can't fault anyone for being born when they were, but dont talk like we're on the same plane when it comes to the evolution of JB.

You can say the younger isn't responsible for the decline in quality. I agree, but it doesn't help when you're the ones flocking to scoop em up. Even if it isn't you per say, but what about you're peers? You're missing the whole point, these new Jordans are geared towards the youth, not the older heads who used them for ball. Back then you didn't find Jordans labeled as casual in the eastbay catalog, they were in the basketball section along with every other Nike. You guys grew up in the retro era, so of course you assume you got a handle on it. I was 10 when the 1's came out. I can't fault anyone for being born when they were, but dont talk like we're on the same plane when it comes to the evolution of JB.
I'm saying that the current generation of Jordan buyers IS responsible for the decline in quality because they don't what "good" quality is and since Jordans are "cool" they'll buy the stuff JB is now offering them. The modern generation is to blame for the way JB has been doing things. The limited stuff is aimed at the collectors as a way of keeping us interested, but to me it isn't that much of an incentive without the quality for me to stick around buying stuff or even paying attention anymore. 

^I got you bro.... My response was actually to illadelALLDAY's post. I just didn't feel like quoting.

You know what, I can't even argue against that. I'm 23, so I'm just a tad bit older than JB target market. Old enough to see the older head's point of view...but also old enough to know when some of your views are skewed. You can't really say it's smart to market sneakers with 20 year old technology as a viable option to actually run ball in. And Retros are still under the basketball section on every site I've ever been on. Just as AM90s are still under the running section. But who is really gonna run in some 90s, when there's 2011s out. Same idea, your average ball player (regardless of age) is going to choose the something else to actually play ball in.

Back
Top Bottom