(Realtalk) How do you feel about some Public Schools NOT showing Obama's speech?

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

having done a quick (very quick) read through, in general i wouldnt have my kid (if i had one) hearing this speech but i do think that there are some things that could be either excluded or changed like parts of about some kids "not having" some of these "advantages" or not having "supportive" adults around us - kids shouldnt have to hear that kind of stuff

i can see why this speech is controversial, maybe im wrong but u sort of get the feeling reading it in your head that HE really put a lot of speech into this speech and wrote it himself (maybe im wrong)

but its definitely not your typical presidential-student address talking about "work hard, follow the rules, and good things will come" - nope, like someone said, its real
about education?

indifferent.gif

tree is right. hell, i was in ELEMENTARY school and we watched the OJ case. But its a big deal if the Pres talks to kids bout education?
eyes.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by Tetsujin23

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

If i had a kid in school, they'd be home today
curious... what in the speech do you find objectionable?
nerd.gif

Its not about finding something objectionable. The issue here has nothing to do with the content of the speech.
Personally I would let my kid watch the speech wether it be at home or at school, I voted for Obama. However, we must be able to respect everyone else who wishes to exercise their right to not have ther kids be subjected to this speech.

Not everyone is a democrat, and some of you have to realize that a white person that does not like Obama's political agenda is not automatically a racist.

What happens if McCain wouldve won? Im sure there would be a whole bunch of liberal democrats crying how they do not want their kids to watch that speech at school.

At the end of the day, Im sure that Obama's advisors are aware that any kid at school who is at least 14 years old is a potential vote during his next presidential run.
School shouldnt be a place for people to secretly push their political agenda.
  • How is that a matter of exercising one's rights?
  • Where does it state that it is a citizen's right to not have their kid watch this speech?
On that note, where does it state that kids MUST listen to "back to school" presidential speeches during school hours?
Its not like hes not being allowed to give the speech. Some people just choose to not have their kids watch their speech. For whatever reason it is, let thatrest on their conscience.

If you have kids all you could do is worry about your kids, and you decide if you want them to watch it. Us getting riled up because of those parents that donot want to have their kids watch it is a waste of energy. Let them worry about their kids.

having done a quick (very quick) read through, in general i wouldnt have my kid (if i had one) hearing this speech but i do think that there are some things that could be either excluded or changed like parts of about some kids "not having" some of these "advantages" or not having "supportive" adults around us - kids shouldnt have to hear that kind of stuff

i can see why this speech is controversial, maybe im wrong but u sort of get the feeling reading it in your head that HE really put a lot of speech into this speech and wrote it himself (maybe im wrong)

but its definitely not your typical presidential-student address talking about "work hard, follow the rules, and good things will come" - nope, like someone said, its real
about education?

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

go beyond his basic points, this speech is unlike any speech u could imagine any previous president giving - hes talking about kids needing to develop theirtalents, people striving off failure, how real success isnt easy but how its hard but rewarding, hes talking about how some kids might have to work harderbecause theyre at a disadvantage

yeah i realize that as a kid it might not be that different from how a previous president may have addressed students, but thats as a kid - as an adult, thedifference is obviously there which is why i can see why its contreversial

previous presidents would have probably talked about how "if everyone works (equally) hard, everyone can succeed" and all that stuff, you probablywould have never heard them mentioning these real examples of kids - thats somewhat political

Originally Posted by Derek916

posting so i can read more later onlty read half but

We need every single one of you to develop your talents, skills and intellect so you can help solve our most difficult problems. If you don't do that - if you quit on school - you're not just quitting on yourself, you're quitting on your country.

FACISM!!!!

You should have been in school today. It's not too late to learn to spell.

Originally Posted by ikari XD

I must have some sort of liberal bias, because after reading that transcript, I've concluded that the speech is solely about education and its relationship to the youth of today. I seriously read nothing in there that could be construed as a statement housing any sort of political agenda. Can somebody please let me know what I'm missing that's actually causing all of this controversy?

It's a well known fact that reality has a liberal bias.

2gxqn1u.jpg

tree is right. hell, i was in ELEMENTARY school and we watched the OJ case. But its a big deal if the Pres talks to kids bout education?
eyes.gif
smh.gif
to WHITE Conservatives it is because Obama is so radical and trying to destroy America by trying to provide healthcare for the uninsured andencouraging students to do well.
eyes.gif

I mean the media really has done a great job at dumbing down American society... Fox News especially... basic common sense and intellect is lost to politicalideology and narrowmindedness.

having done a quick (very quick) read through, in general i wouldnt have my kid (if i had one) hearing this speech but i do think that there are some things that could be either excluded or changed like parts of about some kids "not having" of these "advantages" or not having "supportive" adults around us - kids really dont need to hear that kind of stuff

i can see why this speech is controversial, maybe im wrong but u sort of get the feeling reading it in your head that HE really put a lot of thought into this speech and wrote it himself (maybe im wrong)

Kids don't really need to hear that kind of stuff? "Let's protect the children." Poor kids. They'll surely suffer and be scarred for lifeif they hear someone say something injected with some truth to it.

Telling them that there are people who go through adversities and manage to overcome their obstacles - yeah that's really going to do them harm.

Who do you think this speech is targetting? 3 Year olds or something? This is for upper primary and high school kids who have surely heard worse things thanone could imagine among their own schoolmates. Be real.

having done a quick (very quick) read through, in general i wouldnt have my kid (if i had one) hearing this speech but i do think that there are some things that could be either excluded or changed like parts of about some kids "not having" of these "advantages" or not having "supportive" adults around us - kids really dont need to hear that kind of stuff

i can see why this speech is controversial, maybe im wrong but u sort of get the feeling reading it in your head that HE really put a lot of thought into this speech and wrote it himself (maybe im wrong)

but its definitely not your typical presidential-student address talking about "work hard, follow the rules, and good things will come" which was probably not even written by a president - nope, like someone said, its real
i have to respectfully disagree with excluding those parts of the speech. there are plenty of kids who live in single parent households orsubstandard housing who turn away from education. they look up to other people around them making a quick buck the wrong way. i think him including that in hisspeech actually speaks out to them. the worse thing we can do for our kids is cover up reality.

at first when i heard obama was giving a back to school speech, i wondered too what he had on his agenda because i did not know that previous presidents didthe same thing. but upon reading his transcript and setting aside all politics, i dont see nothing wrong with encouraging our kids to work hard and stay inschool.

here is a commentary that i really enjoyed about the speech and the role of presidents in general: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/08/ruiz.obama.students/index.html

NostrandAve68 wrote:
Tetsujin23 wrote:
eyes.gif
smh.gif

to WHITE Conservatives it is because Obama is so radical and trying to destroy America by trying to provide healthcare for the uninsured and encouraging students to do well.
eyes.gif

I mean the media really has done a great job at dumbing down American society... Fox News especially... basic common sense and intellect is lost to political ideology and narrowmindedness

is the race card your only defence?

Originally Posted by thytkerjobs

Obama wants the kids to read his books before the speech (i haven't read his books, but im sure there are ideals in there), and he wants them to answer questions like "tell of another historic moment when the president spoke to the nation, and what was the impact?" I'm sorry, but whether it was Bush, Raegan, Clinton, Obama..whoever...that's a bit much.

what's the liberal take on this?? if there's nothing wrong with the actual speech...you guys honestly don't see a problem with this? This was takenoff of his classroom menu, btw.

TheHealthInspector wrote:

having done a quick (very quick) read through, in general i wouldnt have my kid (if i had one) hearing this speech but i do think that there are some things
that could be either excluded or changed like parts of about some kids "not having" some of these "advantages" or not having
"supportive" adults around us - kids shouldnt have to hear that kind of stuff

i can see why this speech is controversial, maybe im wrong but u sort of get the feeling reading it in your head that HE
really put a lot of speech into this speech and wrote it himself (maybe im wrong)

but its definitely not your typical presidential-student address talking about "work hard, follow the rules, and good things will come" - nope,
like someone said, its real
about education?

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

go beyond his basic points, this speech is unlike any speech u could imagine any previous president giving - hes talking about kids needing to develop their talents, people striving off failure, how real success isnt easy but how its hard but rewarding, hes talking about how some kids might have to work harder because theyre at a disadvantage

yeah i realize that as a kid it might not be that different from how a previous president may have addressed students, but thats as a kid - as an adult, the difference is obviously there which is why i can see why its contreversial

previous presidents would have probably talked about how "if everyone works (equally) hard, everyone can succeed" and all that stuff, you probably would have never heard them mentioning these real examples of kids - thats somewhat political

If being real is controversial, when will we as a society start to accept reality. There's nothing in that speech that is false or an exaggeration oftruths.
Success takes hard work. Not everyone is born on the same level with the same amount of resources. The sooner a kid realizes this and works to
offset this, the better that kid will be.

"If everyone works equally hard, everyone can succeed"
That may have been what presidents in the past would have said, but we all know that's only the beginning. Obama went into more details...he didn't
just gloss over the principle of education and tell everyone to work hard and all is well. That would be unfair to the kids IMO, misleading at best.

We need to stop being so anal about how things are said and how this speech is "controversial" and so on. Is it controversial because it mightactually
stir emotion to cause action? Because somebody might actually be inspired and act on those inspirations?

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Kids don't really need to hear that kind of stuff? "Let's protect the children." Poor kids. They'll surely suffer and be scarred for life if they hear someone say something injected with some truth to it.
Telling them that there are people who go through adversities and manage to overcome their obstacles - yeah that's really going to do them harm.
Who do you think this speech is targetting? 3 Year olds or something? This is for upper primary and high school kids who have surely heard worse things than one could imagine among their own schoolmates. Be real.

so its aimed at those age groups huh? so why are they showing it to these younger age groups then huh? its shown to all age groups but its really directed atyounger kids

who's more easily influenced? younger kids or kids who are ready to enter the real world? its younger kids and you know it, u really think "upperprimary and high school" kids care about this "your homework is your responsibility" or "you can be a goood writer" business?

im not saying that telling kids about disadvantages or about unsupportive parents will scar them for life but its something that they might not completelyunderstand yet, especially at young ages - go do that at your local elementary school grades 1 and 2 - see how well that goes

i guess the difference between u and me is i see it aimed at kids, u see it aimed at teenagers

Originally Posted by AG 47

If being real is controversial, when will we as a society start to accept reality. There's nothing in that speech that is false or an exaggeration of truths.
Success takes hard work. Not everyone is born on the same level with the same amount of resources. The sooner a kid realizes this and works to
offset this, the better that kid will be.

this is what im talking about, go to your local elementary school and be completely real with them, theres a reason why our teachers werent completely realwith us, other adults may have been real with some of us but not teachers or even someone like the president, u wanna be real with kids - go to an elementaryschool and tell them that "the reality is that some of u arent going to college, some of u will barely graduate" - being real is whats up right?

that kind of stuff may be good for upper level kids but not the young kids, they wont get it yet

--- what im trying to say is that he shouldnt be showing all the students the same speech, some kids arent ready for "whats real" - thats more of ateenage thing, they know whats real

On that note, where does it state that kids MUST listen to "back to school" presidential speeches during school hours?
Its not like hes not being allowed to give the speech. Some people just choose to not have their kids watch their speech. For whatever reason it is, let that rest on their conscience.

If you have kids all you could do is worry about your kids, and you decide if you want them to watch it. Us getting riled up because of those parents that do not want to have their kids watch it is a waste of energy. Let them worry about their kids.
Aside from being a motivational opportunity, it's also an educational one. If the speech is a back to school speech during school hours, theyshould view it in an environment where it's meant to be transmitted - in school. Does that not make sense or should they watch it in between some BET showand MTV's Real World if they feel like it?

You're being a neglectful parent if you're depriving your children of going to school first of all.

Second of all, as was mentioned earlier, if you're sending your child to public school, you really don't have the option of picking and choosing whichdays to send them to school and which days to keep them at home based on what is being taught that particular day. If you want to do that you home teach yourkids or ante up the money to send them to private school, where the rules tend to be even more rigid.

For anyone to say the lack of Public schools failed to show the speech of President Obama's is racist/biased is the biggest line of BS. All this crap getsso out of line.

^so you're saying every speech by the Pres is a secret puch to push their agenda?
^No, but we'd be lying of we didnt admit it would leave a lasting effect on a very impressionable youth.
sure... but so do a lot of other things... such as the OJ simpson verdict.. the Challenger Shuttle space launch... pretty sure there was nohullabaloo about schools showing those events in school

Time and a place. School hours in school is not the time or the place.
Do you really think though that most kids would remember the message or the fact that pres Obama gave it?

To those that don't think the speech should be shown, would you let your kids watch HBO and Cinemax? Do you let them play Grand
Theft Auto?

I'm just saying, it doesn't make much sense if you're letting your kids watch Jerry Springer and Maury(You are NOT the Father), but don't wantthem to watch a speech about education.

i guess my question will remain unanswered...

whats your question

Obama wants the kids to read his books before the speech (i haven't read his books, but im sure there are ideals in there), and he wants them to answer questions like "tell of another historic moment when the president spoke to the nation, and what was the impact?" I'm sorry, but whether it was Bush, Raegan, Clinton, Obama..whoever...that's a bit much.

what's the liberal take on this?? if there's nothing wrong with the actual speech...you guys honestly don't see a problem with this? This was takenoff of his classroom menu, btw.

^so you're saying every speech by the Pres is a secret puch to push their agenda?
^No, but we'd be lying of we didnt admit it would leave a lasting effect on a very impressionable youth.
sure... but so do a lot of other things... such as the OJ simpson verdict.. the Challenger Shuttle space launch... pretty sure there was no hullabaloo about schools showing those events in school

Time and a place. School hours in school is not the time or the place.
Do you really think though that most kids would remember the message or the fact that pres Obama gave it?

Looking back, i can't believe they turned on the tv and let us FOURTH GRADERS watch a verdict for a murder trial.

don't see what the big fuss is about, its a real straight forward speech. my parents are old fashion so most of the points obama has made i've alreadyheard numerous times by my own parents.

Back
Top Bottom