Reddit > NT General Vol. Yeah, I said it.

Originally Posted by nick0lis

anybody else go on digg.com ?
nerd.gif
Yup. Hit up Reddit every once in a while too. Can't do NT General/Digg/Reddit all the time though because you end up seeing the same thing.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by WALTER MERCADO

Reddit is like Digg for b-listers and Digg is god awful so what does that make Reddit?
Digg is the McDonald's of news aggregation websites. It's also not a modifiable as Reddit is.

Reddit isn't a forum.  It's a news aggregation website.  And it's content is driven by the users, much like it is on NikeTalk.

Imagine a modifiable NikeTalk platform that would take the most popular threads from each forum you frequent and placing it on the same page. Reddit is the same way, but with tons more content with a larger, more intelligent (in the topic/subreddit forum they belong to) user base. And popularity isn't determined by how many people comment on a thread.  It's determined by a voting system where you can "up vote" if you like, and "down vote" if you don't like (just like Digg).   

You don't like how a particular sub-reddit is? You can make your own with it's own rules.

The format does take a while to get used to, I get that.  And I was a Digg user before I was a Reddit user. But format isn't anything. Functionality is, at least to me.

How much are they  paying you?

Reddit is like Digg for b-listers and Digg is god awful so what does that make Reddit?
Digg is the McDonald's of news aggregation websites. It's also not a modifiable as Reddit is.

Reddit isn't a forum.  It's a news aggregation website.  And it's content is driven by the users, much like it is on NikeTalk.

Imagine a modifiable NikeTalk platform that would take the most popular threads from each forum you frequent and placing it on the same page. Reddit is the same way, but with tons more content with a larger, more intelligent (in the topic/subreddit forum they belong to) user base. And popularity isn't determined by how many people comment on a thread.  It's determined by a voting system where you can "up vote" if you like, and "down vote" if you don't like (just like Digg).   

You don't like how a particular sub-reddit is? You can make your own with it's own rules.

The format does take a while to get used to, I get that.  And I was a Digg user before I was a Reddit user. But format isn't anything. Functionality is, at least to me.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

The checks have been comparable to my NikeTalk checks lately.

Between:

The site hardly ever working correctly, or at all, for the last 2 years.
The awful, unfunny high schoolish humor and clique'ness mentality of most posters who joined post '05
The lack of posting by almost all who made this place funny back in the day
Terrible sense of community and goodwill towards other members
And the extreme lateness this place suffers from on nearly everything

I find almost no reason to continue checking in here the last 6 months. If not for the charity we donate and few people i still consider friends here, i wouldn't be disappointed to see this place torn down entirely. It's amazing the way other places operate by comparison - this truly is like junior high school by comparison, which sucks because I used to hold it up higher than everywhere else for the complete opposite reasons of the ones I listed above... but at some point this place got overrun by immature individuals who infected the entire board, and apparently it spread to the servers more recently.

I pity most of the mods who have had to watch the deterioration - people used to always claim this place wasn't the same years ago, and many of us told them it was just the same. But there's nobody who can tell me this place is like it was 7 or 8 years ago, and the only change that's been for the good is the charity money. I guess if that's the cost of making that happen, it's been worth it. Shame though about what was lost here.

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

Between:

The awful, unfunny high schoolish humor and clique'ness mentality of most posters who joined post '05

I find almost no reason to continue checking in here the last 6 months. If not for the charity we donate and few people i still consider friends here, i wouldn't be disappointed to see this place torn down entirely. It's amazing the way other places operate by comparison - this truly is like junior high school by comparison, which sucks because I used to hold it up higher than everywhere else for the complete opposite reasons of the ones I listed above... but at some point this place got overrun by immature individuals who infected the entire board, and apparently it spread to the servers more recently.

I pity most of the mods who have had to watch the deterioration - people used to always claim this place wasn't the same years ago, and many of us told them it was just the same. But there's nobody who can tell me this place is like it was 7 or 8 years ago, and the only change that's been for the good is the charity money. I guess if that's the cost of making that happen, it's been worth it. Shame though about what was lost here.
I think we just grew out of it.  For the younger guys, this is still the kind of place they want to be, and I can totally dig that. 

But as I've gotten older, I've done less BSing online, and places like Reddit, Digg, and Slashdot give me all I want from an information/entertainment perspective in a more efficient manner.  Fake or BS articles are called out on Reddit and Digg almost immediately.  Duplicate/old/late posts are down-voted and buried faster. 

I still think NikeTalk is the place to be for your sneaker related information and interacting with fellow sneakerheads.  That still hasn't changed. I was just saying with this post that NikeTalk General Forum is obsolete to me now, outside of interacting with the group of guys and gals that have been around for a while.

If you find NikeTalk sufficient for your needs, that's fine.  I was just looking for fellow Redditors.

Between:

I think we just grew out of it.  For the younger guys, this is still the kind of place they want to be, and I can totally dig that. 

But as I've gotten older, I've done less BSing online, and places like Reddit, Digg, and Slashdot give me all I want from an information/entertainment perspective in a more efficient manner.  Fake or BS articles are called out on Reddit and Digg almost immediately.  Duplicate/old/late posts are down-voted and buried faster. 

I still think NikeTalk is the place to be for your sneaker related information and interacting with fellow sneakerheads.  That still hasn't changed. I was just saying with this post that NikeTalk General Forum is obsolete to me now, outside of interacting with the group of guys and gals that have been around for a while.

If you find NikeTalk sufficient for your needs, that's fine.  I was just looking for fellow Redditors.

I'm sure that's some of it.  But I'm a member of several other forums and all of which still entertain me daily - like, seriously laughing out loud, or deep thought interesting type of conversation... just more mature, varied viewpoints on nearly everything.  And the goodwill these places have in comparison.  I know NT does a great deal of charity that other places don't, but just between members... I can think of like 2 things that anybody ever did for me out of the goodness of their heart here, without me really even asking.   These other places, despite having it's fair share of jerks and trolls, are just filled with people who are willing to help you out at every turn.. and in turn, it makes me and anyone else who's been helped willing to do whatever they can to help also.

It was just so odd to me when I branched out from here about 5 years back, and now i can't believe this place hasn't moved forward in those ways.  It's like however old you get, the age of NT seems to be getting younger at the same speed.  There's no more muscle or khlav - although muscle is all about OT also.  Nobody here makes me laugh, yet everybody here seems to be laughing at things all the time.  I guess I'm just finding nothing to relate to here anymore.

That compounded with the other stuff... the servers here, are just unacceptable.  I know this isn't news, but I take weeks off at a time here expecting to come back and it will finally be fixed... and it's been years, still the same issues.  I don't get how long it's going to take at this point, I know of no other site on the internet with this type of constant struggle just staying up in the year 2010.

The question becomes... outside of talking about shoes, what reason do you have for still coming here?  I want to have a reason to stay apart of this community outside of that, but you bring up good points of your own... there are better places to go for everything except shoes.  And I stopped caring about shoes as my primary reason for being here about 9 years ago
laugh.gif

General used to be THE place to go for me... what happened?
ohwell.gif

It was just so odd to me when I branched out from here about 5 years back, and now i can't believe this place hasn't moved forward in those ways.  It's like however old you get, the age of NT seems to be getting younger at the same speed.  There's no more muscle or khlav - although muscle is all about OT also.  Nobody here makes me laugh, yet everybody here seems to be laughing at things all the time.  I guess I'm just finding nothing to relate to here anymore.
You hit the nail right on the head with this.  I've always felt this way, but never really articulated it.

Back
Top Bottom