Remember the whole "Next Kobe & Shaq" idea a few years ago?

tmac608.jpg

Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images

[h1]The Daily Dose: Houston grows weary of waiting on T-Mac[/h1]
By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Jan 13 2009 6:55PM

A lot of times, one win is all you need to forget your troubles in the NBA. Two and you're rolling. Three, and it's, "Who dares to play us in the first round?"

advertisement_160.gif

But there are also times when a win streak is only a mirage, wet soap covering up hidden ugliness inside the window.

This is Houston. And, yes, they have a problem. (God, I hate using that old, tired, trite saying. Please, help me come up with another one. Like, "Houston, why didn't they base a high-ratings series on your town?" Or, "Houston, what do you do with the Astrodome these days?" Anything new would be greatly appreciated.)

The Rockets' recent uptick in play may have camouflaged their issues to those who aren't paying attention. But a season that began with such promise in the 713 is rapidly deteriorating. You get a gold star if you suspect Tracy McGrady is at the center of it all.

After limping and gimping around on his left knee through December, McGrady was put on a two- to three-week rehab assignment on Monday to improve his conditioning. "Conditioning" was the word the team used, deliberately so.

Now, in sports, you can be conditioning to rehabilitate a surgically-repaired part -- like, "Gilbert Arenas is still conditioning his knee." Or, there's conditioning when you're not in shape -- like, "David Aldridge is conditioning, and we hope he'll be able to finish the mile-and-a-half run sometime in the next decade."

So, which is it with McGrady?

"He's conditioning," Rockets GM Daryl Morey said Tuesday. "Tracy said it himself. He wants to do his off-season conditioning program. So that's what he's doing."

That's great. Except ... it's not the offseason.

"He couldn't do it in the offseason because of the (knee) surgery," Morey said.

If this were someone else, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. But it's McGrady, who disclosed on the Rockets' media day, four months after his May knee surgery, that the knee was about "75, 80 percent," and also said he would probably need shoulder surgery after the '08-09 season was over, despite having had that cleaned out in the offseason, too.

Hence, no offseason conditioning program.

The Rockets are putting a positive spin on this, but Waiting for Tracy is a play that nobody in Houston wants to see anymore -- up to and including the big man, Yao Ming.

"They don't speak," an extremely plugged-in person tells me. "And Yao wants him out."

That's not likely this season, as McGrady's $20.3 million is toxic to too many teams' luxury tax plans. Next summer, though, when McGrady will have an expiring, $22.4 million contract, teams may well circle the Rockets looking to make a deal.

It's not personal between Yao and McGrady. They like one another. But Yao's frustration is real. And Yao is not the only person that's grown tired of McGrady's self-diagnosis, his up-to-the-last-minute decisions on whether he'll play or not. This isn't questioning his toughness; McGrady took a bunch of pain-killing shots just to get through the first round of the playoffs. And it's unfair of anyone to judge McGrady on his ability to play well in pain; some can, some can't. Ron Artest wanted to keep playing on what the team is now calling a "stress reaction" in his ankle after gutting it out for a month, but he's been shut down for a week to 10 days.

And it's not McGrady's fault that Artest is hurt, just as Shane Battier has been hurt most of the season, or that these Rockets -- who were so resilient last season in winning 22 straight without Yao for a good chunk of that streak -- haven't shown much of that resolve.

But the sad irony is that McGrady has become Grant Hill, his former Orlando teammate who suffered through injury after injury after signing a huge, $93 million contract -- a physical deterioration that wore on McGrady's nerves as one Magic season after another was torched because of another Hill operation.

One veteran scout who worked a Rockets game recently was shocked by the deterioration in the still-29-year-old McGrady's game.

"I thought to myself, 'My God, he's old,'" the scout said. "It was amazing."

You need to know who you can count on, and the Rockets have no idea if they can count on McGrady anymore. When Coach Rick Adelman pointed out the elephant in the room late last week, the team had to act.

"The in-and-out was affecting the team," Morey said. "Rick wanted to put a definitive plan in place."

Morey allowed that there's "a lot of frustration" concerning McGrady.

"Everyone wants him to be where we know what he is capable of doing," Morey said. "I mean, he basically kept us in the Utah series (last year) ... both he and Ron were trying to fight their way through, probably coming back before they should. We were OK with that (before) because the doctors said they couldn't hurt it any more, which is still the case."

In the meantime, there's still a season going on, and the Rockets, seventh in the West entering play Tuesday, still have a role to play. Maybe McGrady still does, too, if his knee comes around. During training camp, McGrady said his doctors put full recovery from the May surgery at six months, which should have had him full strength in December. Maybe three weeks of offseason conditioning are what McGrady needs.

If not ...

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Morey said.

That is exactly what Portland president Larry Miller said Friday about what the Blazers would do if any other team signed Darius Miles, putting his $18 million salary back on Portland's books after it threatened to sue any club that brought Miles in.

We're still waiting to see what Portland will do.

And Houston still waits on McGrady.

Always, Houston waits.

laugh.gif
This forum was on fire when that trade wasmade...guaranteed championships and the whole MO

I don't think that Tracy being a walking curse was factored into this.

Now, in sports, you can be conditioning to rehabilitate a surgically-repaired part -- like, "Gilbert Arenas is still conditioning his knee."
laugh.gif

This forum was on fire when that trade was made...guaranteed championships and the whole MO
I can't blame anyone for having them in the talks of winning a championship. Yao was close to being a 20 and 10 center the previous season andT-Mac was in his prime. If a solid center is complemented with the best player in the league, my expectations would be high as well...the way they were highfor this team.
"They don't speak," an extremely plugged-in person tells me. "And Yao wants him out."
I hate anonymous sources. Yao is the best player on the team and I can't blame him if he really does want T-Mac out. As for the Grant Hillcomparison, it's not that bad.

inmymind getting his double J on with the topics this AM
laugh.gif

i remember that trade and how all the rocket fans was saying guaranteed championships. now half them fools dont even post anymore
laugh.gif

ant no team going to win a champship with Mr.tin can man as there center piece

The next Kobe/Shaq except without the wins.
laugh.gif

Wonder if Houston would rather have Corey Maggette now.
wink.gif

i ask this question, if you were the Rockets GM. Would you not do that trade 10 out 10 times?

funny, some laker heads wanted to trade kobe for tmac and keep shaq back when shaq got traded.

imagine what the team would look like right now. would have been a disaster and shaq woulda demanded a trade after one year.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

i ask this question, if you were the Rockets GM. Would you not do that trade 10 out 10 times?

Sure we would, but that doesn't excuse Rocket fans from countin championships and plannin parade routes as reckless as they were. I think that was more ofwhat the OP was gettin at. Not sayin you personally were plannin parades, just a lotta the fans that were on this board at the time.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Sure we would, but that doesn't excuse Rocket fans from countin championships and plannin parade routes as reckless as they were. I think that was more of what the OP was gettin at. Not sayin you personally were plannin parades, just a lotta the fans that were on this board at the time.
what fan doesnt do that. i think its just a NT hate bandwagon that will not be stopped.
laugh.gif

I can't blame anyone for having them in the talks of winning a championship. Yao was close to being a 20 and 10 center the previous season and T-Mac was in his prime. If a solid center is complemented with the best player in the league, my expectations would be high as well...the way they were high for this team.

Pretty much.

The reason why Yao and T-Mac were the next 'Kobe and Shaq' was because we all saw what a dominant big man, and a dominant guard, did.

At the time, you'd be an idiot to downplay the trade, and act as if teaming up T-Mac (in his prime) and an emerging Yao wasn't going to be a force tobe reckoned with.

Now, the Rockets haven't had any playoff success whatsoever, but a Yao + T-Mac combo definitely works.

funny, some laker heads wanted to trade kobe for tmac and keep shaq back when shaq got traded.

imagine what the team would look like right now. would have been a disaster and shaq woulda demanded a trade after one year.
Co-sign.

i got into HEATED arguments with friends who said TMac was better than Kobe. Dudes used to slurp on him so hard..

When will Tracy stop using the same damn excuse over and over again? "I came back too soon" isn't gonna cut it anymore when you just had a minorsurgery to get rid of debris in his knee. And don't gimme that "everyone comes back from surgery differently" excuse because not because ofTracy's body, it's his damn determination. Dude is lazy as hell but has all the talent in the world. Dude is a waste of a talent.

i like how kobe let Von have a dunk on a fast break, but tracy did that once against the Raptors, and he is a bum that should retire....

T-Mac is ya example of wat happens when rail thin high schoolers dont go to college n let there bodys mature and grow strong slowly b4 hitting a 82 game plusmaybe playoff NBA schedule.

The guy is rail thin and hasnt really beefed up much at all and his body is pretty much already shot when was the last time he played a full season almost?back in Orlando is my guess.

I know these kids come from poor familys and need the money and cant turn down the NBA but this is wat happens if ya body is not ready not everybody is builtlike Lebron or Dwight look at JO now hes always injured and hes still pretty much rail thin and Jonathon Bender is an extreme case of this.

If College does one thing it prepares ya body at a slower pace for the rigures of the NBA u have a shorter season plus workouts and gym strength trainingwithout such a rediculous traveling schedule or the pressure of living up to your contract.

I know this is not true of everybody but I beleive in the case of T-Mac and JO there bodys are already done theyve clocked alot of NBA miles at a young age theone exception to this is Rashawd Lewis dude looks the same as when he was drafted n still goin strong.

Peace
Scottie

Sad, but Penny used to be favorite player then he turned out how he did..

Then T. Mac became my favorite well you see it.. SMH being a Magic fan sucks sometimes.

i was one of them people who thought the rockets were gonna win a championship no question when tmac got traded.. and thought so again when they picked upartest. but now....???

it must be tough bein a rockets fan..

The skills are still there for him to be a top 5 guy, but he is a gimp. He has always had a bad back and it has wrecked havoc on his entire body. Don'treally know what Yao's problem is, he's been out alot himself.

i like how kobe let Von have a dunk on a fast break, but tracy did that once against the Raptors, and he is a bum that should retire....

do you really want to go down this road?

Back
Top Bottom