Resume Question

If I had a job w/experience relevant to a new job I'm applying for but it was back in like 05 should I still put it on my resume?

As of now it's not on there because everything is in chronological order and there was no room for that job and keeping my resume at one page.

A lot of the jobs now are retail positions from college and are all pretty much the same experience wise so I really don't need all of them right? I just don't wan the time gaps to be questionable if I take a few out to add relevant experience.

Or should I just explain all tha in a cover letter?

Yeah, I would definitely put it on there if it's relevant experience. Also, I would put all your job experiences in reverse chronological order.

What kind of job are you applying for? retail experience (working at GAP, VS, or something) is totally irrelevant for the most part. Don't leave out any real jobs that are relevant to the one you are applying for. I'm pretty sure working at a retail store is considered a gap in time anyways, since it's not a "real" job.

I would definitely put it in there if it is relevant.
For the experience you took off the resume i would talk about it when they ask you about experience.

Add your most relevant jobs to the resume.

Use cover letter to explain gaps.

Get the interview
wink.gif

Originally Posted by gaseousfashion

Get the interview
wink.gif

'preciate it

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

What kind of job are you applying for? retail experience (working at GAP, VS, or something) is totally irrelevant for the most part. Don't leave out any real jobs that are relevant to the one you are applying for. I'm pretty sure working at a retail store is considered a gap in time anyways, since it's not a "real" job.

how is it not a real job? thousands of people work retail

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by gaseousfashion

Get the interview
wink.gif

'preciate it

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

how is it not a real job? thousands of people work retail

Didn't mean to offend you. What I'm saying is, if you're applying for a corporate job or something along those lines...whether or not you worked at a clothing store is totally irrelevant to them. The responsibilities you have at retail stores are all essentially the same. Put down one or two that you felt you had the biggest impact in...and explain any gaps in your cover letter. 
I don't think you benefit more by putting down 1 retail job...as compared to 4 retail jobs. All it shows is that you've worked retail jobs. I guess it'd be good if the job you're trying to get now requires a lot of that type of experience. 

What does your resume format look like? Is it the traditionally chrono theme? If so, u might want to change it up so that u can list your exp from all jobs at the top then follow w/ your three most recent gigs.

If you don't want to do that, create a cover letter for every job that is lookin for the exp from the gig you had back in '05 so they know you have the exp, it's just not listed on your resume

agree with moon

unless you were manager or assistant manager it is worthless to list more than one retail position if you are just selling or folding clothes

also do not just list your responsibilities but frame them in quantifiable terms

Originally Posted by office the

agree with moon

unless you were manager or assistant manager it is worthless to list more than one retail position if you are just selling or folding clothes

also do not just list your responsibilities but frame them in quantifiable terms

example?

moon i wasnt offended...just asking

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by office the

example?

nerd.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Example of responsibilities as quantifiable terms would be saying:

"Answered 100-150 phone calls and emails per day." vs. "Answered customer phone calls and emails."
"Provided $XX,000 worth of value per year based on sales/contracts." vs. "Responsible for sales/contracts."

It's providing a numerical or specific example of what you did, rather than providing a vague term. Those numbers also serve as talking points.

Can you put it on your cover letter?
If it's just relevant to that one job, that's what I would do

I have a resume question since Ive never sent or made one.

Im going to be sending it to a high end barbershop in Manhattan. I just got my barbers license less than a month ago and I dont have any work history with it.

My work history is a completely different field of work with zero relevance to cutting hair. ( NYC Carpenters Union the last 7 years. And worked as a baker in my fathers bagel store for 3yrs of Highschool )

I should still include that just to show that I was working/ have a work history right?

Originally Posted by Mercutio

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Example of responsibilities as quantifiable terms would be saying:

"Answered 100-150 phone calls and emails per day." vs. "Answered customer phone calls and emails."
"Provided $XX,000 worth of value per year based on sales/contracts." vs. "Responsible for sales/contracts."

It's providing a numerical or specific example of what you did, rather than providing a vague term. Those numbers also serve as talking points.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom