Retro SB's??

1,038
339
Joined Apr 29, 2008
Since its more then likely safe to say that the supremecy of the Nike SB's and the hype they once attained are almost dead.....How long does everyone thinkbefore Nike SB starts to retro its earlier models? Since Nike SB is realitively new model (I believe 2002) just how long is it neccasary before you can truelyhave a Retro and not just a mere "re-stock"??? I would kill for OG Zoo Yorks....and I wouldn't mind another pair of Unkles...I guess thispresents a larger question....If Nike SB does not look into retros...then what is next???? I think the former is more then likely especially with theGucci's planned for a winter release but only time will tell.....Whats everyone elses thoughts?
 
5,338
288
Joined Feb 27, 2008
I honestly don't see Nike SB reto-ing older colorways.

The hype may not be as huge as it once was, but it's FAR from dead.

As long as people are buying their products like they've been, they'll be okay.

Part of the hype behind SB's are their rarity. Take that away and they'll be less desirable.

I have noticed them taking cues from their older stuff, though. (I.E. Un-Futuras, J-Pack Trainers, Sea Crystal Mids, etc.)

BTW, the Gucci's that are supposed to come out this year aren't a retroed colorway, just a scrapped model now being released.

/rant.
 
1,356
12
Joined Sep 17, 2007
Ehhhh. I could go with out retroing SB's. It was a fun time but its over. The SB line use to be a lot more rebellious and supportive of independentmusic/art but now its just bright colors with no back-story or reason at all. I mean hod do you go from beer inspired CW's to the Quagmires or for thatfact a poorly executed ninja turtle dunk. Retroing these shoes will be a vain attempt at trying to re-live something that died a horrible death. Let it die.
 
1,038
339
Joined Apr 29, 2008
I understand the the Gucci's were never released to the public but there are quite a few B Grades and Samples that are floating around....The orginalproduct run was destroyed or sold off as B Grades in Nike Factory stores....This new releases of Gucci's, while technically being a "new run" ofproduction...looks similar to the orginals but in the form of a new production run, which is what I would consider a retro to be. I would almost consider NikeSB to be as relevant as Nike Sportswear (formally Nike Lifestyle) which 5 years ago was not the case.....SB's sitting on shelves.... this would be unheardof with the earlier models...So I guess the real question is has Nike SB fallen off because the products are not as fresh as before? Or has the hype monstersjust moved on??
 
17,786
696
Joined Mar 16, 2008
Why retro? SB's last forever

Retroing destroys the value of the older pairs. It would make owning an older pair worthless...
 
1,072
198
Joined Apr 3, 2002
There were rumors that they were going to like 3 years ago and it never happened.


With that said, I see it happening within the next 2.5 years.
 
1,553
386
Joined Oct 28, 2002
Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Why retro? SB's last forever

Retroing destroys the value of the older pairs. It would make owning an older pair worthless...
i want the shoes to own em and not to sell so it would be really great if sb plans to retro their old gems
 
2,864
61
Joined Jul 14, 2008
Originally Posted by Sprigan82

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Why retro? SB's last forever

Retroing destroys the value of the older pairs. It would make owning an older pair worthless...
i want the shoes to own em and not to sell so it would be really great if sb plans to retro their old gems
qft, i hate responses like that, "my tiff's aren't worth $600 anymore" is a stupid reason. they look identical, and the price orrarity should never change a shoe's real worth.
 
5,338
288
Joined Feb 27, 2008
Originally Posted by eeBS7eez

Originally Posted by Sprigan82

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Why retro? SB's last forever

Retroing destroys the value of the older pairs. It would make owning an older pair worthless...
i want the shoes to own em and not to sell so it would be really great if sb plans to retro their old gems
qft, i hate responses like that, "my tiff's aren't worth $600 anymore" is a stupid reason. they look identical, and the price or rarity should never change a shoe's real worth.
But it's not just resellers. The rarer the shoe, the more desirable it is. Nike SB will drop in popularity if their shoes get less "exclusive"(because so many hypebeasts buy them for that very reason), and that's not what NSB wants.
 
3,959
10
Joined Jun 14, 2007
Originally Posted by NuMba1KiCkrocka

Some dude on here actually has a pair of weiger retros.
Yup, I remember him making a thread. They came in the new blue box and they were dead on wieger's.
 
80
10
Joined Nov 21, 2005
The SB Line is far from Dead. Too many accounts depend on the value of Nike product to boost their sales and marketability. Many of you might not like thecolorways, but nike don't give 2 poop-turds what you think about their colorways. The product is a general sell out. How many of you with normal sized feetsee 6 month-old SB dunks, p-rods, tres, etc in your size @ your local accounts? We aren't talking about stock piles of SB's lingering on shelves.Therefore the Brand isn't going anywhere they have already designed a Janoski sig shoe, you think a brand signs new athletes with the intent of folding?No!

As for the retro themselves, let us not 4 get that most of the people that would want the retro are the people that missed out in years past. The SB linereally didn't gain a strong following until about 2003 (at the very earliest) Nike had a few hiccups with their initial launch of this line. It almostfailed before it even got off the ground. I don't care what any of you say, yeah u might remember the SB's being out, but someone claiming the line hadthe prestige prior to 2002 would be a falsehood of the utmost degree. You forget the aspect of Nostalgia no one was checking for SB's, the retro craze issimilar to the 80's Baby movement of the past few years w/ most of its participants being ppl born well into the 80's or even the 90's and simplypaying homage to an era they didn't participate in. The same mentality is there with most retro shoes, most people DIDN'T HAVE them and don't, sonaturally Nike would do well to retro some earlier releases such as the Paul Brown Highs or some series 1 joints before bringing it full-circle to the 4 and 5y/o Tiffany's or De Las...
 
1,038
339
Joined Apr 29, 2008
^^^ Well said...I dont think the brand is dead but the importance of the brand is solely dying...I think that Retro's or very good concepts are the onlything that could possibly revise the brand...The one thing I dont agree with is there ARE stockpiles of SB's everywhere...Online and in stores....The daysof hunting for SB's is over, unless they are older joints....I can direct you to 10 to 15 websites, all legitamate retailers, and not "consignmentshops like vintagekicks, that you can grab for retail anything from the past year.....Again Im not exactly sure when Jordan Brand started doing retro's butthere are quite a few SB that I passed on for one stupid reason or another....but I would love to get another opportunity to cop....
 
1,356
12
Joined Sep 17, 2007
5,795
1,192
Joined Oct 28, 2007
TheSwoosh wrote: [hr][/hr] SB's sit for months around Seattle and boutiques like Goods are diversifying their brands because SB's just are not what they use to be. I would also disagree with the notion no one was checking for SB's in 2002. Check the release's here: http://www.kicksonfire.com/nike-sb-skateboarding-releases/nike-sb-skateboarding-2002-releases/

2002 was great because most of the people who want these shoes now were wearing DC's, nothing wrong with that, but I'm sayin...
those are some great releases and highly sought after now, but that doesn't mean everyone was looking to buy when they first dropped.

As far as retroing them goes, history tells us they will retro....and apparently they already have with the Weigers....but who knows if they'll retroanymore. I see no problem with it. I buy to rock...not resell, so I'm good with the idea of everyone getting a chance to cop a pair they want for a decentprice. I wouldn't mind a pair of Calis or Jedis for retail.
 
80
10
Joined Nov 21, 2005
To rebutt that no one was checking for them, I stand corrected. The guys that check for SB's now are not the same customers that would have been checkingfor them then. In 2002 you were either a skater or a true sneakerhead looking for the new sh-----iskabob. In 2004, you mighta just caught wind of what Nike SBwas all about. By 2006, many of the guys checking for it are your trendy hipsters that will be humping the next "cool" thing that happens in thecoming months, weeks, hours, minutes, or years. Now? Every person 30 and under is familiar w/ Nike SB or streetwear in general. A true sneakerhead is not goingsleep on a dope release regardless of its allocation. After all, back in the 80's and 90's there was no such thing as a limited release as we know ittoday, but there were still sneakerheads back then, it was just less prevalent. The thing that made Nike SB so special was the fact that they kept it true tothe culture by only making it available in Skateshops. Your average run-of-the-mill ma and pops sneaker shop or hood store didnt have SB. So now you havestores and boutiques opening w/ the idea of acquiring a Nike SB account, so w/ more doors opening to keep up w/ Demand, there's gonna be a higher Volume ofProduct. You are absolutely right that there is probably a ton of product around, but dont forget that NIKE SB as a brand has expanded and opened itself up tomore doors than it ever has before.

Don't blame everything on the shoes themselves, blame it on a fickle customer base as well as a changing economic climate where people literally can'tafford to buy every single release especially when they're dropping 2 or 3 maybe 4 pairs a month back when there used to only be that ONE SB dunk High orLow once a month. When you've got 8 to choose from of course some are gonna get left on shelves...that's economics... The more product you offer, youcan cater to more customers, sure, but you also run the risk of creating inferior products or inferior marketing plans that you didn't worry about when youonly offered on choice for quality and style.
 
1,127
110
Joined Jul 11, 2005
to be honest... I'd like them to bring back some of their older models in retro dunk cw's.... like a tiff url, or a unkle prod 1... you get the idea
 
1,038
339
Joined Apr 29, 2008
Originally Posted by SickKickGAME23

To rebutt that no one was checking for them, I stand corrected. The guys that check for SB's now are not the same customers that would have been checking for them then. In 2002 you were either a skater or a true sneakerhead looking for the new sh-----iskabob. In 2004, you mighta just caught wind of what Nike SB was all about. By 2006, many of the guys checking for it are your trendy hipsters that will be humping the next "cool" thing that happens in the coming months, weeks, hours, minutes, or years. Now? Every person 30 and under is familiar w/ Nike SB or streetwear in general. A true sneakerhead is not going sleep on a dope release regardless of its allocation. After all, back in the 80's and 90's there was no such thing as a limited release as we know it today, but there were still sneakerheads back then, it was just less prevalent. The thing that made Nike SB so special was the fact that they kept it true to the culture by only making it available in Skateshops. Your average run-of-the-mill ma and pops sneaker shop or hood store didnt have SB. So now you have stores and boutiques opening w/ the idea of acquiring a Nike SB account, so w/ more doors opening to keep up w/ Demand, there's gonna be a higher Volume of Product. You are absolutely right that there is probably a ton of product around, but dont forget that NIKE SB as a brand has expanded and opened itself up to more doors than it ever has before.

Don't blame everything on the shoes themselves, blame it on a fickle customer base as well as a changing economic climate where people literally can't afford to buy every single release especially when they're dropping 2 or 3 maybe 4 pairs a month back when there used to only be that ONE SB dunk High or Low once a month. When you've got 8 to choose from of course some are gonna get left on shelves...that's economics... The more product you offer, you can cater to more customers, sure, but you also run the risk of creating inferior products or inferior marketing plans that you didn't worry about when you only offered on choice for quality and style.
With all that being said...the marketing plan will eventually spin toward Retro's as clearly the products value ( in this case hype) has begun todiminsh....Lets be honest, SB's were fresh because they were somewhat unobtainable...Now in my opinion that didnt make them copp'able but definitelylead to the freshness of the brand.....What made Nike SB copp'able was they tried different things that Lifestyle (now Nike Sportwear) shy'd awayfrom...Most GR Dunks, at the time, used difference color schemes but not developing themes or ideas....There would be a quick strike here and there(Futura's Stash etc) but no real "LINE" to think of which really stepped out of the boundaries....(a nod most given to Co.Jp) Now that otherlines of Nike have really stepped there game up, Nike SB is no longer seen has going against the grain to create newness or freshness....So with that beingsaid the only thing I can see happening is the line has to scale back production....which aint gonna happen because its IMPOSSIBLE to turn a ship once itsmoving...or begin a new marketing scheme to get cats interseted in the product again.....I still visit my local shop to check out new drops but find myselfpassing on most and only buying a few, once they go on sale, more then ever before.....Ill be honest I think Saturation will be the downfall of NikeSB....there are a number of new releases that I think are fresh but refuse to pay the premuim when I know there is SO MUCH product other there I can be patientand get for a steal...Case in point, just picked up those Lance Mountain Blazers for $40 in my local shop....one of the FRESHEST BLAZERS I OWN!!!!! Once upon atime you wouldn't hestitate to drop whatevers because you know if you walked out when you came back joints would be gone....
 

taggpoppernj

Banned
1,084
10
Joined Apr 4, 2008
Originally Posted by TheSwoosh

Ehhhh. I could go with out retroing SB's. It was a fun time but its over. The SB line use to be a lot more rebellious and supportive of independent music/art but now its just bright colors with no back-story or reason at all. I mean hod do you go from beer inspired CW's to the Quagmires or for that fact a poorly executed ninja turtle dunk. Retroing these shoes will be a vain attempt at trying to re-live something that died a horrible death. Let it die.

Amen..
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now