Retro SB's??

IMO Nike SB died after the release of the dooms(probably before that though) They need a jolt and retoring popular colorways might just be ticket. But itslike Jordans/Nike, OG's are always more sought after and Nike had proved that they kill the retro so Sb's heads this could make the value go up?

Originally Posted by Ayipapi

Originally Posted by SickKickGAME23

To rebutt that no one was checking for them, I stand corrected. The guys that check for SB's now are not the same customers that would have been checking for them then. In 2002 you were either a skater or a true sneakerhead looking for the new sh-----iskabob. In 2004, you mighta just caught wind of what Nike SB was all about. By 2006, many of the guys checking for it are your trendy hipsters that will be humping the next "cool" thing that happens in the coming months, weeks, hours, minutes, or years. Now? Every person 30 and under is familiar w/ Nike SB or streetwear in general. A true sneakerhead is not going sleep on a dope release regardless of its allocation. After all, back in the 80's and 90's there was no such thing as a limited release as we know it today, but there were still sneakerheads back then, it was just less prevalent. The thing that made Nike SB so special was the fact that they kept it true to the culture by only making it available in Skateshops. Your average run-of-the-mill ma and pops sneaker shop or hood store didnt have SB. So now you have stores and boutiques opening w/ the idea of acquiring a Nike SB account, so w/ more doors opening to keep up w/ Demand, there's gonna be a higher Volume of Product. You are absolutely right that there is probably a ton of product around, but dont forget that NIKE SB as a brand has expanded and opened itself up to more doors than it ever has before.

Don't blame everything on the shoes themselves, blame it on a fickle customer base as well as a changing economic climate where people literally can't afford to buy every single release especially when they're dropping 2 or 3 maybe 4 pairs a month back when there used to only be that ONE SB dunk High or Low once a month. When you've got 8 to choose from of course some are gonna get left on shelves...that's economics... The more product you offer, you can cater to more customers, sure, but you also run the risk of creating inferior products or inferior marketing plans that you didn't worry about when you only offered on choice for quality and style.

With all that being said...the marketing plan will eventually spin toward Retro's as clearly the products value ( in this case hype) has begun to diminsh....Lets be honest, SB's were fresh because they were somewhat unobtainable...Now in my opinion that didnt make them copp'able but definitely lead to the freshness of the brand.....What made Nike SB copp'able was they tried different things that Lifestyle (now Nike Sportwear) shy'd away from...Most GR Dunks, at the time, used difference color schemes but not developing themes or ideas....There would be a quick strike here and there (Futura's Stash etc) but no real "LINE" to think of which really stepped out of the boundaries....(a nod most given to Co.Jp) Now that other lines of Nike have really stepped there game up, Nike SB is no longer seen has going against the grain to create newness or freshness....So with that being said the only thing I can see happening is the line has to scale back production....which aint gonna happen because its IMPOSSIBLE to turn a ship once its moving...or begin a new marketing scheme to get cats interseted in the product again.....I still visit my local shop to check out new drops but find myself passing on most and only buying a few, once they go on sale, more then ever before.....Ill be honest I think Saturation will be the downfall of Nike SB....there are a number of new releases that I think are fresh but refuse to pay the premuim when I know there is SO MUCH product other there I can be patient and get for a steal...Case in point, just picked up those Lance Mountain Blazers for $40 in my local shop....one of the FRESHEST BLAZERS I OWN!!!!! Once upon a time you wouldn't hestitate to drop whatevers because you know if you walked out when you came back joints would be gone....
mad.gif

ppl got time on their hands

Originally Posted by dtb00201

i am all for it
agreed. I will gladly shellout $100 for some tiff retros than the asinine $500+(
smh.gif
) people are reselling them for

Originally Posted by Sprigan82

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

Why retro? SB's last forever

Retroing destroys the value of the older pairs. It would make owning an older pair worthless...
i want the shoes to own em and not to sell so it would be really great if sb plans to retro their old gems
QFT...i would really like to get some unkle highs, futuras, supremes, and tiffs for decent prices. although i don't see them dropping amassive amount for retail....they could do limited GR's for anywhere between $100-$200 retail.
Originally Posted by Air Kalo

Originally Posted by kickz4show

IMO Nike SB died after the release of the dooms
Truth.
tired.gif
as far as the "themed" SB's are concerned.....the dooms and peewee's were the last ones i liked a lot. however, the simple"non-themed" colorways have been decent. IE: the black/white dunk highs...

i've been saying this for a while, but i don't think it should happen.

if it did, Nike SB would start creating sneakers with jordan-like quality
sick.gif

I feel Dunk SB's in general (not just themed ones) fell off after the DOOM's.

I'm not saying I'm not a fan of the colorways that have dropped, some of them are dope.

But you can't deny that NSB has fallen off something fierce.

Those that don't wanna see them retroed...I don't understand...u buy kicks to wear them....many joints from 02 I wasn't able to scoop Iwouldn't mind scooping a retro of...then again knowing nike, the retro will be of lesser quality and probably some ridiculous changes/additions

I'm half and half with these

I want nike to retro SBs' so i could cop some pairs i slept on

and

I don't want them to retro it because it will decrease the RARITY on the kicks.

I wouldn't mind a retro... some i let go i miss and some i didn't have a chance to get, plus it would lower the resell price of the original's (ex.jordans retro usually lower the price of it's predecessor.) The reason nike sb is "dying" off is crap colorways, economy and now moving to flattongue, although i would/have rocked flat tongue dunks it is a bit difference and not as eye catching to me. The main culprit is the garbage releases!

Wow, this is one of the posts that i actually read, and agree with a lot of things said. I personally think SB fell off around the time the Eire's came outa few years ago. I don't really call up my SB shop too often because most of the stuff coming out now is wack, with a few exceptions (Unfuturas, NewCastles, Venom Highs) I wouldn't mind retros, and I feel sooner or later it may happen. Just as long as the retroed sneakers have good quality, Iwouldn't be upset. Sneakers are meant to be worn, and these to be skated, so let the people have what they want. I have seen what is coming out in the nearfuture, and that stuff is not appealing. so maybe if they stop making as much money, we'll get what we want. Kinda like people not buying the Jordan 2009,we get True Blue III's LOL

I don't see nike retroing any dunk sbs. When else has a dunk been retro other than the white/college colors?

Would it be profitable? Maybe. Maybe not. To be dead on honest, im sure that most of the kiddies buying new sb dunks don't even know what a pair of gino 1sor sharks looks like (let alone even know who Gino Ianucci or Danny Supa are). So honestly, nike can just as well put out new colors.

I'd rather they didnt retro any of the early series. They have sentimental value to me. I like the thought of wearing then knowing not a lot of pairs areleft. It has nothing to do with price. As someone said before, nostalgia has a lot to do with appeal. In 2002, I loved dunks, but I skated them and they weredisposable to me. So now thinking back to those days, i really miss the old SBs and get something out of finding a DS pair of the olds ones. If theyretro'd them, I wouldnt be the same feeling.

I don't think it would be a good idea. Like many people stated it would take away from the OG sneaks that came out in 2002-2005 era. Heinekens
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by OGfiend

I don't see nike retroing any dunk sbs. When else has a dunk been retro other than the white/college colors?

Would it be profitable? Maybe. Maybe not. To be dead on honest, im sure that most of the kiddies buying new sb dunks don't even know what a pair of gino 1s or sharks looks like (let alone even know who Gino Ianucci or Danny Supa are). So honestly, nike can just as well put out new colors.

I'd rather they didnt retro any of the early series. They have sentimental value to me. I like the thought of wearing then knowing not a lot of pairs are left. It has nothing to do with price. As someone said before, nostalgia has a lot to do with appeal. In 2002, I loved dunks, but I skated them and they were disposable to me. So now thinking back to those days, i really miss the old SBs and get something out of finding a DS pair of the olds ones. If they retro'd them, I wouldnt be the same feeling.
Great post...well said....But with that being said...In the same nostalgic light that a Jordan head has over some Infrared 6's.....I have thatsame feeling for some Futura P-Rods....As I posted before I had an opportunty to cop and didnt..so pissed...but sneakers are made to be worn and enjoyed sochoosing to not wish for a remake to protect the intergrity of the orginals would only be accepting that Im okay with not owning these or paying a stupid pricefor them......I passed on two pairs of Unkles (only got one pair..stupid) actually gave away my Melvins (DOH!!)...... Another chance at redemption would besooo fresh..But you made a great point which I really have to think about...I dont think there has ever been a dunk retro made...If SB choose to start doingretro's it would be a first for the dunk line...I think your right...

Back
Top Bottom