Return of the NikeTalk Fitted Cap. Help us decide our size distribution and order quantities!

What fitted cap size are you MOST interested in?

• 6 7/8

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 7 1/8

• 7 1/4

• 7 3/8

• 7 1/2

• 7 5/8

• 7 3/4

• 7 7/8

• I don't really want a hat, I just wanted to click something.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

This whole "senior priority" thing is a little lame. You miss it, you miss it. You cop, congratulations. :smh: at wanting a 6+ year old sign up date to grant you special privileges.

I don't care about whether you joined in 1999 or today. If you indicate your size in the poll, you are doing your part to make sure supply is there.

With that said...

There SHOULD be a way for the members who are voting in the poll, to have access to buy one hat before the general release. After all, we are the ones driving production numbers and saying we want to buy them.

Some of us have already missed out the first time, have been asking for another run, and now it's happening and we are voting in the poll for our size, even willing to pay for a pre-order and you're right, it's going to be "if you miss it, you miss it. you cop, congratulations" situation apparently. Which sucks, and honestly, I feel like more can be done to give some of us a fair shot.

I can't see who voted in the poll.  Voting gives you a direct benefit already.  Your vote is a request for us to produce more caps in your preferred size, and increase our overall order quantity, thus giving you a better shot at the end product.

Everyone having the same chance seems pretty fair to me - at least, compared to asking for special considerations for a select few. 

Join date > post count.

Ive had like 10 SN's and so have others so that complicates things. Ive been a poster since 06

1.  We're not going to create an arbitrary "cutoff" point for "haves" and "have nots," like X posts or Y years.  It's not fair and it's not practical.  According to some of these proposals, I couldn't sell a cap to Nelson C because he has less than 2,000 posts.  Suffice it to say, we're not going that route.  
2.  If we were, we wouldn't reward people who got themselves banned.  We'd reward people who followed the rules.  Ten bans isn't a badge of honor. 

If it's for charity, why not have everyone pledge a certain amount of money to for the charity and have that for a certain time period? Similar to the badge model we have when it comes to donations. That way you raise money you need and would have taken inventory of who participated and asked for their hat size? It works. It's non exclusive and you have to log in to contribute. That probably would have been the best idea. 

The reason the badges work as an incentive for our charity drives is because they're digital and require no cost on our end (save for the labor required).  With the caps, we're talking about substantial production and shipping expenses that we then couldn't recoup because all the funds were donated directly to charity.  

You can't do it as a Kickstarter campaign, because Kickstarter doesn't allow you to raise money for charity.  

Even if you do try some sort of crowdfunding, you're left with the preorder problem, and that's difficult to get around.

We've done this before.  Delays are always a legitimate possibility.  Then you have the potential for materials to go out of stock.  What happens if the cap you paid for six months ago ships with a grey underbrim instead of a green one, because we couldn't get green material?  Or the whole cap gets pushed back six months because they somehow ran out of black.  Then you have a much bigger problem on your hands than you would if, say, 50 people were unable to buy a cap this time around in a first come, first served scenario.

Remember, the world isn't scheduled to end in January.  The possibility exists that we can continue to produce caps in the future.  

Disappointment is possible no matter what.  The question is:  what's more responsible?  Disappointing someone who tried to buy a hat, but found them sold out, or disappointing someone who trusted you and paid six months in advance?  It's not reasonable to assume, "oh, if there's a major change or delay they'll be cool with it."

If we took your trust in us that liberally, we wouldn't deserve it.  

if you miss out just get at this dude and he will make you one :lol:
View media item 1081777View media item 1081778

It's flattering to see that someone's created a counterfeit version of our product.  That's a new one for me.  

I can't say I approve, but it's certainly a novel experience. 
[thread="600697"] [/thread]
[@=https://niketalk.com/members/58578"Zyzz" url="/t/600697/return-of-the-niketalk-fitted-cap-help-us-decide-our-size-distribution-and-order-quantities/420#post_21152422"]
thing is im on here all the time and didnt see the thread til this morning. not everyone is on NT all the time like some of us.

i think Meth needs to just go in and place an order for 2,000-2,500 hats. i know hes gonna hate the idea but eventually they will all sell rather quickly. Will all 2,000 sell in one day? no but i bet they go within a week if everyone knows about it.

People said that about the NKETLK t-shirts, too.  We saw all the people clamoring for t-shirts, noted what sizes they most wanted, and went all in.  We made over 1,000 of the original shirts.  

The first 250 or so just BLEW out in a couple of hours.  The next day, orders dropped off substantially.  Then we'd get maybe one an hour.  Then one a day.  Then one a week.  There's a reason why they never went out of stock while we had our webstore up.  We over ordered because we said, "well, for everyone who says they want one, there's probably two or maybe even three other people who'd buy one.  As long as we sell enough to cover the production costs, anything else is icing."  In hindsight?  Stupid.    

Even today, Steez still has BOXES of those things left.  I'm trying to get a hold of the remainder, so we can make them available to you guys as giveaways, but the point is this:  it's free to say you want something.  Paying for it is a different matter entirely.  

We're going to respect the time and resources of our friends at Cap City.  This is something you do as quickly and efficiently as possible.  Make as many people happy as you can in a short span of time, then move on.  It's not something we can ask Cap City to commit to for weeks on end.  They're the ones who will have it the hardest come launch and they have a business to run.  This isn't something they're doing for profit.  To drag it out over an even longer period to eke out as many sales as possible is not fair to them.  

Last time, if these numbers are any indication, we had, say, 400 people vying for 144 caps.  We didn't know that size 8 would be more popular than size 7 & 7/8.  We made the minimum order, not knowing what the demand would be.  Based on the anemic response to the 10th anniversary t-shirts, we had good reason to be conservative.  

We're going to make the adjustment, but we're not going to get carried away.  

If we make more, you will have a better chance.  If we adjust the size distribution to this specific audience, you will have a better chance.  

I can't come to your house and deliver it to you.  I can't promise you that you'll get one.  I can give you the best chance I can while remaining respectful to our partners at Cap City.  

Two weeks ago, all you wanted was a chance.  Now, suddenly, you want a guarantee.  

I don't blame you for asking, but that's just the point:  asking is free.   

im just saying look at the poll in a short time. say you close the poll in a day or two and its at 700 votes. you are only gonna make those 700? its gonna end in a blood bath.

also i meant to ask for shirts before but thought it get no answer. why not put those already made shirts back up for sale? id gladly take one as well as others. they are already made and sitting, doesnt hurt to put em up for sale again.

I thought people was having problems receiving tees though. Like waiting over a month to 2 months and responses being slow. To find out it's "boxes" of tees left is kinda :smh: to say the least. It's a lot of lulz in here but most of us on twitter found out today or yesterday. I mean, even Ninjah00d don't know. I appreciate Meth for taking time to respond. New dudes don't understand why some of us are so "I better get one" because you wasn't on the computer at 12:01 cursing because you can't get through. I mean niketalk is a softer place than when I came on during ezboard. You don't even have to wait to be "accepted". Old head just want something we been waiting on forever.

*waits for "Did Not Read" gifs*

[thread="600697"]So thread recap is[/thread]
[thread="600697"] - No Pre-order[/thread]
[thread="600697"] - No Design Changes[/thread]
[thread="600697"] - Pole voting may dictate order quantity?[/thread]
[thread="600697"] [/thread]
[thread="600697"]Is there a limit?  Can we limit it to 1 per customer?[/thread]

Again for those who didn't see, if you want to help with the production run VOTE IN THE POLL TO HAVE YOUR SIZE REPRESENTED.

Really want a shirt rather than the hat. Hopefully all the ones who wants the hat will get theirs.

Reading the posts in this thread makes me think the release day is gonna be just like a nike/jordan release... 
laugh.gif

BRB learning programming so I can create a bot to ensure coppage

I don't care for the cap, but I could use another shirt. My Pippen 10 years shirt is kind of faded.

Not sure if this was ever addressed but what ever happened to the NT shirts? Weren't there like 5 different designs?

One thing I would like the hat to be wool. The material from the first was crappy. Beggars can't be choosers. Will still cop. 3x if it's 100% wool! :smokin :tongue:

Shoot I'd take a shirt. If you wanna get rid of one meth let me know.
When I said I was looking to recover them for giveaways, I meant contests or promotions - not "I'd love to spend $10 per person shipping these out to anyone who asks."  

Not sure if this was ever addressed but what ever happened to the NT shirts? Weren't there like 5 different designs?

We made quite a few.  There was the original shirt from 2000, the "Alpha" NKETLK shirt everyone remembers, the 8th anniversary shirt, the 9th anniversary shirt, the 10th anniversary shirt, the "comeback often" shirt, the "one cent" shirt, NT Knows, and the designers shirt.

After over ordering on the first few, we limited subsequent releases to pre-order only.  I believe we only have "Alpha" shirts left.  

If I am able to recover them, it's unlikely that we'd set up a storefront and sell them again.  Steez isn't available to sell them anymore and I don't particularly need another job.  
I thought people was having problems receiving tees though. Like waiting over a month to 2 months and responses being slow. To find out it's "boxes" of tees left is kinda
mean.gif
to say the least. It's a lot of lulz in here but most of us on twitter found out today or yesterday. I mean, even Ninjah00d don't know. I appreciate Meth for taking time to respond. New dudes don't understand why some of us are so "I better get one" because you wasn't on the computer at 12:01 cursing because you can't get through. I mean niketalk is a softer place than when I came on during ezboard. You don't even have to wait to be "accepted". Old head just want something we been waiting on forever.
People only started having problems receiving them YEARS after they went on sale.  After awhile, he stopped checking and then if an order came in, it would take him awhile to realize it.  When that happened - and it's happened maybe once or twice per year - he's always compensated the individual by giving them extra shirts for free.  

Therein lies the problem:  Cap City is running a business here.  They can't possibly be expected to warehouse extra hats.  They need that space for merchandise they can sell for a profit so they can stay in business.   The same goes for their staff's time and energy.  

Those aren't "unlimited" commodities.  

Plus, this is a more expensive product to manufacture than the t-shirts - by a substantial amount.  Asking someone to bankroll this is no small request.  It's easy to say, "order 2,000."  In reality, that's over $30,000. 

This is already a big effort for no financial gain on our end or on Cap City's end.  We have to keep the scale manageable and respect the sacrifice that's being made.  

Fair point @Methodical Management  , I see where you're coming from with that. Idk though, it's already attracting too much attention. I'm losing hope in getting a hat already.
It's at least five months away.  

Clicking a poll in July and spending actual money during the holiday season are two VERY different things.  Nobody has to choose between spending on a cap or buying "legend blue" XI's today.  Nobody has to choose between spending on a cap or buying gifts for their loved ones today. 

One possibility - and this has NOT been decided - might be to actually raise the price on this to reduce the resale potential.  That would mean more money for charity, a better chance for those who really want the product, a smaller market for resale, and a much smaller margin for resale.  

Unlike a sneaker company charging you $200 for an artificially limited shoe that costs $2 to make, the markup would ALL go to charity.  We'll see how things go, but that is an option available to help manage demand. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom