Revisiting "The Falling Man", ten years later. Do you remember this photograph?

I dont consider that suicide.

If I were in their shoes.. I would definitely considered the option of free falling.

Just think of being in a room with the heat blasted and how uncomfortable it is... now imagine being in that insane situation with smoke and an inferno on your back. While knowing you can escape, and there is fresh air just outside.

They had two options, with the same ending.

jumping head first would be the way to go - I imagine you'd die instantly with no pain.

knowing me though I'd prolly find a way to #!*% it up. I'd probably see the rushing pavement and instinctively flip to land on back - feel a whole lot of pain...maybe survive for half an hr, and then die.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've been searching for a certain poem written about the "jumpers" for years now with no luck finding it.

It starts with a description of a beautiful scenery (NY from above) and ends with the line: "kiss concrete" or something similar.

Was actually a very powerful poem told from the POV of someone in their last seconds of life. Wish I could find it.

Originally Posted by amel223

jumping head first would be the way to go - I imagine you'd die instantly with no pain.

knowing me though I'd prolly find a way to #!*% it up. I'd probably see the rushing pavement and instinctively flip to land on back - feel a whole lot of pain...maybe survive for half an hr, and then die.

Bro, survive for 30 minutes then die after plummeting some 90+ stories?...I'm sure the bodies exploded upon impact no matter how they landed.

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

Originally Posted by Ishnaga

Originally Posted by WITNESSkb24

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't someone jump from like 50+ stories up and survive? I swear I heard that somewhere
eyes.gif
 really bruh??

Really what? You think I was making a joke? Smh get some class
30t6p3b.gif

I found it online, it was 22 stories
http://www.snopes.com/rumors/survivor.asp
wow. pretty amazing stuff. http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/sept11/2003/n_9189/

Seeing those images of people jumping out of the buildings that day was crazy enough.  

The videos from History Channel's 120 Minutes are insane. They have an interactive map on the special's website showing home videos from around downtown. The one from the NYU dorms is so frightening. They zoom in on the jumpers and the two girls behind the video are arguing about what it is, since one of them is in denial. Then they catch the 2nd plane on video too.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by AirCommanderMarsFiend

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've been searching for a certain poem written about the "jumpers" for years now with no luck finding it.

It starts with a description of a beautiful scenery (NY from above) and ends with the line: "kiss concrete" or something similar.

Was actually a very powerful poem told from the POV of someone in their last seconds of life. Wish I could find it.
although tragic, this seems interesting to read!
anybody know any info on this?

Originally Posted by JordanPP30

I dont consider that suicide.

If I were in their shoes.. I would definitely considered the option of free falling.

Just think of being in a room with the heat blasted and how uncomfortable it is... now imagine being in that insane situation with smoke and an inferno on your back. While knowing you can escape, and there is fresh air just outside.

They had two options, with the same ending.
This.. 
tired.gif
 I seen The Falling Man documentary.. it's sad they had two options, and both ended with them not surviving. It's crazy seeing all the people just hanging on the side of the buildings 90 floors up just to get fresh air
30t6p3b.gif
.. sad stuff man.. and crazy how it was so bad in the building that people were jumping to there own death because it was so bad in there 
tired.gif
. I was watching it with my girl and told her I would have done the same thing

Most of the people didn't jump.

They were all crowded near the windows to get air and escape the heat. With so many people jostling for position people were pushed out or lost their grip.

I would have jumped. I would have had a panic attack at the image of me rapidly approaching concrete, so I'd be unconscious and not feel my body exploding when it hit the ground.

When The OKC bombings happened, and I was living in Oklahoma at the time, it really hit us hard. Even being a 2hr drive away from OKC, it still was an erie feeling knowing something that tragic happened just hours away from my house. When Sept 11th happend, and there was more media coverage of the events, and watching stuff unfold live brought this sick feeling in my stomach. And I just felt helpless watching it al unfold. I know that the New Yorkers on this board who had to live it up close, this impacts them more than I could ever understand, and even moreso those who lost loved ones, and or friends in that tragic event. I still remember getting home after a 6am pick up basketball session, and jumping on the PC to download some music, and I turn on the TV mins before the 2nd plane hit the towers. It shook me.. I was just in shock. It was as if the world stopped. I remember seeing those ppl jump from the towers, and my thoughts were, those ppl took thier own lives in rebellion to what the terrioist did. I was in awe of their bravery to make a decision that they would go out on thier own accord, and not succome to the fire and smoke. Yersterday, for the 1st time I sit and listened to the 911 calls.. I am a grown man, but those calls brought tears to my eyes.. To know you are about to meet death face to face in just a few moments. RIP to those ppl who lost their lives
frown.gif

Originally Posted by ksteezy

Originally Posted by amel223

Bro, survive for 30 minutes then die after plummeting some 90+ stories?...I'm sure the bodies exploded upon impact no matter how they landed.

Terrible, just terrible. Free falling for nearly 1,000 feet and dude thought it was like falling out of a tree
roll.gif

Picture a bug splattering on your windshield on a highway. Thats basically how it looked like for the poor souls who fell.

Back
Top Bottom