Roy Hibberts post game interview...No Homo

Asserting that you're not gay makes being gay offensive

Same way if a white basketball player said "Great win tonight, absolutely gonna kill some fried chicken and watermelon tonight, not black" or something along those lines

View media item 439484

Look, you guys have pounded (ah forget it), tolerance of homosexuals, fine you'll get that, but when you try to make black people emphasis with the gay plight by using these examples, you anger, ignore history, and defeat the purpose you are trying to make

Racism and Sexual insensitivity/ignorance are mutually exclusive............

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to fine Hibbert for $75k and fine other people $5k for game-changing flops, elbows to the head *cough* wade etc.

ALthough since this series started, you can see how much more confidence and flow Hibbert has in his game..and i love all his postgame interviews..he's a bad bad man
nthat.gif
nthat.gif

Ghetto =/= Black. But if you can gather a group of people who identify themselves and ghetto men/ women and fight against the word's usage, by all means go ahead. If you're really that offended by it.

I find the term to be pretty distasteful

Its offensive in terms of class

Referring to something as something only the "lowest"/ "untouchables" do or go through

Without realizing many had no voice

I agree, but ghetto is not something people identify themselves as in the same way as homosexuality, and that's why there is no push to not use it.

I see what you are saying. But I don't think it's really the same.

Like if a gay guy said "no hetero" when he said something about a women...is that offensive?
not really, because there isn't a negative perception of heterosexuality.
Ok that makes sense. I personally don't have a negative connotation for it. I just think think its an FYI statement. Like if he said. Yes homo me and Paul George are gay together. I'd be like oh cool. It wasn't a necessary statement but it was just an FYI comment to me.

But I see what your saying and think that could be slanderous

Yeah this is dumb. I don't think I've ever seen no homo used in a serious or hateful manner. It's comic relief. It's NOT someone seriously saying I AM NOT A HOMOSEXUAL - it's someone pointing out what they just said could be considered sexual or gay. I wonder if the people offended by this are also offended by "that's what she said." I hope you are.

I fight for LBGTQ and race issues all the time but I hate when people get outraged over petty/small stuff. It detracts from the real issues. Most of these outraged people don't even understand the slang.

Asserting that you're not gay makes being gay offensive

Same way if a white basketball player said "Great win tonight, absolutely gonna kill some fried chicken and watermelon tonight, not black" or something along those lines

Look, you guys have pounded (ah forget it), tolerance of homosexuals, fine you'll get that, but when you try to make black people emphasis with the gay plight by using these examples, you anger, ignore history, and defeat the purpose you are trying to make

Racism and Sexual insensitivity/ignorance are mutually exclusive............

I get what you're saying, I do

You can't hide being black like you can your sexual orientation, but I was just using an example of discrimination or something that can be perceived as offensive
Might have seemed but I didn't make them equal

Still applies if a white man feels the need to assert that he is not of Latino origin, after saying he wanted to "kill beans and rice, no ****" it still looks bad

Why does a white man not want to be associated with Latino? Black? or Poor? ( if he would to have said "im driving a Hyundai, not lower class doe")

And why does Hibbert not want to be associated with gays?

Because they perceive it as something so low that they feel they gotta let the whole world know they aren't "that"

People flaunt money because its something that deceives and gives the appearance of "success"

But people try to deny gay because society gives it the appearance as offensive

Do people really use that phrase still? It's so played out and not funny. Just goes to show how corny NBA players are; and rightfully so, they spend all their time traveling and playing basketball. The easiest thing for them to latch on to is hiphop culture and they look corny doing so.

I agree, he should've got fined. That's what he get for trying too hard to be cool. It wasn't even necessary for him to say that. He's lame.

everybody is too PC these days

why cant he say what he wants
i'm sure a quarter of the reporters in the room have no idea what he's talking about

Last edited:
I've have a gay friend and it's pretty funny that when someone walks by he either says "look, what a total ***" or "Jesus, grab a fire extinguisher here comes a flamer"

I showed him the clip and asked if it offended him. He said "Why would that offend me? Now I just know I wouldn't waste my time asking Roy out"

it's been posted that he also said those on at least 3 pages. give it a rest

But thats why he was fined. For using obscene language

Did the NBA even acknowledge the gay reference?

Why not acknowledge that he was fined for using the MF word and not saying "no homo"

But thats why he was fined. For using obscene language

Did the NBA even acknowledge the gay reference?

Why not acknowledge that he was fined for using the MF word and not saying "no homo"
Because then all the sensitive ppl would get their panties in a bunch about him not being fined for saying "no homo", so it's just better to let ppl think that's why they fined him.

By the way, who determines what's a slur?  How does an abbreviation of a word somehow become oh so offense? That makes no sense to me.

Do people really use that phrase still? It's so played out and not funny. Just goes to show how corny NBA players are; and rightfully so, they spend all their time traveling and playing basketball. The easiest thing for them to latch on to is hiphop culture and they look corny doing so.

No one is worthy, you think everyone is beneath you.

Because then all the sensitive ppl would get their panties in a bunch about him not being fined for saying "no homo", so it's just better to let ppl think that's why they fined him.

By the way, who determines what's a slur?  How does an abbreviation of a word somehow become oh so offense? That makes no sense to me.
because things dont have to make sense...if the media etc... says something, sadly enough or sheep society will follow. Someone earlier brought up a interesting and great point...acknowledging you arent a homosexual is somehow slanderish and offensive, yet pretty much any application, formal/informal document of business which has a classification of race..states white...then white non hispanic/mexican.

How is that not the same thing? At least one has credence, seeing that latino/mexican etc... are still apart of the caucasiod race.... and its society and well whites way of saying oh we are of a different class/stature aka better then the whites of spanish speaking country desent, whereas the other is saying im not a homosexual because i am a heterosexual male....which at no point references or suggest a person who is str8 saying they are in a different class, or is better then another person due to sexual orientation.

whereas the other is saying im not a homosexual because i am a heterosexual male....which at no point references or suggest a person who is str8 saying they are in a different class, or is better then another person due to sexual orientation.

You're either trivializing the point or missing the point altogether. It's the "need" to distance yourself from something that you don't want to be associated with. By saying "no homo" you are saying you don't want to be confused for a gay person. Why would you care what could be childishly misconstrued? Is "stretched out" really that blatant of a double entendre to anyone that isn't in junior high? If nothing else, it reeks of insecurity. I doubt anyone would have told Roy "I don't think you meant to, but you totally sounded gay on the podium."

That said, I don't think Roy meant it as it is read. His comments about homosexuality when Collins came out of the closet make me think he isn't hateful towards homosexuals.

You're either trivializing the point or missing the point altogether. It's the "need" to distance yourself from something that you don't want to be associated with. By saying "no homo" you are saying you don't want to be confused for a gay person. Why would you care what could be childishly misconstrued? Is "stretched out" really that blatant of a double entendre to anyone that isn't in junior high? If nothing else, it reeks of insecurity. I doubt anyone would have told Roy "I don't think you meant to, but you totally sounded gay on the podium."

That said, I don't think Roy meant it as it is read. His comments about homosexuality when Collins came out of the closet make me think he isn't hateful towards homosexuals.
ok and you avoided the point i made in reference to white...and non hispanic...The same thing argument you are saying could be applied to this. Why would there need to be differentiated from caucasiods who have/do not have lineage from spanish speaking countries? Yet there isnt a uproar, nothing is said about this. And it is clearly obvious that it is stated to say i am of some sort of better class of white person then the ones that have origins from spanish speaking countries. Um i wonder why.

ok and you avoided the point i made in reference to white...and non hispanic...The same thing argument you are saying could be applied to this. Why would there need to be differentiated from caucasiods who have/do not have lineage from spanish speaking countries? Yet there isnt a uproar, nothing is said about this. And it is clearly obvious that it is stated to say i am of some sort of better class of white person then the ones that have origins from spanish speaking countries. Um i wonder why.

I think there is difference between answering a question that has been asked and answering a question that wasn't asked. No one said "wait, Roy....does that mean you are gay?"

Back
Top Bottom