Roy Hibberts post game interview...No Homo

Ghetto =/= Black. But if you can gather a group of people who identify themselves and ghetto men/ women and fight against the word's usage, by all means go ahead. If you're really that offended by it.
What? I asked a simple question, what's the difference between the phrases "that's ghetto" and "no homo?"

As a public figure on the platform that he is currently on he should know better. You would never hear LeBron or any other superstar athlete say such a thing. They know how important their image is to their brand. Hibbert is doing really well right now, if i was him i would shut up and smile and try to get a mc donald endorsement with kids.

Ghetto =/= Black. But if you can gather a group of people who identify themselves and ghetto men/ women and fight against the word's usage, by all means go ahead. If you're really that offended by it.

What? I asked a simple question, what's the difference between the phrases "that's ghetto" and "no homo?"

Some other gentlemen made that connection from your words. I was clarifying for them.

They're both in bad taste at the end of the day.

As a public figure on the platform that he is currently on he should know better. You would never hear LeBron or any other superstar athlete say such a thing. They know how important their image is to their brand. Hibbert is doing really well right now, if i was him i would shut up and smile and try to get a mc donald endorsement with kids.

Uh lebron said it bynum said it, kobe called a ref a ****** which is worse.

so you have to hate gays to say no homo?
no way- just read the post above you. Why would any straight male have the need to say that?

Nate Robinson said it when he was with the Celtics after they beat LeBron and the Cavs and nothing happened to him.....
yeah, but it's different with this because ESPN and the sports world are trying to get gay athletes to come out ever since the 49ers player said homophobic things, if that wasn't happening nobody would care right now. 

the media has an agenda right now so it's huge news, when they don't nobody cares. 

Last edited:
Look, you guys have pounded (ah forget it), tolerance of homosexuals, fine you'll get that, but when you try to make black people emphasis with the gay plight by using these examples, you anger, ignore history, and defeat the purpose you are trying to make

Racism and Sexual insensitivity/ignorance are mutually exclusive............

I fully agree with this statement. It really annoys me when people try and make that comparison. I'm still not sure how the comparison of sexual orientation and race came about.

Back to what really matters, I think that the next logical step should be getting Cam'ron on CNN to discuss his feelings on the matter. Anyone that's been dipset fan will remember that Cam coined the phase after being seen in public in his extremely flamboyant pinks furs and clothing that you normally wouldn't see a man wearing. He started using "No Homo" as a way to defend himself from being called gay for the way he choice to dress/live in the medias eye. I know it's not a phase that has ever been used in good taste, but think about this - I'm sure Cam wasn't targeting gay people or trying to patronize homosexuals for being gay.

He was using it as a deterrent to the people criticizing him for being himself and letting them know that he wasn’t gay. Yes, he could have come up with something more politically correct but that’s not cam and he loves to start controversy. With that said, slang is vulnerable to be interpreted in many different ways in our society, it may offend some, but others just laugh it off it’s a joke. When it does offend, I think there should be an examination of the context end, which the slang was used to declare malice intent. “No Homo” wouldn't even exist if people were more open minded towards people that choose to do something not seen by society as the Norm. This is really a bigger topic on norms in society and the way we look at people that break them and are received with negative connotation.

Last edited:
I think there is difference between answering a question that has been asked and answering a question that wasn't asked. No one said "wait, Roy....does that mean you are gay?"
i agree but in either instance why does it matter...in the grand scheme of things...Why does it matter needed to be announce your gay...same as why is it a need to say you arent gay? No one asked jason collins hey are you gay and can you announce your sexuality...but yet in still he did. SO how is that any different then someone doing the same thing and saying im str8? Add to the fact that homo is technically the correct term for same sex...It isnt like other slurs etc... infact it would be the same as calling a black person a negro as oppose to negroid.

It i agree is stupid and childiesh and kinda pointless. but so is the whole premise...of announcing sexuality. when no one asked about your sexuality whether it be gay or str8. No one cared asked collins his sexual preference. he made it a point to bring it up and whether wanted or unwarranted draw attention to his sexuality. Same as hibbert did, except his response was being str8.

i agree but in either instance why does it matter...in the grand scheme of things...Why does it matter needed to be announce your gay...same as why is it a need to say you arent gay? No one asked jason collins hey are you gay and can you announce your sexuality...but yet in still he did. SO how is that any different then someone doing the same thing and saying im str8? Add to the fact that homo is technically the correct term for same sex...It isnt like other slurs etc... infact it would be the same as calling a black person a negro as oppose to negroid.

It i agree is stupid and childiesh and kinda pointless. but so is the whole premise...of announcing sexuality. when no one asked about your sexuality whether it be gay or str8. No one cared asked collins his sexual preference. he made it a point to bring it up and whether wanted or unwarranted draw attention to his sexuality. Same as hibbert did, except his response was being str8.

That's the only thing I hated when jason collins said it he announce it to magazines and started doing interviews, he didn't need to take it to that level it reminded of the situation when mark zuckerberg went on oprah to announce he was donating money.

people are taking this to serious, people usually just use it as a punchline to make people laugh, which is why Roy was laughing after he said it and so were other people there. 

it's been posted that he also said those on at least 3 pages. give it a rest

But thats why he was fined. For using obscene language

Did the NBA even acknowledge the gay reference?

Why not acknowledge that he was fined for using the MF word and not saying "no homo"

thank you for explaining that for me bro, people are oblivious

people are taking this to serious, people usually just use it as a punchline to make people laugh, which is why Roy was laughing after he said it and so were other people there. 

What? I've never laughed when someone said no homo

pause is sooooo much more covert.... 95 percent of America wouldve had no idea what he was speaking about... i pause people all the time. anytime anyplace

$75K is too much? Really? $75K is a large number, but not when you put that number into perspective. He will make that back in 22 minutes of action. 22 minutes. If you were suspended from work for and it only cost you what you'd make in 22 minutes, is that much of a deterrent? I'm guessing your employer would have stiffer disciplinary actions levied against you.

According to nicekicks hibert 75k is the same to making 40k a year and paying 219$.

But thats why he was fined. For using obscene language

Did the NBA even acknowledge the gay reference?

David stern said offensive comments and vulgar language.

Why not acknowledge that he was fined for using the MF word and not saying "no homo"

According to nicekicks hibert 75k is the same to making 40k a year and paying 219$.
The idea of fines as penalties is a joke.  No disrespect to anyone, but it can be difficult to process mentally very large numbers b/c most of us can't relate to #'s that big.  Definitely chump change to a millionaire.

Based on these numbers... that is 0.5% of somones gross earnings before taxes.

That would mean that Hibbert makes close to $15,000,000 a year (i didn't look it up, just basing it off this analogy).

Just like us commonfolk are pairing this percentage for foamposites or whatever other kicks.  This is a slap on the wrist of a fine, if that.

The media made it a punchline

Will and grace
Southpark
Family guy
SNL

Too many shows to name

These shows are always making fun gays

Last edited:
So offensive comments are worth a 75k fine, but flopping your *** off is only worth a 5k fine?

I don't agree with that.

A lot in here playing dumb like this is shocking.  He didn't get fined just for saying no mo.  He got a 75k fine for his goofy and completely unnecessary language, the acknowledgement of it being fineworthy and THEN going on to say no homo all in less than 30 seconds.  

And yeah, when i was young we used to say pause and no mo all the time, but it's not even comparable to being on national TV addresssing people, a majority of whom are not familiar with or have probbaly never heard the phrase.  

Not to mention the league setting a precedent of not having players brazenly disrespecting what they ACKNOWLEDGE are rules they are knowingly violating.  

Cats in here makin a mountain outta a molehill...

He went on a media tirade about media coverage

Da fact that he said no homo was a complete

afterthought.

Cats get fined more for critizing officiating :lol:

Back
Top Bottom