RUN with US on INSTAGRAM #NTrunning (NikeTalkRunning)

Hey all.

Been some time since I last posted my feedback regarding the LE shields and Peg 33's I picked up. Well shortly after I suffered a hamstring strain that put me out for 3-4 weeks. Just started getting back to running last weekend

Ended up sending back the Peg 33's and kept the Shields, however, now I'm really starting to feel the weight of the shoe. The Peg 33's I ran in and had instant knee pains where as the Shields had a better sole to help with the impact.

Ended up ordering a pair of just the reg LE's (ankle collar). Hoping they're lighter than the shields.

Here's a run I did today during my lunch hour. Went for a 5 miler. Current weight is 213. I'm 3 weeks out from the 1/2 marathon and hoping to be near 200lb & hit the 10 mile mark before then.

^ Negative splits are always good!
And Shields will always be heavier - I think you'll definitely notice the difference.

Ran this today, furthest I've ran since September. Said I was going to do 6 miles and just kept going. Felt tired midway but by the end I was feeling really good.

Something about running on the lakefront trail that made me really feel great. Those runs prior to this had me exhausted and thinking I was really washed. Still need get back in the groove though.

I don't know where you guys run, but is anyone else like this? Running on the streets has just never did it for me, so many unpredictable stuff going on where I have to speed up/slow down. Running on an actual path just lets me really get into the zone and feel good.

Last edited:
When I run with others, I can get competitive. On this run, I became the lead pacer by default! Lol

Last edited:
Got another week and a half before my first half marathon. I ran 10 miles on Tuesday. I made it but definitely went slow toward the end.

I've been rocking the Brooks Beast (because I'm flat footed) and wearing a bulky knee brace. I'd like to switch up but want to ensure I still have that support and protection.

I inadvertently ran 13 yesterday, haha.

I'm using City Strides to try and run all of the streets in my town this year, and because I forgot about a neighborhood on yesterday morning's run, my intended 4.5 miles became over 6.
Then my run club had a track workout, and by the time I warmed up, did the workout, and cooled down, that was almost another 7.

Woke up to my body telling me today was a rest day.

I inadvertently ran 13 yesterday, haha.

I'm using City Strides to try and run all of the streets in my town this year, and because I forgot about a neighborhood on yesterday morning's run, my intended 4.5 miles became over 6.
Then my run club had a track workout, and by the time I warmed up, did the workout, and cooled down, that was almost another 7.

Woke up to my body telling me today was a rest day.
Beast Mode

Yesterday's run...

How durable are those racers. I got a pair that I love running in but only use them occasionally because I'm nervous they are going to fall apart. You seem to put a ton of miles on yours or do you have multiple pairs?

I have multiple pairs, but I retired my Cheetos at around 525mi. They're surprisingly durable, and clean up for them is a snap!

Finished my first 50k yesterday in 4:51. My number one goal was to finish strong, and to be more specific, that meant to me being able to push the pace at the end. Every marathon I have run for a fast time I have started fast to be able to "bank" time. And each time I have hit the wall between 20-22 miles, with cramping legs, and my last race in January I had to stop and walk several times near the end. Needless to say, I really have never finished very strong in a long race.
Yesterday, I purposefully dropped way back at 10-11-min pace for the first mile and kept it pretty slow for a while. By mile 6 or 7 it really just felt like I had only warmed up. That slow pace plus trying some negative splits throughout, in combination with drinking a good amount of Tailwind mix (probably went through about 50oz) I credit for avoiding cramps and tight legs altogether. Of course I was very tired throughout parts of the race, but instead of pushing too hard, I listened to my body. My last mile reads under 9-min pace, but I was actually under 8 for the last half mile and at 7:30 at the end.
So, in short, start really slow, and make sure you're getting the nutrition in! I used Tailwind, but also a few Honey Stingers waffles, a couple gels, some banana, watermelon, pbj sandwich, and several sodium tablets. Aid stations at ultras are awesome compared to marathons and shorter!
I used a handheld 12oz bottle that I refilled at the aid stations and poured in more Tailwind when I came by my dropbag (it was a loop course).

Splits:

Last edited:
Finished my first 50k yesterday in 4:51. My number one goal was to finish strong, and to be more specific, that meant to me being able to push the pace at the end. Every marathon I have run for a fast time I have started fast to be able to "bank" time. And each time I have hit the wall between 20-22 miles, with cramping legs, and my last race in January I had to stop and walk several times near the end. Needless to say, I really have never finished very strong in a long race.
Yesterday, I purposefully dropped way back at 10-11-min pace for the first mile and kept it pretty slow for a while. By mile 6 or 7 it really just felt like I had only warmed up. That slow pace plus trying some negative splits throughout, in combination with drinking a good amount of Tailwind mix (probably went through about 50oz) I credit for avoiding cramps and tight legs altogether. Of course I was very tired throughout parts of the race, but instead of pushing too hard, I listened to my body. My last mile reads under 9-min pace, but I was actually under 8 for the last half mile and at 7:30 at the end.
So, in short, start really slow, and make sure you're getting the nutrition in! I used Tailwind, but also a few Honey Stingers waffles, a couple gels, some banana, watermelon, pbj sandwich, and several sodium tablets. Aid stations at ultras are awesome compared to marathons and shorter!
I used a handheld 12oz bottle that I refilled at the aid stations and poured in more Tailwind when I came by my dropbag (it was a loop course).

Splits:
Congratulations!

Thank you for the recap.  I also try the "bank time" method with half marathons, but I'm thinking of switching. I'm just too impatient to start slow.  My next one is in two weeks, and it's not a course I think I can PR on, so maybe it's good for an experiment.

Congratulations!
Thank you for the recap.  I also try the "bank time" method with half marathons, but I'm thinking of switching. I'm just too impatient to start slow.  My next one is in two weeks, and it's not a course I think I can PR on, so maybe it's good for an experiment.
Thanks! I am a bit more sore today, but could still go for a short run, so recovery seems to be good too. Just no downhills right now!

It's impossible to really know, but I'm wondering how much benefit I got out of the month-long heart rate training for metabolic efficiency. I think I'm a better "fat-burner" than before, meaning I should be able to burn a higher rate of fat-to-carbs at higher hbpm than before, so that may have helped me not have to shove in a ton of carbs to keep going, and just use my own fat stores more. But I think just starting slow makes a bigger difference. If this was a 50 or 100-miler, nutrition would be as important as pace.

How do you like Tailwind? Do you just sip on it throughout the race? What mechanism do you use to carry it (bag, camelback, etc)?

How do you like Tailwind? Do you just sip on it throughout the race? What mechanism do you use to carry it (bag, camelback, etc)?
I used a 12-oz handheld I got here:
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Ult..._Grip_350_Handheld_12_oz/descpage-UDJG31.html

Having the strap is invaluable. I had been concerned about weight, sloshing, etc as to how tired my arm might get but it was not a factor at all. Not sure how a bigger bottle or longer race would go, but I really liked this. I could just grab the strap itself when I was using two hands to rip open a gel or waffle. There are other handhelds with zipper pouches but if you have good shorts with gel pockets you really don't need storage outside the bottle.

I had initially thought of using a pack or waistband of bottles. Thoughts on those - I heard a suggestion from the Trail Runner Nation podcast - you'd look like a newbie with a bunch of bottles around your waist. Usually they have very small openings which are not ideal for aid station refills. Go with a big cap opening. Mine wasn't huge, but enough for me to take a scoop of Tailwind to refresh it every five miles. If it hadn't been a loop course, I would have pocketed a bunch of powder anyway. I really like Tailwind! I've only tried Lemon and Mandarine Orange, but both are great. Not anything like Gatorade - more savory than sweet, but stick to the serving suggestion. I did one scoop for a whole 12-oz bottle and that was perfect.
I had considered using a pack. I have a Nathan pack also from running warehouse, and it came with a 70-oz bag ( ! ). I also have a 50-oz bag which sounds like a lot, and it is a significant weight, but I had to refill on a 4-hour training run and went through about 80-oz.
For this race, I scanned through some past year's pictures and a lot more people had handhelds than packs. I succumbed to peer pressure and went handheld. As long as there are a good amount of aid stations, handheld is great, although I did see plenty of packs.

I tried to take a couple good sips each mile, and did more often as the race went on. I really didn't eat much else, but ideally they say you need to take in about 200-300 calories per hour.

I could go on, but here is a pic of most of what I used. Those sodium capsules are great - some people swear by them and some think they're myths, but I took one every hour to hour and a half and I partly credit that for not cramping up. And the pack on the right is what I mentioned above, but I didn't use it for the race.

Congrats, Tim! :smokin

I've been running 1milers daily (but at sexy pace up hills). I'm getting way too comfortable, so, today, I had to turn it back on!

Recorded a new VO2max with my fenix right after! :smokin

So my LE's (non shield w/ankle collar) came in and MAN i am super excited to day the least. 

A little story, with Nike's recent promo sale I decided to give the Peg 33's one more try. I ran a 10K with them on Tuesday and had knee pains going into mile 4 and on. Knee pain continued all throughout yesterday up until this afternoon. 

Put the LE's on and a 1/4 mile into my run, knee pain went away. As if nothing happened to begin with. Super happy with them. 

Progress from today's run. Had to cut it short, the heat wave here did not make it possible to continue on. 

Biggest obstacle i faced with today's run was the uphill battle on the return back to my starting point. Pretty much ran up a hill that eventually flattened out then back up a hill and repeat. Mixed with this heat, gave me some horrible splits. Definitely sucked. 

Ran my first half marathon today. I should preface that I went in hurt (excuses, excuses). I hurt/sprained my ankle early in the week after running riding the bike for an hour at the gym, then running 7-miles, then biking an hour at the gym then starting out on a six miler. I was dying whenever my foot hit the deck so I stopped at 2.25 miles.

Anyways, I ran the Marine Corps Historic Half. I wrapped my ankle, had my knee brace and Brooks Beast.

I took it easy. Finished at 2:29. I think I could've hit early 2s but I didn't want to hurt myself more.

Boy, I can't imagine running 26.2 miles. I did buy the Tail Wind but opted not to bring it. I might bring it with a camel back next time.

My calves cramped at mile 11. Anyways, I've signed up for the full Marine Corps Marathon in October. Definitely going to follow a marathon training plan.

wow awesome, I can't imagine running (even a 5k) with a sprained ankle the week before!
I'm paying for it today. Took the day off from work and icing/heating it.

I ran with a friend. He was having bouts of gout last week.

I want to do better next time.

Today's run. Haven't run in a week. Wanted to let my Achilles calm down. Foot a little sore still. Legs felt strong though. Need to visit the chiro this week to get checked and see what I can do to strengthen my Achilles.

Ran my first half marathon today. I should preface that I went in hurt (excuses, excuses). I hurt/sprained my ankle early in the week after running riding the bike for an hour at the gym, then running 7-miles, then biking an hour at the gym then starting out on a six miler. I was dying whenever my foot hit the deck so I stopped at 2.25 miles.

Anyways, I ran the Marine Corps Historic Half. I wrapped my ankle, had my knee brace and Brooks Beast.

I took it easy. Finished at 2:29. I think I could've hit early 2s but I didn't want to hurt myself more.

Boy, I can't imagine running 26.2 miles. I did buy the Tail Wind but opted not to bring it. I might bring it with a camel back next time.

My calves cramped at mile 11. Anyways, I've signed up for the full Marine Corps Marathon in October. Definitely going to follow a marathon training plan.

Congrats. Ran my first half in early may. Was happy to finish under 2:30. Looking to get to around 2 hours the next go in July. Didn't help my Achilles was bothering me a week before the run

good luck on the MCM run. i'm signed up for it too. it's my first marathon. i didn't get picked for the NYC one so the MCM is the next best thing for me schedule wise.

Back
Top Bottom