Sacremento Kings - Where do you guys see this team going in the next few years?

This is a team that everyone has forgotten about in recent years but due to some excellent drafting, they've opened up a ton of eyes this season.

Drafting Jason Thompson at #12 last year, drafting a future superstar at #4 this year, stealing Omri Casspi at #23 overall, etc.

I've watched a few of their games this season and there is a lot to like about this team. They seem to me to be a lot like the Blazers and Thunder...twoother teams who were terrible for a few years but who have rebuilt their franchises and are optimistic going forward.

The Kings have a great group of young players in Thompson, Evans, Casspi.

They have proven NBA talent locked up for another 3 years in Beno Udrih and Andres Nocioni.

They have some decent role players in Francisco Garcia, Spencer Hawes, Donte Green, Sergio Rodriguez.

And ofcourse they have the oft-injured Kevin Martin who can easily put up 25+ points on any given night.

More importantly, they have $20 million coming off the books this coming summer (Kenny Thomas, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Mikki Moore, Sean May, DesmondMason
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
).

So with that group of players + $20 million in cash to spend, where do you guys seeing the Kings ending up? Can they compete for the Western Conference Titlein 2-3 years? How should they spend the money?

They need to trade Martin this year. He and Tyreke both dominate the ball.

Jason Thompson is a very good player also. I can see them being a 5 or 6 in the West within the next 2 years.

they're like a baby portland trail blazers, they have a pretty young, yet skillful team

as long as TyFreak Evans keeps it up, and the organizations tries to pick up experienced players, the sky is honestly the limit (and hopefully they can give LAa run for their money, I'd love that
pimp.gif
)

Back in the WCF against the Lakers.

This team feels like the '99 team. Talented and growing but something's missing. Is it possible to trade Kmart and Hawes for Chris Bosh?

Vs the Cavs on the 23rd, the Kings starting lineup was:

Tyreke- 20 years old
Casspi- 21 years old
Greene- 21 years old
Hawes- 21 years old
Thompson- 23 years old

eek.gif
eek.gif

They need a big free agent acquisition next season before they threaten anything more than a 7-8 seed in the playoffs.

And
roll.gif
at Beno Udrih being proven talent, they been wanted to get rid of him after last year.

they have a nice young squad and are way ahead of schedule as far as progress goes. i believe they are similar to okc (a yr behind) as far as having youngtalent and having a young superstar. next yr, i expect them to be .500 and flirting with the playoffs. right now they are losing the close gms, which should beexpected given their lack of experience.

geoff petrie does it again with stockpiling young talent and hiring paul westphal. from the handful of gms i have seen this season, this team plays hard.

lets see how martin adapts playing with tyreke before you start talking trade. grant it, he dominates the ball, but he was the only scorer they had theprevious seasons. anyone think tyreke is like a mini-lebron as far as point guards
sick.gif

Why does everyone think the Kings need to trade Martin?

Did you guys not remember he was averaging just as many points when the offense ran through Ron Artest or Mike Bibby when they were here?

If anything he's a great fit with Evans if the offense is ran through Evans.

The problem was that the offense ran through Martin the first couple of games and everyone just stayed stagnant and expected Martin to make a play.

Martin plays really well if he is the second option and hopefully that happens when he comes back.

Trade Martin, then use the $ coming off the books to pick up some quality talent that doesn't take 3-4 years to develop (preferably someone who has alreadyproved themselves).

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Playoff contention, but they need a couple more pieces.

they need to decide what they're going to do with kevin martin

cause if evans runs point, he'd dominate more and still have to give martin his looks, which would be too much
they should trade martin, and look for a spot up shooting guard, or a guard that could produce without dominating the ball so much.

Martin can work with Evans. Don't let Evans' first five games in the NBA fool you.

Martin is a shooter, who is best coming off of screens or being set up for the open jumper. Evans is best driving to the basket and gets all of his assistsfrom kicking it out after a drive. There is no conflict there. They'll be a dangerous back-court. With Martin not having to create his own shot so much,maybe he'll get injured less often. And don't forget, Martin lobbied for the Kings to draft Evans and has said many times in recent interviews that hebelieves they can work together fine. The tandem is worth at least a one-season trial run before we start calling for Martin to get traded.

To those saying Martin dominates the ball, that's simply not true. Last year he was the most efficient 20+ point scorer in the league, averaging 25 pointsoff of only 16 attempts without anyone worth passing to. (Even if you want to factor in his 10 free throw attempts, that's still only 21 attempts pergame). This year, Udrih, Thompson, and Greene have stepped their games up, and Evans and Casspi are both top 3 rookies--check ESPN's rankings if you wantto argue that--meaning he finally has people to share the offensive load with.

All that has to happen is Martin takes all of Nocioni's and Udoka's attempts (14), and 1-2 attempts tops from Greene, Casspi, and/or Udrih--I guaranteeyou that he will make more of the shots than they currently do and the Kings will be better for it. There is enough rock to go around.

As far as the future of the team, I think we're one shot-blocking/defensive oriented big man away and a couple of years of experience away from contendingagain. I'd like to see some sort of deal involving some combination of Hawes/Garcia/Nocioni/K9's expiring for that big man we need. I'm confidentthat by Evans' 3rd year, we'll be at worst a middle seed in the playoffs.

My dude Beats05 is back
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Right now, if we're keeping K-Mart, it's looking like the odd man out is 'Cisco (sad to say as he's been the vocal veteran presence), K-9,Nocioni, and Hawes. Petrie should've pulled the trigger on the Hawes, K-9, and Nocioni for Emeka Okafor deal. He's probably kicking himself in the $#+for passing up on that deal
smh.gif

They are moving in the right direction but they need a legit big man to go deeper in the playoffs than besides making it as the 8th or 7th seed where they have1st round exits.

Even right now they aren't good enough to make it as the 8th seed this season, maybe in a year or 2.

But they should go after someone like Amarie Stoudamire or Dirk Diggler next summer.

DLo13 wrote:
Las Vegas.

Seriously. I personally drove all the way up to Sacramento from San Francisco Wednesday and based on where the stadium is located alone was an unpleasantexperience. Let alone I walked straight into the stadium without getting my tickets scanned. (Where the hell is security?!) The stadium is falling apart. Thosewooden seats have been there since 1988. The Maloof brothers do not want to invest anything into the stadium. That's pretty damn sad.

Now on to the team. They have a very solid starting five, minus a good PG. Martin needs to get healthy quick. It seems as if the 2-3-4 positions are on lock. Abig man and a PG would solidify a playoff position in this now weakened Western Conference.

I honestly see the team moving within 5 years. Not necessarily Vegas, but somehere for sure.

Originally Posted by DLo13

Las Vegas.
I don't see the Kings or any NBA team relocating there anytime soon. Not after the whole Tim Donaghy betting on games scandal, and also whenthe allstar game was in Vegas a couple years back the whole Adam "Pacman" Jones shooting up a strip club incident set the NBA back on trying to get ateam in Vegas. Also David Stern would probably ask Vegas to close sports books on NBA betting which will never happen.

One place that I could see the Kings moving to is Anaheim where the Honda Center is.

Originally Posted by Beats05

Martin can work with Evans. Don't let Evans' first five games in the NBA fool you.

Martin is a shooter, who is best coming off of screens or being set up for the open jumper. Evans is best driving to the basket and gets all of his assists from kicking it out after a drive. There is no conflict there. They'll be a dangerous back-court. With Martin not having to create his own shot so much, maybe he'll get injured less often. And don't forget, Martin lobbied for the Kings to draft Evans and has said many times in recent interviews that he believes they can work together fine. The tandem is worth at least a one-season trial run before we start calling for Martin to get traded.

To those saying Martin dominates the ball, that's simply not true. Last year he was the most efficient 20+ point scorer in the league, averaging 25 points off of only 16 attempts without anyone worth passing to. (Even if you want to factor in his 10 free throw attempts, that's still only 21 attempts per game). This year, Udrih, Thompson, and Greene have stepped their games up, and Evans and Casspi are both top 3 rookies--check ESPN's rankings if you want to argue that--meaning he finally has people to share the offensive load with.

All that has to happen is Martin takes all of Nocioni's and Udoka's attempts (14), and 1-2 attempts tops from Greene, Casspi, and/or Udrih--I guarantee you that he will make more of the shots than they currently do and the Kings will be better for it. There is enough rock to go around.

As far as the future of the team, I think we're one shot-blocking/defensive oriented big man away and a couple of years of experience away from contending again. I'd like to see some sort of deal involving some combination of Hawes/Garcia/Nocioni/K9's expiring for that big man we need. I'm confident that by Evans' 3rd year, we'll be at worst a middle seed in the playoffs.

am i missing something? first 5 games?

Like you said, Martin is a shooter. he needs someone to set him up. who the hell is going to do that? Reke cant turn into a point. they're better offleaving him at the 2.
so where does martin go? he already gets abused by 2s, imagine guarding the 3s. he also has a fat contract.

i agree with the bottom though, they need a legit big. Their frontcourt has way too many backup 4s/5s, none of them are reliable night in & out.
Beno-Reke-Omri-Thompson-Big Man
Sergio-Garcia-Udoka-Jon-Hawes

that lineup has some future. Thomas+Noic. for something. maybe a draft pick or any team looking to save money.

Back
Top Bottom