Safe to play in Kobes after an ankle sprain?

I played in the 5s yesterday after a really really bad sprain the week after New Years. They were fine. I prefer my 5s over my 6s because they are much lower to the ground.

i believe you should be good, if you feel worried just head to sports authority and grab and ankle brace that you can wear with your shoes

I cant Play with low tops at all as soon as i step on the court ill just roll my ankle hahah

i hate this whole thing with low top shoes and ankle injuries. i wore kobes for two years playing jc ball and i never wore sprained my ankle but the day i put on some hyperfuse i sprained my ankle. most kobes have good support even though they are low top

Originally Posted by af1 1982

Don't invest in ankle brace. It will just restrict your ankle and you will mess up your knee. Your joints were meant to move. Something's gotta give either way. If it's not your ankles its your knees and vice versa.

The best preventative measure is to have a strong ankle to begin with. Invest in a resistance band and do ankle exercises. Also use ankle weights to strengthen it and use the band to warm it up before and after playing. That's the best way to prevent an ankle injury.

Sources: Torn ligaments in both ankles multiple times. A broken left one, ruptured right achilles. After a while you start to pick up some tricks
laugh.gif

Word, the ankle gets weak in the brace and it can't experience full range of motion. Resistance exercises and proprioception are best. 

Originally Posted by yk12

i hate this whole thing with low top shoes and ankle injuries. i wore kobes for two years playing jc ball and i never wore sprained my ankle but the day i put on some hyperfuse i sprained my ankle. most kobes have good support even though they are low top

Truth.

My worst ankle injury came in mids heralded as having great ankle support...Fact is as Kobe said, if you're going to sprain your ankle, you're going to sprain your ankle. high, mid or low. Now the low has to be done right mind you..

My favorite were the Kobe IV's. Feel it around your ankle and its nice and firm right around my ankle to the point that I felt, i think at least, that it resisted allowing my ankle to turn for just a split second allowing me to gain balance and get weight off it.  Thats what I want in a shoe. Look at a lot of these mids and feel where it is around your ankle, a lot of them its flimsy nothing around your ankle which amounts to nothing. And as many have said, the true value in ankle support is heel stability 

wear the kobe 5 OP. it's the most stable among the recent kobes.
have you guys seen the recent high tops available in the market?
the added height is actually very flimsy and I highly doubt it actually
provides any type of support. (HD2011,HF2011, lebrons, etc.)

it's really flexible and it's pretty much obvious that what matters is
ankle security/stability.

what good would two pieces of cloth tied to the sides of your ankle
if they move and flex just like your socks?

people... and their "ideas"...

Soccer provides more torque and pressure on the ankles than basketball.
The argument is valid and yes, soccer players wear low tops. Have you
guys seen more than 10 soccer players wearing high tops? mid tops?
ankle brace?

Originally Posted by kobeoverbron

ankle brace?

The Soccer analogy is horrible!

How often do you jump in Soccer?  How often do you jump in the Basketball?

Its day and night. In Basketball you have to jump all the time! This is where most people felt vulnerable. Also Basketball is a alot more physical sport then Soccer.

The reason why Soccer players don't wear high tops or mid tops because they use their feet exclusively, they need to be able feel their feet and by extension feel their feet.

I've sprained my ankle maybe 8-9 times and had 3 fractures. All in mid tops, and not these modern flimsy midtops as was pointed previously. This was late 90s early 00s when shoes were more meaty.
my preference is a mid top shoe, but again, if you land on someone's foot badly, mid-low, either way you're screwed. Mid tops might limit it to a certain degree. The only thing that saved me was aircasts, but they restrict movement severely.
Strength training is the best solution, big powerful legs provide stability and balance
I haven't played in a while and was on the lookout for a new shoe, when I saw the new hyperdunks and felt the ankle support on it was a joke. It's paper thin. I thought about the kobe but the salesman at footlocker told me that a lot of guys came back with ankle injuries from the kobe, that's why they came up with this scrunchy thing around the ankle

Originally Posted by Al Bundy5

big powerful legs provide stability and balance
I haven't played in a while and was on the lookout for a new shoe, when I saw the new hyperdunks and felt the ankle support on it was a joke. It's paper thin. I thought about the kobe but the salesman at footlocker told me that a lot of guys came back with ankle injuries from the kobe, that's why they came up with this scrunchy thing around the ankle

I think you hit it with balance.  Increase your balance and you will decrease the likelyhood of a roll or at least the sevarity of the injury.  I have a pair of hyperdunk low's and I think they are the only pair of shoes I have worn that I didn't roll my ankle in.  The outrigger on them helps a lot but I try to do things to increase my balance as well which has really helped out.  I am able to bounce out of what would be a roll most of the time.  When I rolled my ankle in my Adizero D-rose lows I landed on the side of my foot when coming down from a rebound.   I did this years ago and was on crutches for about 2 weeks.  This time I played the following Saturday

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

Originally Posted by kobeoverbron

ankle brace?

The Soccer analogy is horrible!

How often do you jump in Soccer?  How often do you jump in the Basketball?

Its day and night. In Basketball you have to jump all the time! This is where most people felt vulnerable. Also Basketball is a alot more physical sport then Soccer.

The reason why Soccer players don't wear high tops or mid tops because they use their feet exclusively, they need to be able feel their feet and by extension feel their feet.
Ankle injury  =/= jumping many times.

twisting your feet while dribbling and crossing over in the field could do that as well.
and by saying they use their feet exclusively,
that actually means that you will MORE LIKELY
injure something you use exclusively.

wait, are you agreeing with me?

Ask Steph Curry. He twisted it while moving around. Something very common in soccer
while using your feet exclusively.

But if using your feet exclusively means less foot injuries/ankle sprains then I guess your
absolutely right.
frown.gif

I used to hate low tops but bought in when kobe start wearing them and now I love it. They feel much more responsive. In the last 5 years I only had one minor sprain when stepping on someones foot going to the basket. I used to wear ankle braces all the time but I find that it eventually weakens your muscle and they tend to resprain easier.

Back
Top Bottom