sanding down midsoles??

Has anyone had to sand down midsoles? I am repainting some black cement 3s and the acetone roughed up the midsole and was wondering would sand paper smooth it back out?

It would make the surface even, but I don't think it will become smooth. Unless you go up to very high grits. Even then, I don't think you will get the OG finish. With a good,even surface, the paint you put on them should make them smooth again. If you want to keep it the same color, try giving it a pass of clear so the paint can give it a smoother finish. Never tried it, just a thought

Im wondering too. I used nail remover and the missile turns out butterey...at least not smooth. I tried to sand down it but it seems getting worse and worse. My friend said sanding is a must to make the surface smooth, otherwise the new paint will crack..

Can sb help?
View media item 1965908

Has anyone had to sand down midsoles? I am repainting some black cement 3s and the acetone roughed up the midsole and was wondering would sand paper smooth it back out?
Did you ever find this out? I'm having the same exact problem. One side of the midsole is smooth, the other side is all jacked up.

I’m not professional and learn threw trail and error . But what I do to sum it up is sand it down .
If you went deep into the midsole or have gouging is clean the area with alcohol (use a make up sponge dosnt leave lint like a cotton ball does) use “shoe goo” just a dab and smooth/spread it with a ice cube . That stuff is very stick and messy use bear min. And from there you begin “wet” sanding the mids with out pressure . It is not easy or done fast but when your done the surface will be awesome . The auto parts store have sanding packs . 600,800,1000,1500,2000,2500,3000 grit . Do not sand back and forth. Make over lapping circular patterns back and forth. Keep the paper wet keep the mid sole wet and clean when you get into the 1500 you will start to see your labor paying off . No pressure circular patterns , make sure it’s stays clean . Any thing between the paper and midsole (sand , dirt .. ) with scratch all the work you have done. If your impatient or gonna rush it , don’t waste your shoe or time . Apply a thin layer of paint let dry and wet sand with the fine grits one more time . It takes hours but it’s worth it . Don’t rush, don’t give up and when your done , you did that . Check out a couple you tube videos on wet sanding to see if your up to it and there techniques. Later

I don't think sanding is the answer - this is foam you're dealing with. It's molded so it has a smooth surface but removing the paint may leave you with a slightly rougher surface - and sanding that will just get you into the matrix of the foam which won't get smoother the more you sand because it has large pores.

I would remove the paint and then prime it and sand the primer gently - that will give you a better surface with less imperfections.

Back
Top Bottom