SAT-- Study Tips?

Well... doomsday is coming soon for me
laugh.gif

For dudes that have taken the test already what are some studying tips that you guys have? So far I've done flash cards with a numerous amount of complicated words that I didn't know, kinda helping kinda not.

I don't know though, some of the words got me looking like:

bush-scratching-head.jpg

Originally Posted by 23bryan

May 1st for me. You should spend $20 on a study book though.

Yeah I got a fat @## College Board book
laugh.gif

Just looking for quick/helpful study tips so I don't have to go through like 500 pages of tips
sick.gif

Originally Posted by agold1002

should have started a long time ago...
I've been studying here and there... as I said above just looking for some quick/helpful tips so I can cram as much info as I can before the test.

make sure you get rest the night before. Get an SAT book, and do at least 2 practice exams for real (timing yourself, no messing around).  This will give you a good feel of how it will be like on the real exam day. Practice tests are incredibly helpful. For the grammar section, just understand the "tricks" that can help you get a good score. There's just a bunch of general rules you need to remember that will help a lot. Don't blank out while reading passages, since that can happen due to the boring topics they tend to choose (womens rights, excerpts old autobiographical journals, etc.) Good luck!

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I took mine back in 05 and I remember barely studying but still ended up getting a really good score. Don't sweat it, the test is super easy

Originally Posted by young lad

make sure you get rest the night before. Get an SAT book, and do at least 2 practice exams for real (timing yourself, no messing around).  This will give you a good feel of how it will be like on the real exam day. Practice tests are incredibly helpful. For the grammar section, just understand the "tricks" that can help you get a good score. There's just a bunch of general rules you need to remember that will help a lot. Don't blank out while reading passages, since that can happen due to the boring topics they tend to choose (womens rights, excerpts old autobiographical journals, etc.) Good luck!

Yeah just took a practice test. And I ALWAYS space out while reading... the topics you said they choose are on point, I just read a topic about womens rights and damn near fell asleep
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Just bLAzed

i hope those words youre learning are specific for the SAT
Yeah I have a book that LITERALLY has every single word that appears/appeared in the SAT. It's like 40 pages of words though, sickening
sick.gif

i went to the public library and got the latest book and studied it for a good while. The math questions are basically identical as in the books, the written essay will be easy, it will be something like, "please describe what loyalty is to you" or some bs. Be careful with how you manage your time and take a calculator and extra pencils. Water is a plus. (i took it the beginning of my senior year last school year)

I got a 1792 with a hangover and 5 hours of sleep.

So drink tequila the night before and kiss a fat white girl.

My personal key to sucess.

Breathe, they drilled this mess into your head for 10+ years.

Its all about comprehension and how well can you understand the questions.

Eat and get some rest.. you should do fine.

Originally Posted by GTEK

Breathe, they drilled this mess into your head for 10+ years.

Its all about comprehension and how well can you understand the questions.

Eat and get some rest.. you should do fine.

Yeah... the only part that's worrying me though is the writing section because they just throw words in there that I've never heard in my life. And the math section is somewhat difficult because I learned all that geometry @#$# 3 years ago and it's hard to recall all the different things I learned.

Kaplan helps. Made me jump 180 points on the old 1600 scale during my 2nd time. Um, stay relaxed is my best advice.

there isn't too much "studying" you can do for the SAT. just make sure you're well rested and mentally prepared for a 4 hour test. i've taken it somewhere around 4 times (SAT subject tests included) and never truly "studied" but once i got the hang of taking such an exhausting test, i was fine.

Originally Posted by McFlyyy

there isn't too much "studying" you can do for the SAT. just make sure you're well rested and mentally prepared for a 4 hour test. i've taken it somewhere around 4 times (SAT subject tests included) and never truly "studied" but once i got the hang of taking such an exhausting test, i was fine.
this is how i feel too...studying "educational material" really isn't going to help you that much.

it might help to look over stuff about tips with the test though...like how to eliminate some answers, etc.

good luck to you!

Don't study for it AT ALL. That worked for me
First time I didn't study and I got a better score
than when I studied for it (although just a little bit)
and took it the second time. And I ended up at
a pretty good school (UC Berkeley)
smile.gif

I think people just over-think the SAT.
Just be cool and don't worry about it

study how to take the test, not what's on it. if you understand how to take good test prep and the concepts that go into eliminating answers, you'll give yourself a good chance at getting something decent (1800+) without actually knowing most of what you're getting correct.

Back
Top Bottom