Serious Discussion: How to help my nephews Video Game Addiction

I have 4 nephews that are addicted to video games. They are ages 12, 11, 10, and 9. All 4 of them lost their dad in 2008 and ever since their lives changed. They used to live a pretty well-off since their dad was making good money and would literally spoil them. Once he passed away, their lives changed since now they live with their mom in an apartment in which they cannot afford to live well-off as before.

The main problems is they always fight amongst each other and as of lately they are extremely disrespectful to their mom. They know her threshold and weakness such as they live in an apartment in which they have received 2 complaints already from neighbors for making noise (no surprise they are 4 boys living togethers). If their mom would not let them play video games, they would just start yelling, breaking things, and stomping on the floor knowing that their mom has to cave in or else receive another complaint from their neighbors.

Today she dropped them off my house because they were upset again but more intensely this time because she just took away the games completely. I want to help them so bad and I was hoping people had good strategies or advice.

Some of my thoughts are to get them involve in activites outside the house such as sports, extra-curricular activities, boys and girls club, volunteer activities, and so on. The MAIN kid that is SUPER addicted to video games has a heart problem which will not allow him to play sports so I have to come up with other activities for him.

I hope to hear some creative responses and I know there will be a few funny answers but for the most part I appreciate any of your suggestions.

CLIFFNOTES
-4 nephews ages 9,10,11,12 addicted to video games (the 10 and 11 year old are the most addicted)
-super disrespectful to their mom when they cannot play and they always bug her to play
-they lost their dad in 2008
-any solutions, suggestions, or advice on how to combat their addiction

I have 4 nephews that are addicted to video games. They are ages 12, 11, 10, and 9. All 4 of them lost their dad in 2008 and ever since their lives changed. They used to live a pretty well-off since their dad was making good money and would literally spoil them. Once he passed away, their lives changed since now they live with their mom in an apartment in which they cannot afford to live well-off as before.

The main problems is they always fight amongst each other and as of lately they are extremely disrespectful to their mom. They know her threshold and weakness such as they live in an apartment in which they have received 2 complaints already from neighbors for making noise (no surprise they are 4 boys living togethers). If their mom would not let them play video games, they would just start yelling, breaking things, and stomping on the floor knowing that their mom has to cave in or else receive another complaint from their neighbors.

Today she dropped them off my house because they were upset again but more intensely this time because she just took away the games completely. I want to help them so bad and I was hoping people had good strategies or advice.

Some of my thoughts are to get them involve in activites outside the house such as sports, extra-curricular activities, boys and girls club, volunteer activities, and so on. The MAIN kid that is SUPER addicted to video games has a heart problem which will not allow him to play sports so I have to come up with other activities for him.

I hope to hear some creative responses and I know there will be a few funny answers but for the most part I appreciate any of your suggestions.

CLIFFNOTES
-4 nephews ages 9,10,11,12 addicted to video games (the 10 and 11 year old are the most addicted)
-super disrespectful to their mom when they cannot play and they always bug her to play
-they lost their dad in 2008
-any solutions, suggestions, or advice on how to combat their addiction

Easy, force them to do physical activities. Get a bunch of pamphlets and tell them here, pick what you want to do, you're gonna do this instead of being a rotten piece of !%*@ to your mother.

Since they lost their pops, they probably also have some underlying rage issues as a result, so look into boxing, any type of MMA training, football, hockey and baseball if one of them is fat and or lazy.

More time they're out of the house away from each other, the better (just make sure they're doing something productive and not robbing old ladies).

Easy, force them to do physical activities. Get a bunch of pamphlets and tell them here, pick what you want to do, you're gonna do this instead of being a rotten piece of !%*@ to your mother.

Since they lost their pops, they probably also have some underlying rage issues as a result, so look into boxing, any type of MMA training, football, hockey and baseball if one of them is fat and or lazy.

More time they're out of the house away from each other, the better (just make sure they're doing something productive and not robbing old ladies).

Originally Posted by Grimey

if they keep fighting over it just it take away from them for good.

went right over his head.

1. Beat their %%+e$
2. Set a standard on how much video games they can play. (taking it will prolly make them worse.)
3. Make them earn the game by doing chores/helping out around the house.
4. Stop buying the new games that come out (they will eventually get bored of the same old ones.)
5. Try getting them out the house for sports, or if dude has a heart condition.... the zoo/park or places where you can spend time, but not alot of money 6. If steps 2-5 don't work, Start over at 1

Originally Posted by Grimey

if they keep fighting over it just it take away from them for good.

went right over his head.

1. Beat their %%+e$
2. Set a standard on how much video games they can play. (taking it will prolly make them worse.)
3. Make them earn the game by doing chores/helping out around the house.
4. Stop buying the new games that come out (they will eventually get bored of the same old ones.)
5. Try getting them out the house for sports, or if dude has a heart condition.... the zoo/park or places where you can spend time, but not alot of money 6. If steps 2-5 don't work, Start over at 1

For the dude with a heart condition, either make him learn an instrument or give him a camera and tell him to walk around the hood filming/shooting whatever the hell he wants. Kids love messing around with cameras.

Beat them real bad at their video games. Like play them over and over and beat them bad and stunt and floss about how good you are and how much they suck and rub it in their face every time you win. 

For the dude with a heart condition, either make him learn an instrument or give him a camera and tell him to walk around the hood filming/shooting whatever the hell he wants. Kids love messing around with cameras.

Beat them real bad at their video games. Like play them over and over and beat them bad and stunt and floss about how good you are and how much they suck and rub it in their face every time you win. 

I would suggest allowing them some time on the videogames, after the get some exercise or go to the museum or something. Trying to take it away cold turkey is just cruel
laugh.gif

I would suggest allowing them some time on the videogames, after the get some exercise or go to the museum or something. Trying to take it away cold turkey is just cruel
laugh.gif

Why were they introduced to video games at such an early age? They should have been active in sports or other extracurricular activities like we were when we were children. I really don't understand how parents let video games act as the children's guardian and babysitter when they want time off from them or to get them to behave.

Why were they introduced to video games at such an early age? They should have been active in sports or other extracurricular activities like we were when we were children. I really don't understand how parents let video games act as the children's guardian and babysitter when they want time off from them or to get them to behave.

Boys will always be boys. Nonetheless, keep them busy. Take them out (movies, park, museum), have them participate in school events, or just play with them. Get involve with these kids lives. Seems like they need a new role-model. 

Boys will always be boys. Nonetheless, keep them busy. Take them out (movies, park, museum), have them participate in school events, or just play with them. Get involve with these kids lives. Seems like they need a new role-model. 

Back
Top Bottom