Serious Discussion: How to help my nephews Video Game Addiction

It's sad that the boys lost their dad at an early age, that is always tough. That being said, it would be good to get them engaged in something active. It seems like they use the games as a coping mechanism to deal with the loss, but I could be wrong. On another note, I'll be damned if my kid is going to make noise or act out because they can't get video games. If my kids did that to me, the next time they'd have video games is when they move out of my house. There is no room for that behavior. You sound like a decent uncle, I hope it works out man.

It's sad that the boys lost their dad at an early age, that is always tough. That being said, it would be good to get them engaged in something active. It seems like they use the games as a coping mechanism to deal with the loss, but I could be wrong. On another note, I'll be damned if my kid is going to make noise or act out because they can't get video games. If my kids did that to me, the next time they'd have video games is when they move out of my house. There is no room for that behavior. You sound like a decent uncle, I hope it works out man.

see heres the thing.. in order to be a well respected and i guess somewhat feared authority figure in children's lives. its something that must be installed at an early age.. In my family, everyone from my little brother, to my nieces in nephews know whos BOSS. and thats the grown ups. Why?? because its something Ive made sure they understood since they were young enough to understand anything.. MY dad left my house when my little brother was only 7.. at 7 years old. i gave my little brother one hell of a spanking when he had the nerve to yell at my mom.. never again has he even dared to raise her voice at her.. now in no way am i trying say that beating kids is ok.. theres plenty of ways to discipline children and every kid is different. but since that day, Ive never again have had to lay a hand on my lil bro.. however i made sure he understood why he got spanked, i made sure that he understood that in no circumstances whatsoever is it ok to talk back to my mother and that being disrespectful to anybody just wont be tolerated. Me and my lil bro have a great relationship because he respects me and all his elders and in return i make sure im the best big brother i can possibly be..

now since your nephews are alot older, i highly doubt hitting them will help.. especially if you've never done it before.. at 10,11 and 12. they're fully capablle of understanding whats wrong and whats right. maybe you should take them out for ice cream someday and let them know that from this point forward, unacceptable behavior will have consequences.. that disrespecting your sister (their mother) is completely wrong and will have major consequences. at the same time, kids kinda need to be rewarded for their good behavior.. maybe an allowance?? something that they can look forward to in return for good behavior.. but like i said, every child is different so your gonna need to take the time to figure out whats gonna work best.. sorry for the xtra long reply, hope it could be of some help.. best of luck to you my dude.. and one last thing.. with children. nothing is more important than PATIENCE. goodluck!

see heres the thing.. in order to be a well respected and i guess somewhat feared authority figure in children's lives. its something that must be installed at an early age.. In my family, everyone from my little brother, to my nieces in nephews know whos BOSS. and thats the grown ups. Why?? because its something Ive made sure they understood since they were young enough to understand anything.. MY dad left my house when my little brother was only 7.. at 7 years old. i gave my little brother one hell of a spanking when he had the nerve to yell at my mom.. never again has he even dared to raise her voice at her.. now in no way am i trying say that beating kids is ok.. theres plenty of ways to discipline children and every kid is different. but since that day, Ive never again have had to lay a hand on my lil bro.. however i made sure he understood why he got spanked, i made sure that he understood that in no circumstances whatsoever is it ok to talk back to my mother and that being disrespectful to anybody just wont be tolerated. Me and my lil bro have a great relationship because he respects me and all his elders and in return i make sure im the best big brother i can possibly be..

now since your nephews are alot older, i highly doubt hitting them will help.. especially if you've never done it before.. at 10,11 and 12. they're fully capablle of understanding whats wrong and whats right. maybe you should take them out for ice cream someday and let them know that from this point forward, unacceptable behavior will have consequences.. that disrespecting your sister (their mother) is completely wrong and will have major consequences. at the same time, kids kinda need to be rewarded for their good behavior.. maybe an allowance?? something that they can look forward to in return for good behavior.. but like i said, every child is different so your gonna need to take the time to figure out whats gonna work best.. sorry for the xtra long reply, hope it could be of some help.. best of luck to you my dude.. and one last thing.. with children. nothing is more important than PATIENCE. goodluck!

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by Furrell

Why were they introduced to video games at such an early age? They should have been active in sports or other extracurricular activities like we were when we were children. I really don't understand how parents let video games act as the children's guardian and babysitter when they want time off from them or to get them to behave.

Its all about balance. My little nephew for example loves fifa and little big planet but also plays basketball and is on the soccer team at school.

Nope, it has to be an extreme. Duh. Your nephew will be %%@!#$ up doing all these cool things in moderation...

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

Originally Posted by Furrell

Why were they introduced to video games at such an early age? They should have been active in sports or other extracurricular activities like we were when we were children. I really don't understand how parents let video games act as the children's guardian and babysitter when they want time off from them or to get them to behave.

Its all about balance. My little nephew for example loves fifa and little big planet but also plays basketball and is on the soccer team at school.

Nope, it has to be an extreme. Duh. Your nephew will be %%@!#$ up doing all these cool things in moderation...

4 boys 1 mom? Take away their video game system?

End well, this will not...

4 boys 1 mom? Take away their video game system?

End well, this will not...

Take them for an Ice cream!
smile.gif

you sound like youre on the right track, but when you sit down witht them start it off with tellin em how you know that they might just be kids, but you know their smart and understand whats going on around them even if a lot of other adults dont recognize it. Then talk to them about how you know its been tough for them, but also its been tough for their mom and thats why they need to do what they can to help her out, after all they love her right?

lil kids are smart enough to get that, for the most part, you know?

you sound like youre on the right track, but when you sit down witht them start it off with tellin em how you know that they might just be kids, but you know their smart and understand whats going on around them even if a lot of other adults dont recognize it. Then talk to them about how you know its been tough for them, but also its been tough for their mom and thats why they need to do what they can to help her out, after all they love her right?

lil kids are smart enough to get that, for the most part, you know?

try to sign these kids up for some sports teams, maybe some day camps, etc. i know it can be hard with a single parent and its a huge time commitment but if youre making this thread it means you care and are willing to dedicate to them, which is dope. i dunno man, i guess it's kinda up to you to be a father figure. take them to the park, to the zoo, to the lake, to the baseball field, to the gym, etc. show them how good of a time the outside is. these kids have tons of energy but kids are being raised with more and more screens in their faces. these kids are young too, so its not like they can just take themselves outside all the time. they might be stuck playing games cause they have no other options. do ur thang.

try to sign these kids up for some sports teams, maybe some day camps, etc. i know it can be hard with a single parent and its a huge time commitment but if youre making this thread it means you care and are willing to dedicate to them, which is dope. i dunno man, i guess it's kinda up to you to be a father figure. take them to the park, to the zoo, to the lake, to the baseball field, to the gym, etc. show them how good of a time the outside is. these kids have tons of energy but kids are being raised with more and more screens in their faces. these kids are young too, so its not like they can just take themselves outside all the time. they might be stuck playing games cause they have no other options. do ur thang.

Back
Top Bottom