Shipping to Canada Help

So I think I may have just taken a major L here. I sold an item on ebay a few weeks ago, and I always mention in the auction that I only ship domestic (within US). I end up selling to a dude in Canada anyway cuz I've been wanting to get the item off my hands for a while. I fill out the paperwork and pay for shipping at the UPS store. Everything seems fine and dandy until I get a call from the UPS store today telling me customs is charging me $100 in fees. Obviously I'm shocked. I contact the buyer and tell him whats up, but it turns out he's already received the package. So now my question is, can I just ignore the customs fee? Or am I taking a major loss here. I'm pretty sure if I ask buyer to pay up/chip in he'll just go MIA.

Cliffs:
- Sold an item off ebay to a guy in Canada
- Shipped via UPS
- Item got delivered
- I get hit with an additional $100 customs fee
- Can I ignore this or no?

IB4 the "shoulda done your research" response
tired.gif

not sure why you got hit with the customs fees, it's generally the buyer that gets hit... but never use UPS shipping to someone in Canada because of brokerage fees, use USPS, mark as a gift, and low value

That's on you fam. You didn't pay attention. UPS gives you the option to choose who pays the customs fee. I always ship international using Fedex. They're hands down the easiest company to deal with.

Yeah this isnt the buyers fault. He didnt scam you, you're the one who messed up. I've never heard of the shipper getting charged custom fees,

What was the item anyways?

First time I've heard of this. Usually all international shipments are C.O.D as far as "customs and fees" go. If you didn't give the ups store your CC number on the PSO you filled out, then you have two options:
1. Give the middle finger to the UPS Store owners (hand off the L) and ignore the hell out of them.

2. Take the L and pay the fees.

Oh yea, you should first try to figure out where you stand. There's a high possibility that the UPS store is already getting ready to eat up that $100 loss if they didn't cover their ***. If they never had you sign a PSO or you never gave them your CC number, they have no recourse basically but to keep on hounding you and calling you everyday to get that $100. At some point it won't be worth it to them anymore. Just don't plan on shipping there again. The real question is, what does that $100 mean to you? Keep in mind that the ups store is a franchise, I don't think they would take you to small claims court for $100 either.

Back
Top Bottom