Should sports athletes be considered role models?

All right I'm writing a argumentative essay for my final and this is the question I chose as my topic. This isn't really a hw help thread cause I'mnot really looking for any help more so just want to see how other people feel on the subject. So do you guys on NT feel athletes should be expected to be rolemodels? And do you think they make good or bad role models? Try to list reasons on your opinions so we can have a more in depth discussion on it. I want to seewhat the majority of people think and why

kids look up to their favorite athlete.
i guess that would make them role models
if they are good or bad all just depends on the person..

Originally Posted by ev209

But if you really think about it kids look up to everyone. So do you think athletes should have to go out of their way to kind of put on a fakepersona to seem like their better people then they actually are?

Yes.

They're in the public eye. Little kids idolize them.

I guess I wouldn't say it should be officially imposed, but a man should know who he inspires and utilize his influence for the better.

Sure but only the select few that stress to the youth that there are way more important things in life than sports. Anyone can be a role model, but the bestrole models are wise. Most athletes should not be considered role models.

No they should not. Should we consider their extreme abilities as athletes? yes. but not hold them as better human beings or people we should look up to

maybe idolize them for their work and work ethics.... personality is a different subject....

Athletes aren't role models.

They're athletes. If a kid looks up to an athlete as anything more than an athlete, maybe the parents arent' instilling any meaningful values...

Originally Posted by Wade187

But if you really think about it kids look up to everyone. So do you think athletes should have to go out of their way to kind of put on a fake persona to seem like their better people then they actually are?
i dont believe that kids look up to everyone. kids always want to dream of being just like an athlete and if that athlete portrays bad attributesthen thats sending the wrong message to that person. i do believe that athletes should at least carry themselves well in the public eye

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Well as long as their last name isn't Artest or Vick I don't see a problem.

indifferent.gif
smh.gif

But Chuck said it best

But if you really think about it kids look up to everyone. So do you think athletes should have to go out of their way to kind of put on a fake persona to seem like their better people then they actually are?
i dont believe that kids look up to everyone. kids always want to dream of being just like an athlete and if that athlete portrays bad attributes then thats sending the wrong message to that person. i do believe that athletes should at least carry themselves well in the public eye

Don't kids look up to musicians, and actors just as much? Kids look up to basically anyone famous. So why do people expect athletes to act any differentlythen other rich young famous people?

i dont believe that kids look up to everyone. kids always want to dream of being just like an athlete and if that athlete portrays bad attributes then thats sending the wrong message to that person. i do believe that athletes should at least carry themselves well in the public eye

Don't kids look up to musicians, and actors just as much? Kids look up to basically anyone famous. So why do people expect athletes to act any differently then other rich young famous people?
true they do look up to just about anyone famous i just see it as if you are famous and in the public eye at least carry yourself with the dignitythat people are looking up to you. not saying that they will..

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

Dikembe Mutombo
/Thread

Yeah I wrote about him, whats funny is that every essay I've read on the subject and out of all the articles I been reading on weather or not athletes makegood role models dude hasnt been brought up once. It seems that people don't really care about the athletes who do any good, or actually make a difference.All they pay attention to is the baby faced individuals who can sell products.

Don't kids look up to musicians, and actors just as much? Kids look up to basically anyone famous. So why do people expect athletes to act any differently then other rich young famous people?
true they do look up to just about anyone famous i just see it as if you are famous and in the public eye at least carry yourself with the dignity that people are looking up to you. not saying that they will..

See now I understand where you're coming from. It just seems to me that people hold athletes to higher expectations. Like when other celebritys mess up itsjust a celebrity being a celebrity but when an athlete makes the same mistake he's let down the whole nation.

i think thats because athletes get a lot more of i guess tv time than others.. therefore get held to higher expectations

Back
Top Bottom