Should we emphasize "Sub-Genres" of Hip Hop more?

I talk about this often with my business partner but don't you think we should have Sub-Genres in Hip Hop?
Most other types of music do a good at this except for Hip Hip. I think it's a huge reason why there's such disparity and unwarranted criticism. We hold every artist to the same standards unfairly. We clown Drake for being "soft"...but on the flip side we wouldn't clown an R&B artist for being "soft" because it's what's EXPECTED of their genre. But because Drake is a "rapper" we have this ridiculous notion that he should have type of edge or street appeal to him. If we recognized some sort of hybrid rap/r&b category and placed in him in it...would we still place those unfair "street cred" arguments upon him? Same with someone like Lil B...who for the most part is STRICTLY entertainment...but we still have people who hold him to the same standards as the typical rapper...therefore we hear those "worst rapper ever" comments. But...we go to movies to see actors like Will Ferrell and Steve Carrell do and say the most ridiculous !%$% because it's funny and it's normal. Why should Hip Hop be any different?

The same way I want to see comedies sometimes...action flicks sometimes....drama sometimes....is the same way we should view Hip Hop imo. Hip Hop "purists" shun Waka, Gucci, Gotti, etc., because they don't make music in the "pure essence of Hip Hop"...and they don't recognize the target audience. But if we recognized "Trap Rap"...it would be a little bit more easier to decipher the differences don't you think?

Isn't that segregating music more than it already is or should be? Hip hop is already dying a very slow death we don't need to beat it into the ground some more...

I've accepted that I just have a fluid personality and labels really don't mean that much to me.

If I like it, I like it.

Genre's are for the lazy, IMO.

That being said, OP, I agree with where you're trying to go with this, but ultimately it doesn't mean that much.

Music is a gray scale to me. There are few, if any, distinct definitions of what separates different sounding music.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

But...we go to movies to see actors like Will Ferrell and Steve Carrell do and say the most ridiculous !%$% because it's funny and it's normal. Why should Hip Hop be any different?

yo word I been saying Sheek Louch is Hip Hops Will Ferrell.

Originally Posted by LiquidCREAM

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

But...we go to movies to see actors like Will Ferrell and Steve Carrell do and say the most ridiculous !%$% because it's funny and it's normal. Why should Hip Hop be any different?

yo word I been saying Sheek Louch is Hip Hops Will Ferrell.
On that note,
Styles P > Jada

nerd.gif

i think sub-genres would help revitalize hip-hop...we're too boxed in...
damn near every other genre has radio stations dedicated to it's sub-genres...
why is it that in pretty much EVERY major market there are usually only TWO "urban" stations that play hip-hop AND r&b???
two completely different genres get condensed into only two stations? i think we should be offended, in all honesty...
i think it would help record sales as well...
its a shame it will never happen though...

They sure seem to be emphasized in electronic and rock music.

I agree with what Renzo is saying, im not sure how bringing more attention to sub genres would hurt rap as a whole though. If anything people who are already heavy into it already know what it is but for someone who isn't into the culture it may be easier for them to find something they like. In fact I feel the same way about electronic music. Knowing what genre a certain artist tends to be linked to has helped me find other music that I like.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by Renzo289

i think sub-genres would help revitalize hip-hop...we're too boxed in...
I agree completely. For awhile now, people have constantly been saying hip hop is "evolving" and "becoming more diverse", when it's actually becoming very watered
down. It also doesn't help that people not familiar (or don't really pay attention) with hip hop/rap always say blanket statements like "it all sounds the same". I mean, 

if you were to listen to a solo album from Scarface, Twiztid, Canibus, Young Jeezy, and Slum Village, could you really not tell the difference between any of the subject

matter and style?

I don't listen to Rock much, but I do know there's a pretty fair difference between Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, Mudvayne, Dashboard Confessional & Linkin Park. 

Actually having distinct categories in rap/hip hop is what originally made it appealing. Being able to hear something for the 1st time and being able to tell what region

or whatever it came from, that was actually a good thing. People claim that since hip hop is "broadening" and so accepting, when it's actually being diluted of what made

it intriguing in the first place. Everybody is literally sounding the same, no matter what state or country you come from in hip hop/rap. So no, that's not "segregating" music

at all, that makes truly different styles of hip hop available. 

One thing that has hurt rap/hip hop more than anything though is artists (and the record companies for that matter) making it painfully easy to do. We went from a time

where you had to work your way up truly perfecting your craft as a rapper and grinding, to making a youtube account, buying a cheap Casio keyboard, spitting

strugglebars over struggle beats and claiming you can rap.

***EDIT: Also, go to your nearing Best Buy and see if Game, Issac Hayes, Coffee Brothers, and Sade aren't all dumped in the same section. Pretty telling.

Don't see much of the the point I usually can tell the sub-genres apart and judge them from category to category but I don't have that many different set of standards for each.

My whole thing is there are ppl who like what they like so if you see somebody calling Drake soft like when Big Ghostface does it that's cuz they prefer a certain type of rap music. However, just cuz a rapper makes a certain kind of music doesn't mean it can't be criticized. I can like party music but point out bs in lyrics and just bad sounding songs that ppl love cuz a dance goes with it.

Back
Top Bottom