Sitting at work bored reading nt...

Originally, being from NYC, I hardly ever experienced racism. Maybe a few times when I was younger, but not anything harsh that remained with me throughout my life. I moved to Texas about 3 years ago, I've heard so many comments and seen people not give us the same service as they did the other customers.

This one time my father, stepbrother and I went out to eat at this small diner here in Texas. Father and I are Puerto Rican, stepbrother is black (light skin). The family before us got seated immediately, when the lady came back to seat us. She gave us one look and then walked away. We had to seat ourselves. We put it in the back of our heads thinking maybe she had something important to do. We looked back and saw her back at the door, gladly seating the next family. We were the only non-Caucasians in the entire diner. The girl who ended up serving us was a sweet young female, but she had to come from behind the bar to serve us. We were the only table being served by her, I'm assuming because she doesn't normally wait tables but no one else wanted to. Gave that girl a nice tip and never went back there again.

I know its not a harsh event, but it was definitely different. Wasn't use to it.

Back
Top Bottom