Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Artest is an idiot, out of everyone who could have opted out he seemed to be a no-brainer.
At 7mill he wasn't sacrificing millions of dollars, so he had nothing to lose, it would have been a win-win situation for him.

jack #+! could have had a good thing in LA, now hes gona wait untill 09 with all the NBA waiting and saving money untill 10!!!!

SAN ANTONIO -- Spurs guard Brent Barry opted out of his contract and became a free agent on Tuesday.

Barry was part of a February trade with Seattle that sent him, center Francisco Elson and a 2009 first-round draft pick to the SuperSonics in exchange for forward Kurt Thomas. Barry, 36, re-signed with the Spurs in March.

Barry, a career .407 3-point shooter, averaged 7.1 points in 31 games with the Spurs last season and 5.2 points during the playoffs.

Jacque Vaughn, 33, who has backed up point guard Tony Parker, exercised his option, meaning he'll be under contract with the Spurs through next season.

Free agents who were with the Spurs last season include forward Robert Horry, who will turn 38 in August and last week told a Houston television station that he wants to play a 17th season, 35-year-old guard Michael Finley and Thomas, who is also 35.
Rockets are expected to go after him.

Horry is 50/50 on coming back as well.

If the Rockets sign Barry, expect a trade from the Rockets this offseason, moving Head/expiring contracts.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

After seeing Elton Brand and Baron Davis unexpectedly put themselves on the free-agent market, Sacramento Kings forward Ron Artest is second-guessing himself for not doing the same.

Artest told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he wishes now he had opted for unrestricted free agency, like Brand and Davis, instead of electing to play out the final year of his contract with the Kings next season at $7.4 million.

Artest also conceded that his long-term future is likely not in Sacramento, saying via e-mail: "I don't see myself with [the] Kings beyond 2008-09.

"I think I made the biggest mistake by staying in my contract and I have to live with it," Artest said. "I had some misleading information [in making the] decision on not opting out. [But] I still thank G-d for all his blessings and being able to play basketball and help people."

Artest let his opportunity to become a free agent pass Monday as he had been vowing to do for weeks. The 28-year-old preferred to put off free agency until next summer, figuring that he'd likely only generate contract offers this summer starting at the mid-level exception -- which was $5.4 million last season -- and believing that a big 2008-09 season would increase his chances of securing a long-term deal from either the Kings or someone else.

Before announcing his decision, Artest said last week: "Even if I was to opt out, which probably won't happen, I will never accept a mid-level exception. So people trying to figure out possibilities should get that out of their heads."

But by declining to walk away from the final year of his current contract -- and thus surrendering the right to choose a new team -- Artest might actually have increased the likelihood that he winds up playing elsewhere between now and next February's trading deadline.

At what amounts to an expiring contract valued at less than $8 million, Artest has a very tradeable salary in spite of any concerns about his controversial past.

The Kings seriously explored the market for Artest at the February trading deadline, most notably in talks with the Denver Nuggets.

The Los Angeles Lakers have been widely expected to revisit past trade interest in Artest, given Artest's friendship with Lakers star Kobe Bryant and after L.A.'s toughness and defense were subjected to heavily criticism during the NBA Finals. It's also presumed that Lakers coach Phil Jackson would be an ideal boss for the mercurial swingman, but trades between teams from the same division -- especially teams that have the contentious history that the Lakers and Kings share -- are always complicated.

The Kings far exceeded most preseason forecasts by posting a 38-44 record under rookie coach Reggie Theus. Artest had one his best statistical seasons -- averaging 20.5 points, 5.8 rebounds and 3.5 assists in 57 games -- and has claimed often that the Kings would have been right there with the eight 50-win teams in the West if not for the injuries suffered by leading scorer Kevin Martin and ex-Kings guard Mike Bibby as well as the 25 games Artest lost to injury and suspension. Artest missed the first seven games of the season serving a seven-game league ban after a no-contest plea to infliction of injury on his wife.

That was the latest transgression in a career full of missteps -- a list that most notably includes Artest's suspension for the remainder of the season for his role in the infamous Detroit Pistons-Indiana Pacers brawl in November 2004 -- but Artest has been actively working to address doubts about his reliability. He is heavily involved with the NBA Players Association's humanitarian efforts in Africa and elsewhere abroad, signed on this season as a spokesman for PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) and has volunteered in recent weeks to do television work for the WNBA's Sacramento Monarchs, who are likewise operated by Kings owners Joe and Gavin Maloof.

Artest also unsuccessfully reached out to USA Basketball officials earlier this month in a bid to convince them to consider him as an 11th-hour candidate for this summer's China-bound Olympic team.

"My basketball skill and my character and community work speaks for itself," Artest said. "I believe in them and believe it can work for an organization."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469895

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

mad.gif

tmax.gif

I told ya'll Artest was a loser. Dude stays put for 7 mill instead of getting a MLE at 5 mil and trying to actually win in the NBA.

Not sure what else you call that.

Yea but now hes gone get traded at midseason and make 2 million dollars more than he would have made. Or he can pressure the team into trading him, but herespects the kings for giving him a third chance and that prob wouldnt happen.

Originally Posted by gangsta207therevolution

Yea but now hes gone get traded at midseason and make 2 million dollars more than he would have made. Or he can pressure the team into trading him, but he respects the kings for giving him a third chance and that prob wouldnt happen.

but now he has the chance to get traded to some team like milwaukee or some garbage city like that

what a moron

Artest Regrets Not Opting Out
Jul 01, 2008 7:51 PM EST

Artest_Ron_sac.jpg
Instead of electing to play out thefinal year of his contract with the Kings next season at $7.4 million, Ron Artest told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he wishes now he had opted for unrestrictedfree agency.

Artest also revealed via e-mail that he doesn't believe he'll be in Sacramento longterm, saying, "I don't see myself with [the] Kingsbeyond 2008-09.

"I think I made the biggest mistake by staying in my contract and I have to live with it," Artest said. "I had some misleading information[in making the] decision on not opting out. [But] I still thank G-d for all his blessings and being able to play basketball and help people."

this dude is something else
smh.gif
laugh.gif
smh.gif

there were signs back in 2005...

20050924-2_4p092405kj-0076jpg-515h.jpg

Golden State Warrior Baron Davis, left, and Phoenix Mercury guard Diana Taurasi, right, present Laura Bush
with a basketball jersey at the National Book Festival Author's breakfast in the East Room Saturday, Sept. 24,
2005. White House photo by Krisanne Johnson

Link

link

HOUSTON -- Free agent guard Gerald Green has agreed to a one-year contract with the Dallas Mavericks. Green, a first round pick of the Boston Celtics in 2005, was part of the trade that sent Kevin Garnett from Minnesota to Boston. The Timberwolves traded Green to Houston last season. He played in one game for his home town team before being released.

Green was the NBA Slam-Dunk Champion at the 2007 All-Star Game.

"We have a verbal agreement with Dallas on a one year contract," said Colin Bryant, Green's agent in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "We talked to a number of teams and there is more money out there, but this is the best situation for Gerald at this point in his career."

Green went from high school to the NBA. He played at Gulf Shores Academy in Houston.

Bryant believes the Mavericks coaching staff can help Green build a solid foundation.

"With (Head) Coach (Rick) Carlisle and Mario Elie, they will be vital to Gerald's development," Bryant said. "Playing for the Mavericks will help elevate his game."

Elie is a Mavericks assistant coach.

In three years in the NBA Green has averaged 8.1 points and 1.8 rebounds a game.

wait Artest was only going to leave 7 million on the table and didnt opt out? DUDE IS A %%#*%+% IDIOT

good signing for Dallas. Green isnt that bad of a player...just needed some guidance...maybe Carlisle will help him out. good for him

Don't know if it's been posted

[h1]Calderon says he's reached agreement on new Raptors deal[/h1]
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 1, 2008, 4:16 PM ET

Happy Canada Day indeed. Point guard Jose Calderon will remain a Toronto Raptor. The restricted free agent said so himself Tuesday.

"Early this morning, through my agents, I reached a preliminary agreement with the Toronto Raptors," Calderon said in a message posted on his Web site. "I want to thank [Raptors president and general manager] Bryan Colangelo, [assistant GM] Maurizio Gherardini, [coach] Sam Mitchell and all of the Raptors family for the confidence that they have placed in me.

"I am sure that together we are going to achieve big things in the future."

Calderon, who was in Madrid on Tuesday to meet with his Spain teammates ahead of the Olympic Games, declined to give details of the contract, but NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Raptors have also struck verbal agreements to sign Croatian guard Roko Ukic, whom they drafted in 2005, and former New Jersey Nets draftee Hassan Adams along with Calderon after the moratorium is lifted.

As of 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning, NBA teams were permitted to commence negotiations and strike verbal agreements with free agents, with actual signings and trades on hold until a leaguewide moratorium is lifted July 9.

Calderon averaged 11.2 points and 8.3 assists per game last year, when he split starting duties with T.J. Ford. But the path for him to be the full-time starter was cleared last week when the Raptors and Indiana Pacers agreed to a trade of six-time All-Star forward Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for Ford, center Rasho Nesterovic and the 17th pick in the draft (which turned out to be Georgetown center Roy Hibbert).

The Raptors also received the 41st pick from the Pacers -- 6-foot-10 Australian Nathan Jawai -- and Indiana received Raptors forward Maceo Baston to complete the trade.

Information from ESPN.com senior writer Marc Stein was used in this report

Good move by the Raptors
Now that Ford is gone, I can't wait to see what Calderon does by himself
pimp.gif

the mavs made a smart move....if green can step up his work ethic and basketball IQ he'd be a great addition to the mavs. low risk possible high reward foran aging mavs team.

YES! An athletic perimeter player...

Gerald could be a great fit with Jason Kidd...

Corey Maggette to the Spurs?

The San Antonio Spurs have targeted Corey Maggette and are the front-runners to sign the Los Angeles Clippers' free agent forward, multiple league sources saidTuesday night.

While no deal was imminent, Maggette would be expected to sign a multi-year deal for the mid-level exception, a move that would fulfill the Spurs'desperate need for perimeter athleticism and scoring. Maggette would be leaving the Clippers, just as the team came to an agreement with Golden State freeagent Baron Davis on a contract. With so much sudden salary capspace, the Warriors could be a threat to swoop in and take Maggette for themselves. The Boston Celtics have also shown serious interest in Maggette.

Another team with salary cap room, the Philadelphia 76ers, willpresent Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith an offer sheet on Wednesday when he visits with Sixers generalmanager Ed Stefanski in Philadelphia, two league sources said.

The Spurs struggled to generate points in the Western Conference finals against the Los Angeles Lakers and believe Maggette could make a dramatic impact as acomplement to Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers,who expect now to quickly re-sign free agent Elton Brand.

The Spurs had targeted Maggette as an explosive offensive addition to an offense that struggled to generate points in the Western Conference finals againstthe Los Angeles Lakers. Maggette averaged 22.1 points and 5.6 rebounds for the Clippers, who expect now to quickly re-sign free agent Elton Brand.

Maggette, 28, opted out of his contract with the Clippers on Monday, along with Brand. He had hopes of returning to the Orlando Magic, but the Spurs, who have an interest in Denver restricted freeagent J.R. Smith and Detroit free agent Jarvis Hayes, made an aggressive push in the last 24 hours to sell Maggetteon playing an important part in restoring them to a championship team.

"He's going to take a lot of the offensive load off (Manu) Ginobili, but (Spurs coach Gregg) Popovich will have to hide him defensively on thefloor," a Western Conference scout said Tuesday night.

Maggette can sign on July 9, once the NBA's moratorium on free agents is lifted.

If I'm Cuban and Donnie Nelson, I'm putting up the full MLE for either Corey Maggette or JR Smith...

If you can find a way to sign and trade for Diop, great. If not, oh well...

Spend that MLE on the most explosive perimeter guy you can find.

was just dropping my daughter off at her moms and I was listening to Scott Ferrell on Sirius and they were talkin about the rockets offering Vujacic a 5 yr $25million deal anybody heard any rumors of that or a story or link or anything?

Back
Top Bottom