SMART Gilas Pilipinas Nat'l Team Program

Gilas on their way to the semis!!! 1st time in the last 24 years!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
This team is amazing!

2011 FIBA Asia Championship Quarterfinals
Smart Gilas Pilipinas vs Chinese-Taipei
Wuhan, China

Philippines defeats Chinese-Taipei, 95-78

Game Highlights:
- Marcus Douthit led Smart Gilas with 37 points
- Ranidel de Ocampo had a great game with 18 points
- With Jordan upsetting Iran in the other game earlier, Philippines will now face Jordan in the semifinals tomorrow
- Chinese-Taipei led in the 1st quarter 23-19 and most of the 2nd quarter but Smart Gilas came back at the end of the 2nd quarter to take the lead at halftime, 45-42
- Japeth Aguilar and Mac Baracael did not play this game

Game Scores:
Philippines 95 – Douthit 37, de Ocampo 18, Lassiter 13, Casio 8, Alapag 8, Taulava 4, Tiu 4, Williams 1, Barroca 0, Lutz 0.

"Monster" Douthit! nice.. those Talk n Text reinforcements are a really big help for us, Ranidel, Jimmy and Kelly FTW!
Go for the Gold! Gilas Pilipinas!

Schedule

FIBA Asia 2011 Semi-Finals (September 24)
Semis#1: (3:30pm) Jordan vs. Philippines
Semis#2: (8:00pm) Korea vs. China
5th-8th placing: (1:30pm) Iran vs. Taipei
5th-8th placing: (6:00pm) Japan vs. Lebanon

Team was playing real well throughout the tournament but some days you just don't have it. Jordan came off a great win against a favored Iranian team, so they had momentum. Still proud of the way this team played.

Originally Posted by dencio31617

4th place aint bad.

Agree! We improved a lot and good news is there is still a lot of improvement for our Gilas squad, hope we maintain the squad even if they play for the PBA..
and also, mane, I'd love to see JWash suit up for Gilas.. 
pimp.gif

at least the team created awareness...
imo, the philippines is back in asia/world bball, and hopefully, we can make it in 2016 to the olympics.
congrats to gilas and thank you!

Although a 4th Place Finish ain't bad, I still feel for Asi since this was the last time he'd a shot for an Asian medal. Plus a chance to play other powerhouse teams in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Olsen couldn't say anything about those free throws after commentating on the game.
tongue.gif
Busan's Ghost still haunts us.
ohwell.gif

^ bro correct me if I'm wrong. its Olsen who missed 2 impt free throws before in an asian games/Fiba right?

Originally Posted by emiaj12

^ bro correct me if I'm wrong. its Olsen who missed 2 impt free throws before in an asian games/Fiba right?
Yep. It was 2002 Busan Asian Games. We lead by 1 with only a few seconds remaining when Olsen missed 2 free throws then Korea made a buzzer-beating 3 point shot that sent them to the Gold medal game which they eventually won over the Yao Ming led China team in OT. We then lost to a young Kazakhstan team in the Bronze medal game.
tired.gif

China won by only 1 pt against jordan. I think the Smart team is much better than Korea and even Jordan. Breaks of the game, and probably needs a bit more exposure, composure and experience to win in 'pressure packed' situations? I thought Kelly Williams would be above it though being used to playing in a professional league. But it's probably really different when you're in THAT situation. Oh well. heart breaking. Racela must have wished he hadn't agreed to be a commentator. It's like reliving a 'ghost of Asian game's' past as @soul228 said.

Back
Top Bottom