Snowboarders Please Enter..

lib tech is my next board. but as a beginner, its OD $$. no point is speinding 700-1k for a board when u just starting off right?

Agreed. As a beginner, the brand and performance may not matter until you're actually good enough to tell the difference. ESPECIALLY, if you haven't learned to carve yet. I wouldn't drop any more than $500 for board & bindings. You can get last seasons gear for fairly cheap in all kinds of brands. so you can actually save money that way and get some of the good stuff from last year.

For someone your size and weight, that seems like an okay length. As stated, you could go shorter for more control. I'm 5.7" and about 175 and I ride a 155 Burton Bullet with Mission bindings.

One thing I would definitely NOT cheap out on, are boots. Boots make so much more difference. Nike, Burton and K2 make some pretty good ones. If you're too lazy to tie em up, K2 has Boa lacing systems.

Sreggie, never ever drop 7-1000 on a board unless you're trying to go pro and even then I wouldn't do it lol. That is just for the cool cats on the slopes who say look I have the newest and most expensive gear. 

Again like I said in that post you can get last years or 2 years ago and it'll be great. Especially now that '14 have dropped, last years models are like 200-250. 

But then again I don't know where you guys are riding, cause if you're a beginner you are mostly riding the slopes and not jibs and rails so you're not likely to break or crack boards in either case and it'll last you longer till you start to experiment with other stuff. 

Also makes a difference if you're riding fresh powder or man made snow which is hard as rocks. Some boards hold up better than others in those conditions. If you ride fresh pow then any board would be fine

Last edited:
Ok thx for the help guys.

Here's what i'm gonna buy.

156 Forum Destroyer Doubledog Wide

K2 BOA boots

Union Force bindings.

I'm gonna be in man made snow.

Hopefully this forum board is nice. I like the pic on it

Last edited:

Sreggie, never ever drop 7-1000 on a board unless you're trying to go pro and even then I wouldn't do it lol. That is just for the cool cats on the slopes who say look I have the newest and most expensive gear. 

Again like I said in that post you can get last years or 2 years ago and it'll be great. Especially now that '14 have dropped, last years models are like 200-250. 

But then again I don't know where you guys are riding, cause if you're a beginner you are mostly riding the slopes and not jibs and rails so you're not likely to break or crack boards in either case and it'll last you longer till you start to experiment with other stuff. 

Also makes a difference if you're riding fresh powder or man made snow which is hard as rocks. Some boards hold up better than others in those conditions. If you ride fresh pow then any board would be fine
Man, just thinking about riding fresh pow is getting me excited to boarding season. 

@CertifiedFlyBoi23...Before you cop, you might want to see if you can try on those boots in store. Usually with snowboard boots you want them to be snug to start since they'll pack out during the season. It could be different for some people, but I normally wear a 11/11.5 in sneakers, but sized down to a 10.5/11 in boots

Shameless plug but check out this new streetwear brand for snowboarders & skiers- Powder High Apparel

One thing I would definitely NOT cheap out on, are boots. Boots make so much more difference. Nike, Burton and K2 make some pretty good ones. If you're too lazy to tie em up, K2 has Boa lacing systems.

Look into ThirtyTwo boots also. Lightweight and comfortable. Some of their boots have a quick lacing system, but not as quick as BOA.

Last edited:
I would splurge on boots and gloves, essential to having a good time.

If those suck they will quickly ruin your day.

Pretty good choices. HOWEVER. If you are looking to get into this sport and know you'll like it, i HIGHLY suggest getting better boots. Something with mid to high stiffness, and with an orignal price of 200 or higher. Boots at the pricepoint you have picked out will not perform or hold up the way you want. Boots are easily THE MOST important component of your setup. DO NOT EVER SKIMP on boots. Skimp on the board, skimp on the bindings, BUT NEVER SKIMP ON BOOTS. Spend money on boots. The comfort and performance you derive from better boots will make the entire setup, and your experience....MUCH BETTER. I've been riding for 15 seasons.

You'll just end up buying better boots because you'll quickly get over your cheap boots and want something better. So while you thought you were saving money, you'll just end up spending more. You have the right idea. Buy everythign on sale, last years product. So spend atleast 50 more dollars on boots. In the grand total, that 50 bucks is small, but will go a LONG way.

Last edited:

Man, just thinking about riding fresh pow is getting me excited to boarding season. 

:lol: i kno that feel bro

yea i hear you b. its a fair point. problem is so many boards are designed by...idk the worst graphic designers alive. for example last year burton didn't have a single board that looked fly. hell even they're Love series boards were booty, mainly because it didn't show any booty :smh: FOH with these hot topic broads.

in Jan my boy broke out his new lib tech. the design was :x :wow: :pimp: and light as ****. don't get me wrong, the price is :x

no point in buying a board you don't like aesthetically right?

Ok so I finally bought my gear. Here's what I got.

Forum Doubledog Destroyer 156w

2013 Ultra Force bindings

K2 Raider boots w/ shred soles.

If the boots start to hurt then I will upgrade the boot.

Thx for the help guys.

I would go for a bigger board than a 156, probably 158-162 for an all around beginner deck. But you being in AZ I doubt you guys get much fresh snow days so a 156 might work out.

Union Force's are a good choice of bindings. I have been riding them the past 4 years. This year I will likely make a switch to the Contact Pros though to try out the mini disc and I want something that as more flex for once.

For a board what type of riding are you going to be doing? Have to think about board shapes and profiles, rocker, camber, hybrid? I have riding for about 12 years now and my daily board last year and again this year will be a Capita DOA. Perfect board since I love camber but want a little bit more looseness at the contact points. Also at 11.5 boots you might want to think about a wider board.

For boots try as many on as you can, and then more. People can refer you boots but everyone's feet are different and what works for one isn't always going to work for the next person. Boots are going to be the most important piece of equipment. And you want to buy them and them be tight on your foot. If they are comfy in store, likely they will pack out to much after riding in them a few days.

I missed this thread. Catching up...

I wear an 11.5 too, definitely go with a wide board. You're probably good with a 158-160. I agree with Lib Tech praise, I'm got one with Magne Traction. Comfortable well-fitting boots are extremely important, probably more than everything else. You can ride on a so-so subpar board (if it's tuned) but you'll be miserable with ****** boots.

Look for gear from last year for good deals.

Last edited:
 You'll just end up buying better boots because you'll quickly get over your cheap boots and want something better. So while you thought you were saving money, you'll just end up spending more. You have the right idea. Buy everythign on sale, last years product. So spend atleast 50 more dollars on boots. In the grand total, that 50 bucks is small, but will go a LONG way.
QFT. make your boots last. been going for about 12 years myself. I ride a pretty old Ride board sized 158 I believe, I'm 6'2 160lbs and its a smaller board to control better fro me love it. My bro has a Lib Tech and it is wondrous of course, like a big bro he'll probably just give it to me, he doesn't really go anymore. bindings wise I think their flex bindings of different colors. Nike boots were my latest addition and plan on keeping those for a long time. i think they're from the same year as illmatickal's nike boot line.

<---- my board

Last edited:
Good luck with Nike boots lasting you a long time. While I may go with another pair this year my Kaijus broke down way faster than any boot I've had previously. The Endors and Zoom Force 1s should hold up better though since they are a stiffer boot.

certifiedflyboi23 certifiedflyboi23 Check out the waterproofing. The higher the mm the better. I think with pants and jackets its all personal preference, but def make sure to take a look at the mm. You also might want to take into consideration how breathable it is.

We should probably just have this be the Official Snowboarding thread.

Let's see what everyone's setup is like. Here's mine:

Arbor Draft 153
Flux Bindings DS30
Nike Zoom Kaiju boots (Jordan 3 inspired)

QFT. make your boots last. been going for about 12 years myself. I ride a pretty old Ride board sized 158 I believe, I'm 6'2 160lbs and its a smaller board to control better fro me love it. My bro has a Lib Tech and it is wondrous of course, like a big bro he'll probably just give it to me, he doesn't really go anymore. bindings wise I think their flex bindings of different colors. Nike boots were my latest addition and plan on keeping those for a long time. i think they're from the same year as illmatickal's nike boot line.

Sick bindings!!!
Anyways my set up currently is
Lib tech skate banana btx wide
Union force bindings
Nike zoom force one

nice, i got a similar setup.

LibTech Skate Banana
Burton Cartels
Nike Kaijus

Big bear been really messing up my board so might look to upgrade after this season. What's the newest one that's similar to the Skate Banana?

nice, i got a similar setup.

LibTech Skate Banana
Burton Cartels
Nike Kaijus

Big bear been really messing up my board so might look to upgrade after this season. What's the newest one that's similar to the Skate Banana?

what do you mean your board has been messing up? how long have you had it...im just curious because this is a brand new set up for this season, i had a burton set up previously for 7 seasons and its held up...i was hoping the lib tech skate banana will last me a long time...

This video is pretty good but I'll add some things

2:15 the disc is where people have said here and myself i think, where Burton has a monoploy so to speak, their boards have different hole patterns as well as their discs, forcing you to stay with burton, this video's disc to 2 straight empty rows for the nuts and bolts, Burton to keep Burton with Burton will have Jesus cross disc patterns to go with Jesus cross hole patterns on their boards.

2:40 You can see 2 rows of 6 blue holes. when youre starting out, like this happened to me the guy at the shop did mine dead center pointing 90* to the board. which his fine for beginners to first get a feel of it. ( |   | )

3:14 You can see the guy Looking at disc with the bindings because he is lining the disc up with the binding. on the binding along with the disc there are has marks that have numbers next to it every so often with degree numbers, they usually go by 3's so 3, 6, 9, etc etc. he said to start at 15+ which is outward, negative is inward making you look bowlegged should you want that.

3:27 0 (zero) degree means your back foot is facing straight ahead or perpendicular (90 degrees) to the board the end result has his feet looking like this ( \   | ) on the board with left foot forward

Once your good or feel experienced enough you can p[lay around with your settings, I think I'm at a (18+, 15+) the first number is always your front foot, mine is my right making me goofy making me look ( \   / ) and I chose the farthest holes on both ends.. when the X games happen the announcers will post the Pros settings and some are crazy. I think Shaun Whites settings like 2 X games ago was like +27 +30, they know what they're doing though
laugh.gif

Id add more but I gotta leave work. hope this helps

depends on how you do toeside. id have to see what you're doing wrong, but the way id describe it is if you are moving, lean toeside to move in that direction. you aren't trying to michael jackson but use the toe side edge to carve. also your back leg should be pushing while your front should be leading with the carve if that makes sense...

toeside1.jpg

toeside2.jpg

once you get it, its like ordering pizza. you'll snowboard like a boss and get da yambs b

Last edited:
depends on how you do toeside. id have to see what you're doing wrong, but the way id describe it is if you are moving, lean toeside to move in that direction. you aren't trying to michael jackson but use the toe side edge to carve. also your back leg should be pushing while your front should be leading with the carve if that makes sense...

toeside1.jpg

toeside2.jpg

once you get it, its like ordering pizza. you'll snowboard like a boss and get da yambs b

:lol:

If it were only as simple as that pic.

I can toe/heel slide pretty well myself. I can't carve it up and make S's when I snowboard. I always end up doing one of three things when I try and turn toe side; 1) my board goes perpendicular with the direction i wanna go and I toe slide down the mountain 2) I do a 180 and now am facing in the opposite direction 3) I fall on my face :smh:

Back
Top Bottom