So At What Point On The Timeline Did Hip-Hop/Rap Culture Become "Pop."

Diego Influenced Edit
Music, way of life, style, fashion etc.
At what point did this become a mainstream thing? I remember growing up and it being separate from the rest of the world. Now it is practically embedded into society without any filter. Do you think "they" just said if you can't beat them join them?

Was it the success/admiration for Eminem that kind of pushed it forward?

Music especially. I was watching the trailer for that Ice T doc about Hip Hop and it had me thinking about it.

Please do not turn this into a race riot.

Just wondering everyone's thoughts.

1982 Billie Jean, wasn't his lover, just some JO who claimed he was the one. 
nah but forreal pop has been part of black culture since the late 70s, early 80s. I don't know $@% these rappers talmbout. 

I would say during the 70s
edit: This answer is for the original post before DC edited this thread

Really? You all think you can trace it back to the 70s? In my opinion black culture and the rest of the world weren't one. It was still like a secret as to what happens there. Now it is out in the open. I mean even the hearings that were trying to put an end to West Coast rap in the early 90s says to me that it wasn't part of society yet.

And Michael Jackson is a superstar that transcended cultural differences. He can't count.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Really? You all think you can trace it back to the 70s? In my opinion black culture and the rest of the world weren't one. It was still like a secret as to what happens there. Now it is out in the open. I mean even the hearings that were trying to put an end to West Coast rap in the early 90s says to me that it wasn't part of society yet.

And Michael Jackson is a superstar that transcended cultural differences. He can't count.
But see, he has to. He opened the door for SOOOOO many other black artists, pop or not. This is all on him bruh. 
laugh.gif
 He started this. 
Everyone from Prince and Whitney Houston to Kanye West, he's influenced. 
laugh.gif
 He did this!

Black culture has been part of mainstream society for decades.

I think your confusion is that when you say black culture you really seem to only have Hip Hop/Rap culture in mind...and really thats a completely different topic.

Our culture has been getting exploited for years, dating back to the 40's 50's and 60's. Our culture, style, and hipness is of envy. But no one wants the problems black people have to deal with. Even our skin color, the shape of our women, the fullness of our lips, our cheek bones, are all of envy of other races.

1986 -Run DMC/Aerosmith -MTV

That's just my personal memory ...then stuff like LL, Neneh Cherry, Salt N' Pepa etc were all big pop charts successes.

My understanding of the question is when did the sideshow/minstrel aspect start to outshine the true essence of the art.
When did people start doing anything to get rich and famous rather than doing it just to do it out of the love.
- I cant think of any Cornball rappers before the MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice Era, but that may be due to my age...... there might be an older old head that can supply one before they came about.

More speficially, when did all of these RnB singers sell-out?

Ne-yo, Chris Brown, Rihanna, Usher are these clowns serious. I literally watched 12 videos straight of fist pumping non-sense

Its cyclical, hip-hop was pretty pop at the beginning of the 90's, and the beginning of the 00's too if you dont recall.

that being said, we need that real %@#% back

Originally Posted by solarius49

that being said, we need that real %@#% back

*yawn*

...'real' HH and R&B is still out there if you know where to look. turn off the radio for one thing.

....to add:

...you wanna know how to get that 'real' back? simple. support it. ive seen chicks go out and BUY a cd for ONE song, and bootleg an album they LOVE. makes no business sense at all.

...ive seen females complain about misogynistic and raunchy lyrics in HH, yet are too lazy to seek out the HH that they DO like. with dead serious answers like "no one has time to look for that"
laugh.gif

...ive seen males complain about HH not being relevant to them in their 30's with all of the bragging and whatnot, yet when they're introduced to HH that speaks to the current issues of their age they call it corny.

Aerosmith+Run+DMC.jpg

/thread

And for those saying we need to get HipHop back...not happening.
Music is a universal language that people will speak through no matter what color their skin is.
What does need to happen is for people realize that HipHop music has grown beyond the one type of New York sound.
Recognizing the many categories of HipHop will clear up a bunch of this "we need the real" talk.
Support the artists that you like so that they have the support to keep putting out the music that you like.

Back
Top Bottom