So At What Point On The Timeline Did Hip-Hop/Rap Culture Become "Pop."

I haven't heard one good hip hop album after The Cool dropped. I know a bunch of idiots are gonna come in and say "what about Watch the Throne and those Rick Ross albums" 
indifferent.gif
. Can't stand 99% of this currently garbage genre, so it's strictly 90's for me. 
And no, I'm not on that "real hip hop
frown.gif
" nonsense either. Gave up on "underground music" after 10th grade cause I couldn't stand boring music anymore. I love ignorant @#$@ for comedic purposes (Birdman>>>>>>anyone else), but it's not like I can listen to an entire album of it 
laugh.gif

Problem with hip hop is these garbage @#$ rappers like Drake, Wayne, Minaj, Tyga, Big Sean spitting BAR AFTER BAR of pure horse @#$% and getting worshipped by hoodrats and sorority chicks. 

Waka and Birdman don't claim to be real rappers so they get a pass 
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HOVKid

Honestly, I don't even understand what rap music is anymore.  When Run DMC - Raising Hell came out we used to sit on the schoolbus in like 6th grade listening to it.  I've lived through Wu-Tang, Kool G Rap, Mobb Deep, DMX, Tupac, Biggie, Jay-Z, 2 Live Crew, NWA, Dr. Dre, EMINEM, Snnop, Ice T, Ice Cube.  Everything.

What the hell is a Wiz Kalifa and I seen some MTV awards show or something when that dude Drake was up for Rapper of the year.  That dude is an R&B guy, no?

There is no such thing as new rap music.  If there is, I certainly haven't heard it.  Jay-Z is pretty much the only rapper I still hear new things from. 

$+$@ doesn't bother me one way or another....this new rap ain't aimed for dudes longing for the days of Illmatic and Enter the 36 Chambers.  And you know what?  I'm fine with that. 

Guys like Jay-Z and Kanye are WELL established.  They're at the point where they can experiment and it won't hurt their pockets.  They got LOYAL fans.  Guys like Pitbull, Flo-Rida, etc KNOW their lane and understand what it takes in today's market to put money in their pockets.  Their following is due to their tracks serving a purpse.  It's fun music.  Not timeless, but fun for the moment.  We're not going to look back in 20 years and remember Pitbull saying "take a picture of that w. a Kodak." 
laugh.gif

I'm not mad at the current state of rap music.  As cliched as it sounds...it is what it is.  Might just be my age...or my tastes changing, but I'm more than content with listening to my old school favorites while exploring other genres outside of hip-hop.  There is some GREAT music out there if you're willing to have open ears and explore a bit. 

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

Our culture has been getting exploited for years, dating back to the 40's 50's and 60's. Our culture, style, and hipness is of envy. But no one wants the problems black people have to deal with. Even our skin color, the shape of our women, the fullness of our lips, our cheek bones, are all of envy of other races.

[Paul mooney voice] everybody wanna be a ninja but nobody wanna be a ninja[/Paul mooney voice]

Guys, I hate to break this to you, but you're just getting old.  Styles change.  Music changes.  The younger generation is always going to like the new and the older guys are always going to revere what they heard when they were young.  You like what you liked when you were young and impressionable.  Take it from my old +@@, you guys are just getting old.  I remember when I INTRODUCED Michael Jackson to my father.  He thought he was good. Now ask him if he thinks he is better than Sam Cooke, or Al Green.  Same thing with my mother.  She thought he was good.  Now ask her if she thinks he's better than James Brown.  It's all relative.  Rap for me has been downhill since Run DMC, PE, and NWA ceased being relevant.  Yep, I'm old and I know it
roll.gif

I don't buy that age crap at all. I grew up on this culture and though I have expanded my genres; Hip-Hop will always be my first love. For those who use that "mainstream" argument, ask yourself this. When you first heard the group that made you a fan, how did you hear that first album? With the advent of the internet it's actually a lot easier to find new artist. I grew up my entire life in Detroit and when I was coming up it took a while from stuff in NY to make it our way. I stayed diggin over all these years. For the older heads who are my age, look below. These artist were in kindergarten when we graduated high school. Good music is out there, put some effort into it.

Originally Posted by SFC415

I haven't heard one good hip hop album after The Cool dropped. I know a bunch of idiots are gonna come in and say "what about Watch the Throne and those Rick Ross albums" 
indifferent.gif
. Can't stand 99% of this currently garbage genre, so it's strictly 90's for me. 
frown.gif
" nonsense either. Gave up on "underground music" after 10th grade cause I couldn't stand boring music anymore. I love ignorant @#$@ for comedic purposes (Birdman>>>>>>anyone else), but it's not like I can listen to an entire album of it 
laugh.gif

Problem with hip hop is these garbage @#$ rappers like Drake, Wayne, Minaj, Tyga, Big Sean spitting BAR AFTER BAR of pure horse @#$% and getting worshipped by hoodrats and sorority chicks. 

Waka and Birdman don't claim to be real rappers so they get a pass 
laugh.gif

pimp.gif
da irony is they actually live what they spit which is why its respected.

Originally Posted by Supermanblue79

Aerosmith+Run+DMC.jpg

/thread

And for those saying we need to get HipHop back...not happening.
Music is a universal language that people will speak through no matter what color their skin is.
What does need to happen is for people realize that HipHop music has grown beyond the one type of New York sound.
Recognizing the many categories of HipHop will clear up a bunch of this "we need the real" talk.
Support the artists that you like so that they have the support to keep putting out the music that you like.

Couldn't have put it any better than this.

Originally Posted by mYToAsterspeak

Our culture has been getting exploited for years, dating back to the 40's 50's and 60's. Our culture, style, and hipness is of envy. But no one wants the problems black people have to deal with. Even our skin color, the shape of our women, the fullness of our lips, our cheek bones, are all of envy of other races.

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

I shouldn't even be surprised at comments like these, since NT is the home of hypocritical racists. "White people want us to look like them, the white devil makes us hate what we look like 
30t6p3b.gif
" and now it's "Our appearance (as if there aren't countless different types of black people in the world) is the envy of all races
pimp.gif
". Say what you want but at least make up your mind, and please stop bringing up irrelevant @#$% to answer OP's question. White people didn't hold a gun to Wayne's head and force him to become an embarrassment to the human race.

Originally Posted by SFC415

indifferent.gif
frown.gif
laugh.gif

See, the problem is that you're not even trying to find good $%%# from the sounds of it. There's been dozens of good rap albums since The Cool. No, not Ross.

Back
Top Bottom