So I'm thinking about self-publishing this book...

...and I figured since y'all appreared to care last time I brought it up, I'd ask you what you thought. Check out this cool story:

Some of y'all might remember the other thread where I was writing a book about accidental kids and the father who are required by law to love them. I'm all done writing it now, which means it should be on it's way to bookshelves, right? Wrong.

See, there's a lot of steps between a Word document and Barnes and Noble for most books. Not gonna sit here and depress you with the process, but trust me...it's a !%+$%. I'm going through that--well, trying to start it--right now, but it takes a long time and a lot of help. (Not to mention that most of the people that can help me, literary agents, are women...surprisingly, most of them don't jump for joy when they hear about my idea of oopsie-babies.)

There is another way though. I could self-publish, but that requires book-printing money (and a lot of free advertisement like this), which requires people to sell the books you print to. The good thing about it is my book would be out in a couple of weeks instead of a year or more. I'm willing to make the investment like I did with book #1 (sig), but only if I think it's halfway worthwhile.

I can't decide whether to take the leap though...that's where y'all come in. I let NT make a lot of carer decisions for me before, and they've mostly worked out...so I'll ask this: should I self-publish and take all the responsibility for printing, selling, shipping, and getting it in stores or should I wait around for an agent/publisher to do it for me?

Anyway, let me know something...I need some opinions. Kthxholla.

Cliffs:

Wrote a book

Could wait for an agent/publisher

Don't wanna

Should I?

Read more often, please. Not for me, for you.

Originally Posted by jQQQQQ

Publish it as an e-book! If it's a good price I'll check it out.

Thinking about this too...if I can get enough interest to justify doing it, I'll go that route. I sold a lot of e-copies of my first one for $5 to raise money to print the physical ones, maybe I'll just have to do that again.

Originally Posted by potus2028

Originally Posted by jQQQQQ

Publish it as an e-book! If it's a good price I'll check it out.

Thinking about this too...if I can get enough interest to justify doing it, I'll go that route. I sold a lot of e-copies of my first one for $5 to raise money to print the physical ones, maybe I'll just have to do that again.

If this worked for you the first time around why not stick with the same formula? Only difference this time around is that you can learn from the mistakes you made the first time. 

^ didn't have quite the results I wanted...there's the advrtising difficulties, I was always short of printing money, there's the problem of maintaining intreast from e-book release to book-book release, and it seemed like everyone wanted a real book, more books than the proceeds from e-book sales could print, so I was always low on or out of stock...like right now. It's just something I'd rather not do again unless there's a big waiting market.

Originally Posted by d 2 the lo

Do you have enough loyal readers that would possibly fund your idea via Kickstarter?

Interesting idea...I thought about that, but I'm not quite sure if I do. It was enough trouble convincing everyone I know to buy the one i have out now...still trying, in fact. (Everyone who bought it did end up $+!%*%+ with it, so that was nice.) People talk a big game about support, but when the time comes up to put a couple dollars down, you start hearing less talk...

Bro, I'm an avid writer too, although I've never finished anything. I'll def cop when it comes out

you know i'm down if you go the kickstarter route...

i say get your Tyler Perry on and self publish then you'll have your own empire like him and can do #@*@ on your own terms

either way i'll cop...and hopefully finish the first one before the second one arrives
30t6p3b.gif

I'm trying to buy the book u have out now..... all the links aren't working

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Damn which ones? Let me know so I can fix that ASAP...and if you're still interested, inbox me...

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

you know i'm down if you go the kickstarter route...

i say get your Tyler Perry on and self publish then you'll have your own empire like him and can do ***# on your own terms

either way i'll cop...and hopefully finish the first one before the second one arrives
30t6p3b.gif

You know what, %%%! it...I think ima actually give this Kickstarter thing a shot. Doing %%%@ on my own terms does sound nice. As always, I appreciate the censored out of the support.

Need you to finish "FfYL" this year tho
laugh.gif

Damn which ones? Let me know so I can fix that ASAP...and if you're still interested, inbox me...
The link in your sig, when I hit the PayPal buy now button it just sends me to the paypal homepage.
but I ended up finding it on smashwords I think

The link in your sig, when I hit the PayPal buy now button it just sends me to the paypal homepage.
but I ended up finding it on smashwords I think

Thanks man, I'll have that fixed up soon...that's a serious problem. Thanks for your support anyway, hope you enjoy that.

Til that's back up, anybody else interested can just click on my blog link and visit the store...

Oh, btw update...I decided to go through with Kickstarter...prolly make a new thread when I get approved and all...

Hey just curious, do you have an e-book version of your first book?

I would cop a physical copy but I'm going out of town in two days and I wanna read it on the plane.

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

Hey just curious, do you have an e-book version of your first book?

I would cop a physical copy but I'm going out of town in two days and I wanna read it on the plane.

Yeah man absolutely...click the link in my sig and go to my store. There's a button I just fixed, it's $5 (free shipping
laugh.gif
). If you end up going for it, I +*!+%% appreciate it...let me know what you think.

Originally Posted by BlackSheep08

Posting for later I admire your courage and initiaitve, for real.

Thanks man...I just figure this is what I like doing, so why not try and make a career out of it? It'll beat the **$+ out of somebody's 9-5 if it works out...

Originally Posted by Classy Freshman

Go to creatspace. It is print on demand. That is what I did with my book, and it worked out great

Yup...that's what I did the first time around, quick turnaround, quality product, good prices...it's what I'm doing if this Kickstarter thing does what it's supposed to do. I'm printing up hundreds of books, some tees, condoms with my avy on 'em...I'm trying to really do this whole thing myself.

Anyway, what you write man?

Good luck! However, make sure you take care of those grammatical errors in your second book.

Originally Posted by kickstart

Good luck! However, make sure you take care of those grammatical errors in your second book.

Got a better editor this time around (somebody besides me). There's a fine line between stylized syntax and just sounding all %*%%*@ up...and I'm not always sober enough to walk it perfectly. I'm happy as long as my ideas get across, but I do realize I have no idea what a dangling participle is. Sounds a bit questionable, so I never studied that type of thing too closely...

...but wait, that means you read "FfYL", doesn't it!

Back
Top Bottom