***So my mom told me her job was out sourced today....***

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

I don't understand how theres not some federal regulation against this. How is it the economy is bad, people need jobs and the huge corporations are taking these jobs overseas.

How is outsourcing bad for the world economy?

You just said "people need jobs". Well this isn't eliminating jobs, it's relocating them. Did you mean "American people need jobs, not people overseas"? Not everything revolves around America. If you were a business owner, would you hire the worker who is more expensive or the worker who is cheaper, when both can get the job done?

I don't know much about economics, so please explain to me how switching workers to the cheaper alternative is bad for the world.

gotdamn i just realized

your mom 56 and you said she been working there for 37 years?!?

is this place her like only job history?

Originally Posted by scshift

I don't understand how theres not some federal regulation against this. How is it the economy is bad, people need jobs and the huge corporations are taking these jobs overseas.

You just said "people need jobs". Well this isn't eliminating jobs, it's relocating them. Did you mean "American people need jobs, not people overseas"? Not everything revolves around America. If you were a business owner, would you hire the worker who is more expensive or the worker who is cheaper, when both can get the job done?

I don't know much about economics, so please explain to me how switching workers to the cheaper alternative is bad for the world.

YOU CANNOT BE THIS BLIND .The problem is the fact these companies are trying to undercut Americans bypass tax laws ,its borderline illegal,they go overseas and hire people who have no clue about the language and no product expierence.

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

YOU CANNOT BE THIS BLIND .The problem is the fact these companies are trying to undercut Americans bypass tax laws ,its borderline illegal,they go overseas and hire people who have no clue about the language and no product expierence.

Now keep in mind I know nothing about economics or anything in general - you say the people these companies are hiring have no clue about the language or product experience. Is that really hurting these companies in any way? Or have they found an area that they can skimp in to save money?

And which law says you can't hire workers overseas?

Originally Posted by 1focusedfemale

My mother after 37 years of working for a WELL KNOWN bank was told today that her and the whole department will be let go because the job will be out sourced...... She has until april 1st to pack up her desk and leave... They found a company in india that will do the samething MUCH CHEAPER in less hours...... So she is forced into early retirement without full benifits..... Btw she has the years but not the age to retire with full benifits... (Shes 56).... The amount of anger i feel right now.... To hear my mother crying on the phone.... This is NOT right.... I feel bad.... Any kind, uplifting words i could give my mom would be appreciated....

You just need to comfort her  and tell her everything will be alright and you will get thru it.  Cuz you will get through it.   Tell her YOU ARE PROUD OF HER, and everything that she has done for you is appreciated to utmost.     Just give her some time to let it sink in... Then you go and look for new solution to make up for lost income.       It's just bad when things like this happen.    

Losing jobs to outsourcing is superbad, and I wish corporations would sacrifice some profits to keep jobs here, but this is capitalism.  Like OP said, India can do it cheaper and faster; if we (America) could do it faster with higher quality, I am sure they would stay.  If we believe in capitalism, then this move "should" lead to higher level jobs that pay better.

I do not see how this is borderline illegal.  They are playing by the rules.  However, I absolutely agree this is a problem.  We can fix it by making our tax laws more strict and go after companies not paying their fair share.

You all should google who the administration has as the head of their job board advisory.  His company has gone from having a majority of American employees to a majority of foreign employees and he's planning to vote for the opposite party this election.
sick.gif

Originally Posted by E3LAL

Losing jobs to outsourcing is superbad, and I wish corporations would sacrifice some profits to keep jobs here, but this is capitalism.  Like OP said, India can do it cheaper and faster; if we (America) could do it faster with higher quality, I am sure they would stay.  If we believe in capitalism, then this move "should" lead to higher level jobs that pay better.

I do not see how this is borderline illegal.  They are playing by the rules.  However, I absolutely agree this is a problem.  We can fix it by making our tax laws more strict and go after companies not paying their fair share.

You all should google who the administration has as the head of their job board advisory.  His company has gone from having a majority of American employees to a majority of foreign employees and he's planning to vote for the opposite party this election.
sick.gif

It's like the controversy over Foxconn making Apple products. They pay their employees $1 an hr, don't allow them to talk to each other or take breaks, 16hr days, 7 day weeks, and even many live on the campus. For those who have beef, there's 1000s literally lined up outside waiting to jump into your place. Think about how unproductive Americans are on average. First of all those terms are illegal here. Secondly, we're going to want a computer at our desk so we can spend 1/2 the time on facebook/twitter plus messing around on our phones and chatting/gossipping, health insurance, probably $15+ an hr, paid time off, etc. It's inhumane undoubtedly, but how much more would we have to pay for such items if they were produced in the US? Would we then complain about the price of those items?

Your mom should start her own business and become essentially a contractor. It might be tougher with a systems analyst then with say a webmaster but anything's possible and beats clocking in for the man. And of course until she figures that out, there's funemployment. I wish her the best.

And they said jobs were safe...
30t6p3b.gif

Sorry to hear the news OP. It happens tho, Corporate America.

Keep your head up and remember... stack up and do what you want in life.

Learn from this experience.

Originally Posted by KatieJade4

Tell her to move to India. What an awesome experience that would be.

billion plus people? not the greatest of moves. been there done that came back

Sorry for gettin back so late fellas this has been rough on me.... I have tried to stay positive and strong for my mom and let her know everything happens for a reason and after workin 30+ years maybe its time for her to take sometime for herself and enjoy her retirement even tho it was forced upon her.... She loves to travel and we have lots of fam down south so now is the time to see them more often and enjoy the warm weather.... I let her know me and my brother are here to help and we would never let her go without anything..... And a JOB does not define her... Shes so much more than a systems analyst....My mother has always been a saver so i dont doubt that she has a lil something put to the side for retirement plus my moms hands are gettin so bad from typeing all these years... Her WPM are CRAZY! Ive never seen anybody type that fast! No thats not her whole work history shes had jobs on the side to make sure me and my bro had nice christmases and birthdays but the bank has always been her main job.... I mean the people in her department seen me and my brother grow up... She has seen their kids grow up... Its jus a tough pill to swallow...

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

It's like the controversy over Foxconn making Apple products. They pay their employees $1 an hr, don't allow them to talk to each other or take breaks, 16hr days, 7 day weeks, and even many live on the campus. For those who have beef, there's 1000s literally lined up outside waiting to jump into your place. Think about how unproductive Americans are on average. First of all those terms are illegal here. Secondly, we're going to want a computer at our desk so we can spend 1/2 the time on facebook/twitter plus messing around on our phones and chatting/gossipping, health insurance, probably $15+ an hr, paid time off, etc. It's inhumane undoubtedly, but how much more would we have to pay for such items if they were produced in the US? Would we then complain about the price of those items?

The funny thing with the controversy is the people whining are those in America buying the damn products. They want cheap, quality products AND the workers to be treated on a higher level.

Is it really inhumane or wrong to treat the workers like that if they want it? Like you said, there are literally thousands lined up waiting for these jobs. They want these jobs and they covet them. At the end of the day, they're willing to do something Americans won't do - work longer and more efficiently in worse conditions for less pay.

We can complain when jobs are outsourced, but the fact is that the company can and will hire a cheaper, more efficient worker. If you want to take these outsourced jobs back, then work even faster/better for even less money while living in even worse conditions - I guarantee you will be employed.

sadly some person or group of people high enough up the corporate ladder got some options or possibly a bonus for going through with something that certainly didnt benefit the consumer other than some possible claim that doing so "will keep penalty/banking fees lower" or some other nonsense

tired.gif

and the money that bank is going to save on cutting out your mom's department is going straight back into the pockets of the people at the top

30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom