So someone Tried to set me up by poppin checks..........

a few days ago I sent my resume to a guy claiming to be with IWC watches Inc for a personal assistant/ data entry job etc..

About two days later he emails me telling me that he plans on hiring me but he's away on business for a few days so he'll give me a call when he gets back. So i'm thinking Ok when he gets back to the city i'll go meet him at his office and discuss the job & salary etc.

Fast forward about a week same dude calls me and says he's ready to start the first assignment even though we've never met, never did any paperwork, no background check NOTHING (so from this point i know its a scam). He then sends me a text telling me he has four clients who need watches and he will be sending me a check that i should deposit in my account, take my 10% commision off of and then wire him the rest

this morning i get a knock on my door from Fed-Ex with a Check for 2,300 in my name signed by a name that is completely different from the man who has contacted me, i call his phone he doesnt respond but chooses to text me right after
laugh.gif
. Obviously the check is either 1)fake 2)authentic but is going to bounce in about a week or two.

my ? is can i be held accountable for anything if i don't cash the check. Whoever this guy is has obviously got his hands on someones check book and is probably sending out several checks by using this same scam, so he's eventually going to get caught & i don't want my name mixed up with this at all. Can i just call the bank and tell them to cancel the check?

Cliffs

It's a fake check. Take it to a check cashier and they'll tell you it's a copy. Just take it to the bank and give them the check so they could investigate and find the dude if u want to.

when i was 20 i would have done it.

i'm 32 with kids and much smarter.......or.......smart enough to know what i could lose anyway.

don't do it. your finger print and ID will be attached to that cashed check. you have no way of getting a hold of this guy if the cops arrest you. you have no idea what his real name is or if the phone he is using will actually lead the cops to him. you will be arrested with no way to prove your an idiot who got "scammed."

good luck.

cliffs:

you stole someone's check book and plan on doing this scam yourself.

Under no circumstance do i plan on cashing the check.... I just want to know if there will be any hassle at all considering my name was put on the check

Originally Posted by tyisny

Under no circumstance do i plan on cashing the check.... I just want to know if there will be any hassle at all considering my name was put on the check

No... if the check is made out to you, then it's technically your money. If you don't cash your own money, there will be no issues...

You need to move immediately, gather only items you need and get outta town. ASAP!

Sounds very similar to a reply I got for a job I had applied, but in this one the guy was buying oil paintings. As soon as he hit me with the I'm out of town but I have a task for you and you can start right away. I clicked on delete, few days later I get a follow up email with a new one.

Yea its super fishy... but the sad truth is that dude is going to get a few people to +### their bank accounts up

however this is a perfect scam for somebody if they need quick money to flip, #imnotabouthatlife/currently

Just rip the check up.

Nothing will happen other than you might need to change your phone number and now this guy has your address....

report this guy to your local authorities
ask him where to send the money and give the address to the cops

Happen to me once. Some dude sent me 3 money orders each for $800 and I was to take out my part and wire the rest. I sent him an email letting him know that i was contacting the authorities, I ripped up the checks and never heard from him again.

Kind sir, the check is real, but there isnt any money in the account it is written for. It takes a while for checks to clear so he wants you to wire the dough before it does. If you have any dough in your account, that is what you are going to be wiring to him. Then you will be stuck with zero money and a fine from your bank for the bounced check. Don't do it. This is an old school scam. I can tell from your post that you are an honest person. Because of this, I believe that we can do business together. I have a cousin who is a prince in Nigeria , but the economy of his state is failing. He has 20 million dollars in an account that he needs to remove from the country immediately. Because of your honesty and obviously high intellect, I believe that I can trust you to help us in this matter. There will be a 10% payment to you for this service. Pm me if you are interested. Have a blessed day through Christ the king.

Originally Posted by JChambers

Kind sir, the check is real, but there isnt any money in the account it is written for. It takes a while for checks to clear so he wants you to wire the dough before it does. If you have any dough in your account, that is what you are going to be wiring to him. Then you will be stuck with zero money and a fine from your bank for the bounced check. Don't do it. This is an old school scam. I can tell from your post that you are an honest person. Because of this, I believe that we can do business together. I have a cousin who is a prince in Nigeria , but the economy of his state is failing. He has 20 million dollars in an account that he needs to remove from the country immediately. Because of your honesty and obviously high intellect, I believe that I can trust you to help us in this matter. There will be a 10% payment to you for this service. Pm me if you are interested. Have a blessed day through Christ the king.

roll.gif
roll.gif
trollin. its like nigeria's biggest export is scams, that country is used for them so much. damn near mailed my phone to there selling it on ebay. won't be getting caught making that mistake again. idk why its the country to use to scam people, maybe its lowkey racism idk..

it's fraud, I've been there and done that don't waste your time on those schemes you'll find on Craigslist

You edited your post 3 times to post that corny $%%%
wink.gif

Originally Posted by tyisny

You edited your post 3 times to post that corny $%%%
wink.gif

Don't get mad at me because you are idiotic enough to give your address and full name to a Nigerian scammer online. Good luck with your get rich quick schemes in the future, buddy. I am sure that they will work out for you.
grin.gif

Bruh I got offered a data entry job like this last August...I even was sent the check in a Fedex package lol

Dont do it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom