So Unemployment Benefits Are Ending Next Week?

When you have a family to support and don't live with "mommy" it's not "funemployment". It's keeping your head above water.

When I was wrongfully terminated, I collected. I networked immediately and had a few interviews in a matter of days but they just didn't materialize. I went back to school to get my EMT certification. Couldn't get a gig because I didn't have experience so I started volunteering. Finally found a job. It paid LESS than unemployment but I took it because I just couldn't see myself staying home anymore gaining tons of weight, had a very short fuse, feeling very depressed, filling literally dozens of applications daily.

I hate when people milk the system. Nice guys finish last.

Your post is full of assumptions. I wasnt living with "mommy" when receiving unemployment. I received the maximum amount in my state, plus getting the maximum financial aid possible, plus all the under the table money I was getting, aside from that I got decent air airline and hotel connects. I was doing decent, traveling a few times a month, taking care of my education and enjoying myself.

Regarding taking a job that paid less then unemployment. Thats just stupid. You should've made better use of your time rather then settle for a job. All that time on your hands you couldve been working out rather then gainig weight. It makes no sense to settle for a job that paid less then your previous job or what you would be getting to not work. This just being foolish although the volunteer part and going to school makes sense.

If people have issue with unemployment then jobs shouldn't terminate people for rediculous reasons and then act surprised when they collect unemployment. My former employer appealed my benifits and made a fool of themselves at the appeal hearing and I won easily. If jobs don't want former employers collecting then don't fire them for unwarranted reasons, simple as that.

if and idividual gets fired through no fault of their own then its common sense to treat unemployment as leverage and ride it out until you find a job that works for you pay and distance wise.

Regarding the last part, you must hate when corporate heads really milk the system for big money then id assume.

^ this right here. dude is saying he hates how people milk the system. I earned that break from working 6 days a week at 6am, putting in 15-20hrs of overtime weekly. I was with the company for almost 4yrs and they decide to let people go. like im really going to take a job that pays min wage over max benefits of unemployment and a tax free under the table job. FOH :lol:

Last edited:
This contractor that I know is about to lose his job and he said "Its okay ill just collect unemployement for a year or two" guess that wont happen now.

^ this right here. dude is saying he hates how people milk the system. I earned that break from working 6 days a week at 6am, putting in 15-20hrs of overtime weekly. I was with the company for almost 4yrs and they decide to let people go. like im really going to take a job that pays min wage over max benefits of unemployment and a tax free under the table job. FOH :lol:

Exacty. So many people are misinformed on this issue. Every paycheck I got from my last job. I had taxes taken out. Me getting unemployment is that tax money being to use for a program like that which holds people down when their no longer employed through no fault of their own.

If jobs focused on stability rather then at times trying to have a revolving door of employees then this would be more of a non issue imo. People want to work, not get fired for ******ed reasons.

That's because the economy is in dumps, and profits are at a all time high though. Also people on unemployment use their money in the economy nobody is 'living the high life' on unemployment. It's really a drop in the bucket compared to corporate welfare, but it's always easier to kick people when their down.
so much easier to kick the little guy..

You earned? :smh:

Exacty. So many people are misinformed on this issue. Every paycheck I got from my last job. I had taxes taken out. Me getting unemployment is that tax money being to use for a program like that which holds people down when their no longer employed through no fault of their own.

If jobs focused on stability rather then at times trying to have a revolving door of employees then this would be more of a non issue imo. People want to work, not get fired for ******ed reasons.
exactly. I claim zero on my w-2 so all that OT, 5% in 401k, health and dental benefits took a chunk out of my check. im just earning back in unemployment what I paid taxes. yet people in here crying rivers they hate people milking the system. be mad at the people milking welfare who can clearly work but decide to spend it in drug money

Your post is full of assumptions. I wasnt living with "mommy" when receiving unemployment. I received the maximum amount in my state, plus getting the maximum financial aid possible, plus all the under the table money I was getting, aside from that I got decent air airline and hotel connects. I was doing decent, traveling a few times a month, taking care of my education and enjoying myself.

Never said you lived with mom. Our situations were obviously different. I didnt find anything "fun" in being unemployed. Yeah it was cool at first having extra time on my hands, but that got stale quick. I didnt have "under the table money". Had you gotten caught with all this unreported income, your benefits would have been taken away and you would have to repay them.Try traveling a few times a month then. Guess you got lucky.

Regarding taking a job that paid less then unemployment. Thats just stupid. You should've made better use of your time rather then settle for a job. All that time on your hands you couldve been working out rather then gainig weight. It makes no sense to settle for a job that paid less then your previous job or what you would be getting to not work. This just being foolish although the volunteer part and going to school makes sense.

I have a strong work ethic. What an idiot right?
I didnt want my kids seeing me day in and day out unemployed. Im a Moron!
Aside from all that Kumbaya stuff, it was the job before the job. I completely switched fields from retail management to Medical, so networking wasnt helping much (different circles). I was willing to put in time at the bottom to get where Im at now. Short term loss, long term gain.

If people have issue with unemployment then jobs shouldn't terminate people for rediculous reasons and then act surprised when they collect unemployment. My former employer appealed my benifits and made a fool of themselves at the appeal hearing and I won easily. If jobs don't want former employers collecting then don't fire them for unwarranted reasons, simple as that.

if and idividual gets fired through no fault of their own then its common sense to treat unemployment as leverage and ride it out until you find a job that works for you pay and distance wise.

Repped for the bold part. I got terminated for a BS reason. Initially got denied and won the appeal. You are not going to find someone that has a problem with people collecting unemployment when they actually deserve it.

Regarding the last part, you must hate when corporate heads really milk the system for big money then id assume.

These are the REAL crooks. $405 per week is drop in the bucket compared to the cooperate welfare. Especially considering that Ive put way more money into the system then funds received in UI. Cooporate government bailouts are straight disgusting :smh:
It was just announced that Warren Buffet made $37 Million dollars a day this year. Every. Single. Friggin. Day.
Every time the media post about the fictional knockout game, a Kanye West rant, duck dynasty scandal its just a distraction to the real news. But thats a whole nother thread.

Edit: Accidentally a word.

Last edited:
ive seen people on it for years. working temp work and still collecting. I need to read up more on unemployment because the whole thing doesn't make sense to me.

You can work and still collect. But they take .50 on the dollar of your benifits

Also I know in my state which is stupid, it takes 3-4 weeks for benifits to kick in. well all know how temp job s are, some last few days some a week some a month or some will fire you for anything.

They say when you get a temp job to notify unemployment which they will cut you off regardless if your working a 1 day 1 week or 1 month assignement, then you have to reopen your case and wait another 3-4 weeks for benifits again while in the meantime your bills are pillling up
They should make everyone on unemployment work 2-4 days a week doing community service. Way to many people don't realize that your suppose to be job searching while collecting, not sitting on your behind.

Unemployment checks is no different than EBT or tax refunds. People will find ways to abuse and cheat the system.
Its my money anyways. you put into your own unemployment. How much you get depends on how much you put in
son im making $250 a week working 25 hours a week at my PT.

I had no idea you could make that much on unemployment. No wonder people be milking it like that.
its different per state. TN its $275
Welfare, as in TANF cash, there's a 60 month "lifetime" limit. You can use those months as needed (stagger them). But cannot exceed a total of 60 months in your lifetime. So no there is no "unlimited" welfare. However a parent may reach their 60 months, but their children haven't, (the months are only counted when you turn 18), thus the reason why you see human baby factories in the welfare system. No lifetime limits on food stamps (SNAP) though.
WW no wonder they keep having kids... Also the max cash is like 10k per year. I dont see how people can sit on their butt and feel content living off that
exactly. I claim zero on my w-2 so all that OT, 5% in 401k, health and dental benefits took a chunk out of my check. im just earning back in unemployment what I paid taxes. yet people in here crying rivers they hate people milking the system. be mad at the people milking welfare who can clearly work but decide to spend it in drug money
I never understand why people claim zero.  The max you can claim is 3 I think as a single person. Why let the IRS make money off your money Put that money into your check

Last edited:
You can work and still collect. But they take .50 on the dollar of your benifits
Also I know in my state which is stupid, it takes 3-4 weeks for benifits to kick in. well all know how temp job s are, some last few days some a week some a month or some will fire you for anything.

They say when you get a temp job to notify unemployment which they will cut you off regardless if your working a 1 day 1 week or 1 month assignement, then you have to reopen your case and wait another 3-4 weeks for benifits again while in the meantime your bills are pillling up

Its my money anyways. you put into your own unemployment. How much you get depends on how much you put in

its different per state. TN its $275

WW no wonder they keep having kids... Also the max cash is like 10k per year. I dont see how people can sit on their butt and feel content living off that

I never understand why people claim zero.  The max you can claim is 3 I think as a single person. Why let the IRS make money off your money Put that money into your check
Dont mean to derail, but what are the differences/benifits when it comes to claiming 0 or 1? Can you change what you claim?

Just To Reiterate, Cause I Seen It Pop Up In A Few Replies.....WE As Taxpayers Do Not Pay For Unemployment. WE Do Not Pay Into Anything That Entitles Us To Collect UI, It Is An Eligibility Program. Business Tax Is What Pays For It.

This dude besteg is corny. You know you can fill job applications out online from your house right? Most jobs prefer that route.

You don't get paid for community service so that would be wasting my time taking away for searching for jobs and being available for interviews.

Some people's lives really revolve around work :lol:

Taking a job that's less than unemployment is the exact definition of hustling backwards.

^ this right here. dude is saying he hates how people milk the system. I earned that break from working 6 days a week at 6am, putting in 15-20hrs of overtime weekly. I was with the company for almost 4yrs and they decide to let people go. like im really going to take a job that pays min wage over max benefits of unemployment and a tax free under the table job. FOH
laugh.gif

You earned?
mean.gif
the company pays into it a portion of what you EARN while working for them.

That's because the economy is in dumps, and profits are at a all time high though. Also people on unemployment use their money in the economy nobody is 'living the high life' on unemployment. It's really a drop in the bucket compared to corporate welfare, but it's always easier to kick people when their down.

This.

Just To Reiterate, Cause I Seen It Pop Up In A Few Replies.....WE As Taxpayers Do Not Pay For Unemployment. WE Do Not Pay Into Anything That Entitles Us To Collect UI, It Is An Eligibility Program. Business Tax Is What Pays For It.

This, also. Businesses pay into this. You have to work in order to receive unemployment, it's not like folks just quit working and start collecting money :lol: too much Fox News

Last edited:
I was on unemployment for a while. Why would i take a job working 40+ hours a week when i can make more on unemployment and help out my family?

i was receiving federal unemployment till the end of october. in november i got hired full-time. i did not collect any benefits. a month later i was laid-off because the it was not working out for the employer. i emailed EDD to ask if i would continue my benefits i was on due to the fact that it was only working for about a month or if i needed to file a new claim. i have not heard back. does anyone know what i would do?

Taken from the CA EDD website:
The EDD is notifying unemployment claimants that federal extension benefits are set to expire at the end of 2013. Unless the U.S. Congress and the President take any further action, California and all other states can no longer pay these federal extension benefits for weeks ending after December 28, 2013.

That means no further weeks of extension benefits can be paid after the end of the year, even if someone remains unemployed and still has a remaining balance on his or her extension.

The EDD is closely monitoring the situation in Washington D.C. for any changes to the scheduled shutdown of these federal extension benefits. There are three bills that have been introduced in Congress that would continue the federal extension program for one or two additional years. Two of those bills were introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives and one in the U.S. Senate, but there has yet to be any action taken. If there are any developments, the EDD will quickly update this federal extension informational page.

It's been the same situation for the past few years, with extended benefits being reinstated each time. The EDD uses the state's unemployment rate as a gauge to determine whether or not extended benefits are necessary, and how many total extensions (or weeks) will be allowed, which is why a total of 99 weeks were available at the peak of the unemployment rate and has steadily declined as the unemployment rate decreases.

I would imagine that extended benefits are more than likely going to be reinstated.

Last edited:

i was receiving federal unemployment till the end of october. in november i got hired full-time. i did not collect any benefits. a month later i was laid-off because the it was not working out for the employer. i emailed EDD to ask if i would continue my benefits i was on due to the fact that it was only working for about a month or if i needed to file a new claim. i have not heard back. does anyone know what i would do?
i think you have to work for 6 months minimum to collect benefits, well i think thats how it works in california.

Back
Top Bottom