So who else is sending their child to a private school? VOL. "I value education."

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I went to public and private school, specifically high school and as far as what I've seen private school is not offering anything more in the education department than public schools.

The same distractions are present in both except private schools somehow fool parents in to thinking they do not exist. A tie and pants uniform just makes you look like a !#@*#@$ when you're doing it.

well i didnt go to a public high school so i cant 100% back your statement up, but i went to a private high school and felt the education was sub par to be honest, you could tell most of the teachers didnt want to be there. Again this is just speaking from my own and only my experience , obviously its not like that everywhere

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I went to public and private school, specifically high school and as far as what I've seen private school is not offering anything more in the education department than public schools.

The same distractions are present in both except private schools somehow fool parents in to thinking they do not exist. A tie and pants uniform just makes you look like a !#@*#@$ when you're doing it.

well i didnt go to a public high school so i cant 100% back your statement up, but i went to a private high school and felt the education was sub par to be honest, you could tell most of the teachers didnt want to be there. Again this is just speaking from my own and only my experience , obviously its not like that everywhere

I went to private school all my life.  I appreciate the way it prepared me for everything after, but I hardly feel its "necessary".  Depending on where you live and the public schools available, I think they can work just fine.  Obviously if you aren't pleased with the way your public school district works and educates, then you have to look at other options.

I simply don't understand "home school" for the "average" child.  If your child has special needs or issues that need to be attended to by you personally or another family member, that is fine, but the idea that a child "NEEDS" to be home schooled is outrageous to me.  Kids spend 40 hours or so a week @ school.  That leaves about 128-63(sleep)= 65 that you have with them to educate them as YOU (your spouse/partner, etc...) see fit.  Maybe you/sig. other work crazy hours so subtract 30-40 hours.  That still leaves 25 or so hours a week for you to personally educate, discipline, instill values, etc.. in your child.  

The social interaction, peer exposure, and just exposure to a variety of things in general in a school environment is pretty important in my opinion for most children.  If they don't have that, and you simply choose to plug them into other activities on the side, I still think they will lack much of that exposure.  This will probably only hurt them in the long run, as they will struggle to adapt when/if they are ever thrown into the "real world".

Obviously just my opinion here, but good discussion.  Appreciate OP posing the question.

I went to private school all my life.  I appreciate the way it prepared me for everything after, but I hardly feel its "necessary".  Depending on where you live and the public schools available, I think they can work just fine.  Obviously if you aren't pleased with the way your public school district works and educates, then you have to look at other options.

I simply don't understand "home school" for the "average" child.  If your child has special needs or issues that need to be attended to by you personally or another family member, that is fine, but the idea that a child "NEEDS" to be home schooled is outrageous to me.  Kids spend 40 hours or so a week @ school.  That leaves about 128-63(sleep)= 65 that you have with them to educate them as YOU (your spouse/partner, etc...) see fit.  Maybe you/sig. other work crazy hours so subtract 30-40 hours.  That still leaves 25 or so hours a week for you to personally educate, discipline, instill values, etc.. in your child.  

The social interaction, peer exposure, and just exposure to a variety of things in general in a school environment is pretty important in my opinion for most children.  If they don't have that, and you simply choose to plug them into other activities on the side, I still think they will lack much of that exposure.  This will probably only hurt them in the long run, as they will struggle to adapt when/if they are ever thrown into the "real world".

Obviously just my opinion here, but good discussion.  Appreciate OP posing the question.

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

private school in elementary, public afterwards

that's not a bad idea actually. start them in private school early so they can learn more than the average kid in certain public schools (the right private school I'm sure teaches their students on a faster pace than other schools).....then while they get the proper teaching, send them to public schools later so they can witness both side's of the spectrum. By the time they get to 7th grade, they'll already prob be a step ahead of most kids in that public school when it comes to math, etc.

Originally Posted by jawnyquest

private school in elementary, public afterwards

that's not a bad idea actually. start them in private school early so they can learn more than the average kid in certain public schools (the right private school I'm sure teaches their students on a faster pace than other schools).....then while they get the proper teaching, send them to public schools later so they can witness both side's of the spectrum. By the time they get to 7th grade, they'll already prob be a step ahead of most kids in that public school when it comes to math, etc.

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Think I want to home school my kids. I want to teach them how to think not be indoctrinated.

indifferent.gif
I would ask you why you stonefaced...but then I realized I really don't give a $%%%
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Think I want to home school my kids. I want to teach them how to think not be indoctrinated.

indifferent.gif
I would ask you why you stonefaced...but then I realized I really don't give a $%%%
laugh.gif

I'll likely send my kids to private school. The connections I have from attending private school are priceless.

I'll likely send my kids to private school. The connections I have from attending private school are priceless.

Was reading this article for hw and made me think about this thread

[h1][/h1]
[h1]The Best School $75 Million Can Buy[/h1]
10avenue_span-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Hiroko Masuike/The New York Times, left and bottom right; Perkins Eastman

From left, Alan Greenberg, Benno Schmidt and Chris Whittle are betting on their investment in Avenues, a new private school scheduled to open in 2012. Above right, a rendering of the school, and below, the school's exterior.
[h6]By JENNY ANDERSON[/h6][h6]Published: July 8, 2011 [/h6]How do you sell a school that doesn’t exist?
Enlarge This Image
[img]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/i...jpAVENUE1/10jpAVENUE1-articleInline.jpg[/img]
[h6]Michael Kamber for The New York Times[/h6]
HOPES AND PLANS Nyla Hernandez with her father, Danny, left, and a member of the admissions team at an information session.

If you are Chris Whittle, an educational entrepreneur, you gather well-to-do parents at places like the Harvard Club or the Crosby Hotel in Manhattan, hoping the feeling of accomplishment will rub off. Then you pour wine and offer salmon sandwiches and wow the audience with pictures of the stunning new private school you plan to build in Chelsea. Focus on the bilingual curriculum and the collaborative approach to learning. And take swipes at established competitors that you believe are overly focused on sending students to top-tier colleges. Invoke some Tiger-mom fear by pointing out that 200,000 Americans are learning Chinese, while 300 million Chinese have studied English.

Then watch them come.

As of June 15, more than 1,200 families had applied for early admission to Avenues: The World School, a for-profit private school co-founded by Mr. Whittle that will not open its doors until September 2012. Acceptance letters go out this week. Gardner P. Dunnan, the former head of the Dalton School and academic dean and head of the upper school at Avenues, said he expected 5,000 applicants for the 1,320 spots available from nursery through ninth grade. “You have to see the enthusiasm,

Was reading this article for hw and made me think about this thread

[h1][/h1]
[h1]The Best School $75 Million Can Buy[/h1]
10avenue_span-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Hiroko Masuike/The New York Times, left and bottom right; Perkins Eastman

From left, Alan Greenberg, Benno Schmidt and Chris Whittle are betting on their investment in Avenues, a new private school scheduled to open in 2012. Above right, a rendering of the school, and below, the school's exterior.
[h6]By JENNY ANDERSON[/h6][h6]Published: July 8, 2011 [/h6]How do you sell a school that doesn’t exist?
Enlarge This Image
[img]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/i...jpAVENUE1/10jpAVENUE1-articleInline.jpg[/img]
[h6]Michael Kamber for The New York Times[/h6]
HOPES AND PLANS Nyla Hernandez with her father, Danny, left, and a member of the admissions team at an information session.

If you are Chris Whittle, an educational entrepreneur, you gather well-to-do parents at places like the Harvard Club or the Crosby Hotel in Manhattan, hoping the feeling of accomplishment will rub off. Then you pour wine and offer salmon sandwiches and wow the audience with pictures of the stunning new private school you plan to build in Chelsea. Focus on the bilingual curriculum and the collaborative approach to learning. And take swipes at established competitors that you believe are overly focused on sending students to top-tier colleges. Invoke some Tiger-mom fear by pointing out that 200,000 Americans are learning Chinese, while 300 million Chinese have studied English.

Then watch them come.

As of June 15, more than 1,200 families had applied for early admission to Avenues: The World School, a for-profit private school co-founded by Mr. Whittle that will not open its doors until September 2012. Acceptance letters go out this week. Gardner P. Dunnan, the former head of the Dalton School and academic dean and head of the upper school at Avenues, said he expected 5,000 applicants for the 1,320 spots available from nursery through ninth grade. “You have to see the enthusiasm,

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Went to both, imo private was infinitely better. Never really understood why I went to public at all, where I was, most of the students cared about their fashion and which rappers said what more than about knowledge and the material.

yup

My local public high school, even though it was in a good neighborhood, had a daycare center for its students
eek.gif
laugh.gif
also had a pathetic graduation rate and disgustingly low % of kids who went to college (99% at my high school, 40% at my local one). I don't want my kids hanging around illiterate hood @#!$

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Went to both, imo private was infinitely better. Never really understood why I went to public at all, where I was, most of the students cared about their fashion and which rappers said what more than about knowledge and the material.

yup

My local public high school, even though it was in a good neighborhood, had a daycare center for its students
eek.gif
laugh.gif
also had a pathetic graduation rate and disgustingly low % of kids who went to college (99% at my high school, 40% at my local one). I don't want my kids hanging around illiterate hood @#!$

No. Why? People who went to my highschool, 30 of them in my senior class went to ivy league schools. The others went to basically every UC in california. Waste of money if you ask me

No. Why? People who went to my highschool, 30 of them in my senior class went to ivy league schools. The others went to basically every UC in california. Waste of money if you ask me

I've went to public school my entire life. I went to a good college and am now in law school, but I HATED public school so much. I did so bad in HS I had to go to a junior college to get my stuff together. I went to a "good" high school, but the teacher and administrators were terrible. When I have kids they will defiantly start out in private schools (k-
glasses.gif
to get the foundation of studying and being competitive in the class room. Not sure what I would do when its time for high school.

I do wonder in private high schools are grades based on curves? I would fear that my kid would get lower grades and not go to a great school b/c of the competition.

I've went to public school my entire life. I went to a good college and am now in law school, but I HATED public school so much. I did so bad in HS I had to go to a junior college to get my stuff together. I went to a "good" high school, but the teacher and administrators were terrible. When I have kids they will defiantly start out in private schools (k-
glasses.gif
to get the foundation of studying and being competitive in the class room. Not sure what I would do when its time for high school.

I do wonder in private high schools are grades based on curves? I would fear that my kid would get lower grades and not go to a great school b/c of the competition.

Teacher at a private school checking in...

An education is what you make of it. I have cream of the crop students in every class, and also a few kids who do not put in any effort to apply themselves.

Wherever you send your child, make the most out of all the opportunities that school provides (granted private > public as far as extra curricular options go)

Back
Top Bottom