So Who Killed R&B?

When did looks become more important then your voice. Where the hell is Mario. Was Dru Hill and Jagged Edge that last of harmonizing?

i'm not in the industry, but i put my blame on the industry. in the early to mid 90's, we saw the last of the greats get pushed aside for the pop/hiphop trend.

Originally Posted by 03silverbullet

i'm not in the industry, but i put my blame on the industry.
I love it when people say this.

So the listener/consumer is a just a helpless puppet to whatever the "industry" decides it wants to sell them?

You're giving the "industry" too much credit and you're not giving yourselves any.

At this point, the "industry" is adapting to what you want more than it's dictating.

all this new R&B out now is garbage, the older stuff from the 90's > the new crap that's been put out in the later 2000's

Originally Posted by KingJaffeJo

The R&B artists did....every singer wants to be a rapper now.
eek.gif

Anthony Hamilton? Saadiq? Raheem Devaughn? 

The good ones don't really have an underground avenue like underground rappers do. Everything in the mainstream now is really disposable and nowhere as good as R&B was even 6 years ago.

Industry is looking for anything new but really doesn't know what the fans want so we get a lot of trash. The fans have stopped supporting the good R&B music. I really noticed this happening just my hearing the difference in sound and quality over time.

Just as sad as current hip hop.

r kelly.

personally i think this guy sucks. great voice but this guy has no tact. a handful of good songs...but some of the most ridiculous songs i've ever heard in my life.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

The good ones don't really have an underground avenue like underground rappers do. Everything in the mainstream now is really disposable and nowhere as good as R&B was even 6 years ago.

Industry is looking for anything new but really doesn't know what the fans want so we get a lot of trash. The fans have stopped supporting the good R&B music. I really noticed this happening just my hearing the difference in sound and quality over time.

Just as sad as current hip hop.

I blame the dumb fans 100%. Its not cool for the younger generation. It's like they think RB is for girls and if it doesn't resemble something up tempo then it's soft. Is the hip hop community the only genre of music aimed towards teens. Like do Execs in other genre like country and rock only support the needs of the youngins? I know pop is, but I hate seeing hiphop and RB become "poppish"

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

r kelly.

personally i think this guy sucks. great voice but this guy has no tact. a handful of good songs...but some of the most ridiculous songs i've ever heard in my life.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

r kelly.

R Kelly just tried to fit in to much...
But Kellz has a bunch of Classic songs. to say a handful of "good songs" is disrespectful

R. Kelly is a legend but he played a part by making those borderline parody songs.

(Not gonna lie, the first time I hear "Trapped In The Closet" I was half asleep, and I woke the hell up at the very end doing the weebay.gif
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

autotune
this.

T-Pain messed R&B up starting with the autotune where tons of artists started hopping on autotune and/or trying to sound futuristic. It carried over to now trying to sound like techno and +*%@.

its still alive its just artists dont know how to make that passionate r&b anymore thats all

Back
Top Bottom